1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mlp

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ScatteredEarth, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ScatteredEarth

Can someone tell me.. In a CIVIL manner, as to what is so special about the series? If I'm correct the show was made to target an audience of females ages 5-13 mainly but more and more frequently there are men of varying ages who show fascination in the series. What is its appeal to people? To me it's just a show about ponies.. Could I be wrong or something? Is there some deeper meaning that I'm just not getting here?

Anyway, I could never get into the series or anything, but what do you guys think of it.. And if you're into it, what makes it appeal to you the most?

2. Hrantou

I'm as lost as you are. I once showed my 2 nieces that show and they thought it was stupid and only watched 5 minutes of it, and they're 7 and 9 years old. Yet I know grown men who watch it and love it. They're called "Bronies" for anyone who doesn't know.

3. Abbra

I'm not super into it like a lot of bronies are, but I do enjoy the show.

I think a lot of the appeal comes from the way the show is put together. Lauren Faust (the creator) was very influential in some of the early 00's cartoons; Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. For a lot of bronies, these shows were very influential in their childhoods, and MLP is structured in a very similar way. This creates a somewhat nostalgic wave, because current cartoons are structured a little differently than what we are used to, wheras MLP is familiar.

The show is also mainly famous for its characters, rather than its plot. The shows various plotlines are very simple. It is structured with a friendship problem (many of which are still used in young children's television shows), a solution, and a moral at the end. However, this simple structure ends up getting fleshed out in ways that many children's shows don't dare. Fluttershy and Rarity are prime examples of this. Where most children's cartoons would look down upon these characters (Fluttershy is shy and Rarity is vain), MLP simply accepts their personalities and shows ways they can solve their problems while staying true to themselves.

Not only that, but the show's cast is very interactive with it's fanbase. Many of the memes and OC's founded by the fans have been incorporated or called out in the show. This creates a sense of community with fans and the creators. The show also has an interesting art style, and humor that can be enjoyed by adults and kids.

So it's basically just an interesting show that found a very sturdy fan base.

4. Hun

Hun

Where do I begin?
    Animation is absolutely amazing, the characters are loveable, the music and sound design are brilliant. It's just all around a fantastic show.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never really got way into the show, but I thought it was alright.

6. Sarcastic Luck

I can't see the point of it. Quite honestly, I can't stand the show, but I think that more has to do with some of the more vocal members of the fan base.

7. ScatteredEarth

Yea I was just talking about that in the chat room. It's really annoying to see other peoples opinions shoved down my throat but not willing to take any form of counter opinion.

I think Abbra worded it perfectly however.. Atleast someone has a knowledge as to why they like it.

8. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of it has to do with the characters and the way the show is produced. I mean if you watch it compared to other shows aimed at 5-13 year old girls, it blows them out of the water. I mean the show is so well written, has both dark and bright themes, can provide deeper metaphorical meanings (like the episode "Feeling Pinkie Keen" which is a science vs. religion type of thing), all while staying within the guidelines of a small children's show. That's not to mention how well developed the characters are. They're all like people and deal with problems that a lot of people can relate to. Plus there's the animation style. There are A LOT of poorly animated shows that try to make things cute and wind up just making them weird, but this show balances things well to make it look good without being stupid. The show is just really well done and kind of breaks the thought that a girls show has to be stupid and provide no conflict and always be happy and good. It's just a really well made show, and I think that's why so many people enjoy it and applaud it. :slight_smile:

9. Foxface

I adore the show. It was made specifically for the whole range of ages to enjoy. It's well drawn and has thought out plots. There is a beautiful innocence to the plots as well. It teaches us that kindness and laughter aren't dead. There are some nice throwbacks in it to please fans of other shows. And character development as PurpleRain said...it's very well done

It's brilliant

Frankly it is a lovely release from reality for me

Foxface

#9 Foxface, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  10. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a cute show I'll watch everyone now and then, but I just think it's overrated. I'm more of a transformers prime person. Which unfortunately the series ended about 3 hours ago :frowning2:

11. Stripe101

I thought this said MLB. I was confused why major league baseball became a show for girls ages 5-13...

12. UndercoverGypsy

HAH, I can picture baseball players wearing tutus.

Anywho, I enjoy the show (go Dashy!), but I don't see why people who don't like it get so pissy at bronies. Live and let live, right?

13. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Love and Tolerate. :lol:

14. UndercoverGypsy

Haha, that one always pisses off the haters. That and "don't feed the parasprites".

15. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahw, parasprites are adorable even though they're monsters. :grin:

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2013 at 11:19 PM ----------

[​IMG]

Besides stuff like this is just too cute! How could you not like this?? I mean it's ok if you don't, though.

16. Sarcastic Luck

Probably there's the bronies that are very up in people's faces about it and attempt to convert people to the show.

...Then there's the ones that obsess over certain characters to the point of 'marrying' them.

Because cute makes me want to hurl.

17. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like some of the characters, but I can't stand Pinkie Pie or Rainbow Dash. Pinkie reminds me of the jar jar binks and rainbow dash is just kinda stuck up. Still, I love Twilight and Rarity ^_^

18. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you mean with that, there are people that take things way too far with it. Like I love the show, but all the marrying and then there's the... XXX rated stuff that people do and I really don't like it. That's when it's been taken to far, because it's something that is supposed to be pure in essence and people take it and sexualize it and that just ruins it for me. In fact it's because of people that did stuff like that, that Lauren Faust quit producing it. :dry: :frowning2:

19. Foxface

wait wait wait...I gotta old my sides on this

You don't like Rainbow Dash because she is stuck up but you like Rarity? :roflmao:

Anyway...Pinkie Pie is my girl. I adore her...she is my favorite mane 6 pony

My favorite background pony is Cloud Chaser

Foxface

20. Sarcastic Luck

Rule 34.

That's all I gotta say.