1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLBTQ-related movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ampthejazz, Feb 6, 2007.

1. ampthejazz

What are peoples' favorites? Any recommendations?

If you're looking for a list of GLBTQ-related movies, you can go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lesbian,_gay,_bisexual_or_transgender-related_films

From what I've seen, my favorites are Latter Days and Sommersturm (Summer Storm).

I saw Latter Days over the summer, and it quickly became one of my favorite films. To learn more about it, go here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0345551/

I saw Sommersturm today. It's a very heart-warming film with great acting and a great storyline. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420206/ Warning though: it's in German, so if subtitles bother you, maybe it's not for you. Buuuttttt that being said, you should suck it up and watch it, because it's really awesome. It's about a guy who's on a rowing team with his best friend, who he falls in love with.

2. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I LOVE LATTER DAYS. I cry at it every time. I also like the standard ones, Brokeback Mountain and The Truth About Jane. Almost Normal is good, too. So is Better Than Chocolate.

3. LorenzG1950

Hey Ampthejazz,

I fully agree with your choices. Latter Days and Sommersturm are the 2 movies that did it for me, convinced me that I'm gay. That was about a year ago and I've watched both movies at least ten times each since then. Both of them still bring tears, but in a good way.

By the way, both soundtracks are great.

Another favorite of mine is Eating Out with Ryan Carnes. The sex scene with the straight guy is just awesome.:eusa_danc

4. ampthejazz

Yeaaaaahhhh I love the Sommersturm soundtrack. I bought the Nada Surf album "Let Go" because of the opening song in Sommersturm (Blonde on Blonde).

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

6. ampthejazz

I liked Beautiful Thing, though not as much as the other two I mentioned. Then again, it was really hard for me to understand, because a lot of the British phrases they used aren't familiar to me.

7. david nelson

david nelson Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    AHMEN to that..One of my buds got the dvd and a bunch of us watched it at his house..But you ignored Broke Back Mountain...Hey, I'm a big guy and I cried a couple of time while watching it. I'm from the midwest, live on a ranch, have a lot of tough """straight""" dudes living here and am supposed to BE A MAN...big deal...I'm a human being first and I have emotions and am not ashamed to show them ( the emotions).. I like your posts and answers and what not...Some where along the line, I get the impression the guys in their teens are a hell of a lot more mature than the rest of society gives us credit for..Keep up the good work...:smilewave :smilewave

#7 david nelson, Feb 10, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I haven't ignored Brokeback Mountain, I just haven't watched it yet so I can't comment. I received a copy for Christmas but I've been too busy to watch it.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I can understand that - it is very British and indeed very London council estate.

There aren't that many films made in the UK each year and I guess very few of them make it to the USA, whereas loads are made in the USA and we get to see a lot of them. So we are probably more used to understanding American movies than you guys are to understanding British ones.

10. dfgnan21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the reccomendation for Latter Days. I just watched it and it was great. I fell in love with Aaron and got a litttle emotional with the scene with his mom, I can personally relate to that. So sad :frowning2: But I liked it a lot.

11. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I'll just name drop a few i found "respectible", not to say others are less worthy of attention, but these had a fairly positive/real portrayal (i haven't seen Latter Days so i cannot comment haha);

TransAmerica
    Prom Queen: The Marc Hall Story (CANADIAN!!)
    Boys Don't Cry (Won an Academy Award --Hilary Swank, Best Actress 1993) (True Account, Brandon Teena)
    Brokeback Mountain (Anyone who doesn't know that one, check if your brain is turned off)
    RENT (Musical, suprisingly educational, mostly related to AIDS)
    The Lamarie Project (True Account, Matthew Shepard)

12. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Oh my god just watched Sommersturm and my only regret is that it's not long enough. Not only does it describe brilliantly the coming out termoil.. but it also contains loads of fit guys!!!

13. LorenzG1950

Yup! It's my favorite feel good film (summstorm). When I saw the love scene on the pier, I finally realized I was gay. That was a little over a year ago and I've never been happier. I even bought an extra copy of the DVD so I can loan it out to friends and still have my personal copy:eusa_danc

14. Jerr

I've seen Brokeback Mountain and Rent.

I HIGHLY enjoyed both of them. NOT JUST BECAUSE THEY INVOLVE THOSE OF THE HOMOSEXUAL PERSUASION. I thought they were really good movies. They both had good stories. Rent had some very catchy music. (I have the soundtrack)

15. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    The Laramie Project is a good one. I've seen the movie version and have been meaning to see the play sometime. I don't know how exactly that'll happen, but we'll see.

Also Get Real is a rather good movie. It's set (and I believe filmed) in Britain so everyone has a marvelous accent. The story line is good, most of the characters are well developed, although there are one or two charicatures, and the dialogue is fairly witty. I recommend it overall.

16. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just watched Summerstorm today because of a different post that mentioned it. I really like it. The pier scene was really amazing and yes, I did like the fit young men. It would have been interesting to know more about the main character's family background.

I looked at my Netflix ratings and I found these others that I rated at least 3 stars: Eating Out, The Trip, Brokeback Mountain, The Broken Hearts Club, The Laramie Project, All Over the Guy, Get Real, Edge of Seventeen, Poster Boy, The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green, Before and After Stonewall, and The Life and Times of Harvey Milk.

Some are much more serious than others, but some are just good entertainment.

17. ASUBoi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to agree with your taste in movies...

I loved TransAmerica, Prom Queen, Rent, Brokeback Mountain, & The Lamarie Project!

But like the others, I would have to add Latter Days (sad, but a great love story) and Summer Storm.. :smile:

18. c_jayo6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My fave movies are Dorian Blues, Another Gay Movie, Latter Days, Adam and Steve, Trick, Mambo Italiano and Touch of Pink. I liked Brokeback Mountain but didnt completely love it.

19. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Oh my fucking god (sorry about the language, just so hyped up).

Just took a step and watched Latter Days... looking at the synopsis I always thought it wasn't for me and would bore me to tears but how wrong was I? The characters are just so real, I felt so sorry for Aaron on it (also thinking he was really hot :wink: ) . But this just has to be my favourite film now!!!

Of course it does have it's downsides... it wasn't long enough

A must watch guys (and gals)

#19 Jamie, Apr 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2007
  20. ampthejazz

jamieuk, you might want to edit that post so there's no spoiler there.....

Yeah man that's how I felt after seeing it. I was just so full of emotion - not even specific emotions, just emotions.

And yes, I agree, he was absolutely gorgeous. The actor is Steve Sandvoss - www.stevesandvoss.com