1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 2112, Jul 29, 2013.

1. 2112

I love Pink Floyd! Animals is the greatest album ever created.

:slight_smile:

2. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love Pink Floyd too! Though I can't really tell you what my favorite album is. I have 'The Wall' on my computer, and 'The Dark Side of the Moon' on vinyl.

3. 2112

If you haven't already listened to it, you have to listen to Animals. It's amazing! Wish You Were Here is great too.

4. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Animals was my first love - love that album to death. Wish You Were Here is the only album that can make me a blubbering mess. Those two are in my top albums by anyone ever. Dark Side is special for being one of the first albums I listened to stoned. Meddle also deserves a lot of love, especially for Echoes (that jam around 7 minutes in? pure bliss). Their earlier stuff isn't quite as consistent, but Piper is stellar if very different from their later less crazy stuff. Saucerful of Secrets is probably my favorite from their early post-Syd period. The Wall has its moments but I don't listen to it much these days. There's only a handful of tunes from their last three albums I can listen to, Not Now John chief among them. They were practically solo albums by Roger and David anyway.

I always loved Nick Mason's drumming. The band was best when the balance between the four of the was right.

#4 Miles16, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  5. starfish

I'd have to say that Meddle is my favorite.

6. SFSorrow

The early Pink Floyd, YES! Once Syd left my interest rather wanes, they started out as a cool, crazy all over the place psych band and then pretty much went in the opposite direction and became rather ponderous. Although I do like their later stuff too, most of it can't hold a candle this:

[YOUTUBE]-TNlXSIpzP4[/YOUTUBE]

Or 'Bike', or 'See Emily play', or 'Scarecrow', or 'Flaming', or 'Lucifer Sam', or, the rest...

Damn, I was about to go to bed and now I'm going to have to listen to them first.

7. SlickyPants

I love Pink Floyd and have all of their albums. My favourites would be Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here. I can't decide really. Lately I've been listening to Meddle a lot. Echoes is a fantastic track and I always come away with something new with each listen. The rest of the album is full of great songs including Seamus which has the best vocals out of any song, ever, from anybody.

Some fans hate the newer stuff but I really love The Division Bell. There are few good tracks on A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Not Now John is only song off of The Final Cut that I like.

Fortunately at work, they play a good mix of classic rock that has quite a few Floyd tracks in the playlist. They have some satellite radio retail station playing and it gets repetative quickly. At least it's a good selection of tunes that are repeated constantly. They usually play Let There Be More Light from Saucerful of Secrets, Speak To Me/Breathe from Dark Side, Comfortably Numb from the Wall, Not Now John from the Final Cut, Waiting For the Worms from The Wall (kind of a weird choice for radio but whatever), Have a Cigar from Wish You Were Here, Cymbaline from More, Lost For Words from the Division Bell (they don't censor the F-bomb at work. :slight_smile:) and one of David Gilmour's solo pieces that I don't recognize. Possibly from About Face because I don't have that album.

8. 2112

It seems everyone has forgotten Obscured by Clouds. Those droning synthesizers are beautiful! :slight_smile:

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another album worth mentioning is Pulse. That one has a favorite of my father's and mine which is the live performance of "Comfortably Numb"

Regardless, I love most of The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon. As a Who fan, it's almost an obligation to like the following as well:

1. The Beatles
    2. Pink Floyd
    3. Eric Clapton
    4. Jimi Hendrix

10. Stripe101

[​IMG]

I'm kidding. I know who Pink Floyd is. The Wall gave me nightmares when I was little.

11. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I actually remember a few years back defending that record to a fellow Floyd fan who hated it - I'd probably defend it less enthusiastically now, but "Wot's...Uh the Deal" and "Free Four" remain favorites, and yeah those synths are lovely, especially on the bookend tracks.

12. SlickyPants

I forgot all about Free Four. Wot's... Uh the Deal has always been a favourite of mine. I'm a bit of a sucker for acoustic songs. Another one of my faves from that album was The Gold It's In The.... It's more upbeat and a little poppy compared to most Pink Floyd stuff but it's still a rockin' tune.

13. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I love "Shine On you Crazy Diamond".

14. Safekeeping

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll vouch for Meddle. But The Wall? Nostalgia goggles on.