1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rappers Who Support LGBT Rights

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by FreeFlow9917, Aug 2, 2013.

1. FreeFlow9917

Hey guys, i found some rappers who support LGBT and GLAAD
    One's i knew supported it
    Macklemore
    Jay-Z

Others i found that supported it

A$AP Rocky
    50 Cent
    Eminem
    Snoop Dog
    Nicki Minaj
    Fat Joe
    Lil' B
    Kanye West
    Macklemore
    Jay-Z
    Beyonce

What do you guys think? And yes i like rap

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure if he's considered a rapper or R&B artist, but Frank Ocean is openly bisexual, and Tyler The Creator has also said that he supports gay rights, even though he can say some homophobic things in his songs.

3. Allecto

Mykki Blanco, Angel Haze, Lady Sovereign, and Le1f are all openly queer. IDK if Rye Rye identifies as queer, but she has performed at gay clubs and NewNowNext and and says that she loves her gay fans.

4. lukeluvznicki13

Yay I knew Nicki Minaj supported :grin:
    Barbz & Kenz are all supported

5. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I always thought that whole list was homophobic. I need to find some quotes where they support us because I'm not buying it lol Not after some of the words they used in their songs.

6. fluffyhandcuff

Eminem is friends with Elton John so I guess he can't be that much of a homophobe.
    I don't think I need an example for Macklemore...
    Nicki Minaj is bisexual, I think.
    Don't know about the rest though.

7. KingdomKeyDK

I enjoy rap music also. I'm not surprised by Nicki or Mack, but A$AP?

8. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think Nicki Minaj was forced into it. I don't think she was as open or really cared before she was really famous. I think now that she has a really big following (Ken Barbz) she's now more aware. Love her though.

9. Jameson

50 cent literally tweeted about shooting up a gay wedding once, so...

10. FreeFlow9917

Nah 50 Cent supports it now, he supports friend frank ocean who is bisexual, hes being like jay z and beyonce

11. MixedNutz

#11 MixedNutz, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  12. AAASAS

Eminem is not allowed on that list. He part-popularized using the words fag and gay with white kids.

Regardless of what he says now, the damage he has done is done.

All of those rap artists have said homophobic shit once in a while I am not familiar with aesop rocky if he has said it.

There are thousands of rappers who have never said a single hateful thing towards anyone that doesn't deserve it, and believe in equality for all not just gay rights.

Living Legends
    Aesop Rock
    The Procussions
    The Sound Providers
    Cyne
    De la Soul
    Digable Planets
    Kev Brown
    J Live
    Hieroglyphics
    Jurassic Five
    Giant Panda
    Abstract Rude
    Azeem
    Little Brother
    People Under the Stairs
    Zion I
    Eyedea
    Haiku D'etat
    Binary Star
    Buff1
    Ohmega Watts

A lot aren't homophobic and aren't supporters of gay rights in the celebrity sense, but they haven't used homophobic remarks in their music, and generally speak about positive things.

You can only successfully help gay rights when you have the media coverage to do so. Which is a good thing too, but it is harder for non-homophobic rap groups to do something like this because they don't even get coverage on their music let alone having the ability to market a pro-homosexual song to mass audiences.

People only think that rap groups are just becoming unhomophobic because popular rap has been homophobic in the past couple decades, but there is a lot of alternative bands that were slightly successful that never went down that route and made real music.

People shouldn't be commended for being for gay rights, thats like patting someone on the back for not being a bigot; it should be standard human protocol that doesn't equate self satisfaction or reward.

At least though with popular music taking a stand against homophobia, the words won't be as heavily embedded in kids vocabulary as it was for the 90's early 2000's generation is. I have nothing against pop music, but when you are subjecting the world to your opinion in big numbers you should be censored if you use hate speech, I don't care about freedom of speech if it means negatively harming others.

#12 AAASAS, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  13. akaCaitlinne

akaCaitlinne Guest

14. diegohrz

I am a big fan of rap (always have been) and think that all artists who are supportive of LGBT should speak up about it. I got to know Macklemore's Same Love when I was going through my first steps out of the closet and listened to it a lot. As far as Eminem and Tyler the Creator (and the rest of OFWGKTA) is concerned: Who else has mixed feelings about this? It's true that they use the "f-bomb" a lot and of course this is not a good thing. Eminem also only apologized when he was called out on it. I do truly believe that Tyler the Creator is not at all homophobic, so what is your stance on this use of the slur? Tbh, when I listen to Wolf Gang, I don't feel offended and I really like the music, but I do understand people don't like Tyler saying f** all the time...

15. ScatteredEarth

I don't know if it's publicly stated or anything. But I wouldn't be surprised if Hopsin was also supportive of gay rights..

16. diegohrz

@awesomedude2:

I have also read something about A$AP Rocky being pro-LGBT, but I can't seem to find any reliable source and agree that, at least at first sight, he doesn't come across as someone who would be :slight_smile: (even if he possibly is)

17. ScatteredEarth

As for Eminem... All I have to say about that is "Diamond studded **** rings" That is all.

18. diegohrz

Lol what? You'll have to enlighten me. I guess I haven't been following up on music lately. Is it in his lyrics; or does he sell or wear these? :grin:

19. misunfortunate

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's always refreshing to hear of a rapper who supports gay rights, since that genre can be so homophobic. Macklemore, however, I have extreme love for because of how much of an activist he is. Same Love was a great song and I truly believe he is making a difference. It's amazing.

20. rena

God-des and she- are lgbt so I guess that counts