1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i the only one who thinks this viral video is bullsh*t ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Straight ally, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Here is the video: Why Men and Women Cant be friends - YouTube

I'm straight guy and i actually have female friends. I was oblivious to the fact that many people believe this isnt possible until i saw this video (well, people always making assumption about me and my female friends should have given me a hint).

I think this video is probably edited to adjust to the point the video makers where trying to make , either that or guys at Utah dont have female friends (i believe the former is the true reason).

I believe straight men can have straight female friends, just like gay guys can be friends with each other, or lesbians can be friends with each others. I mean there is something called "not everyone is my type" and there is another thing called "i can control myself" and to many people surprise there is another thing called "you dont have to bang everybody/sex is not everything"

2. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    It is. You are not alone, those people sound immature, even IF they are college students, that is immature.

3. swimmertriangle

I see guy-girl friendships at my school all the time, with the guys being in other relationships. I don't understand why no one thinks that people can't just be friends.

4. Abbra

I hang out with dudes all the time. My dude friends hang out with chicks all the time. I don't understand how people can still believe shit like this when the anecdotal evidence is so overwhelming.

5. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Yeah, it's bullshit. I was shocked when my mother said a man and woman shouldn't be in the same room alone together. Apparently no one has self-control?? And what about bi/pansexuals? Can we not have any friends at all?

6. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This sort of stuff really irritates me because it's so blatantly untrue. Just look around you, there are millions of straight guys and straight girls who are just friends and nothing more. Of course there are many situations where the friendship isn't totally mutual and one of them actually has sexual interest in the other, but that doesn't mean there aren't tons of friendships that are completely and utterly platonic. This is just one of those bullshit myths that get perpetuated by the media and Hollywood and for some reason people believe them despite what they see in the real world.

7. If men and women can't be friends because of a chance of attraction, then can bisexuals have friends at all?

8. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think people believe bisexual, pansexuals, or polysexuals or any other sexuality that includes more than one gender can have friends at all without having a crush on your friends which is the worst belief ever.
    Straight guys, straight girls can be just friends just like gay guys can be just friends with gay guys. Lesbians can be just friends with lesbians and pan/bi/polysexuals can be friends with whatever genders they're attracted to. All people have to do is look around to see this belief is completly false.

9. srslywtf

the magic of subconscious bias and video editing...

10. Straight ally

And its even possible to be friends with someone you find attractive, as long as you are capable of being happy in a platonic relationship with that person.

Hell! Its even possiblto be friends with your crush (not easy of course) and in the end, if you dont acheive to be more than friends you can still be friends with an awesome person. Actually, i think having an authentic friendship with the sex you like is quite healthy and it can actually help you with understanding better that sex.

Im actually friend with whom was my crush a few years ago, and after the crushing period passed it has been awesome. My dating life improved since then actually, as i became more laid back when interacting with women.

11. Hrantou

I was thinking the same thing......

Plus, we all know that men and woman can be friends just fine.

12. CowboyBebopFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I call bulls:***:t! I was born a boy and I have a lot of girl friends and guy friends.

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I usually don't care about viral stuff, this isn't different

14. Exstatic

this is crap... great work though on the video editing...

15. grumpybrit

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    this is such horse shit! it's like saying can straight and gay guys be just friends

16. Straight ally

Probably the same people that ask "do you like me now?" Are the same ones who believe straight guys cannot be friends with straight girls.

And i think this concept is extremely insulting for bisexual as it implies that they cannot have friends.. Or for men in general also as its implying we cannot control ourselves.

17. ScatteredEarth

It's just a video for entertainment purposes. Don't take it so seriously.

18. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

It's not just this video. It brings up wider societal issues.

19. Straight ally

Exactly, it reflects what many people thinks. Also, it reaffirms the posture. That is why it sort of upset me. Cause i know one day i might be in a situation where a boyfriend of some female friend tells her not to talk to me, or i could end with a overly jealous girlfriend with suddenky asks me to not talk to my femqle friends, just because this idea of "m and w cannot be friends".

The less people who thinks this the better, and the less reaffirmation they get the better.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2013 at 06:25 PM ----------

Actually i was in that sort of situation a year ago, when whom was my best female friend's boyfriend made it nearly impossible for us to reunite, one day we even reunited in secret to talk, and even it was just talking and hanging out, we had t reunite with the same secrecy as if having an affair.

That relationship finally ended and everything is ok. But it was annoying to be separated from a close friend for like a year. Specially because i only have 3 close friends and one of those live abroad, so of the 2 close friends i have that live in my city i temporarily lost 1, thus being deprived with 50% of my closer friends.