1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspirational Broadway songs

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SecretlyASloth, Aug 8, 2013.

1. SecretlyASloth

If you're like me and you have a passion for musicals, share your favorites.

Mine is currently What I Did For Love from A Chorus Line.
    p.s. let me know if there is already a thread like this.

2. LinkLarkin

What I Did For Love is literally the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread! :grin:

I guess Memory from Cats, I Know Where I've Been from Hairspray, Do You Hear the People Sing? from Les Miserables, Defying Gravity from Wicked, Don't Cry for me Argentina from Evita, Don't Forget Me from Bombshell (Smash), Somewhere from West Side Story, The Winner Takes it All from Mamma Mia!, La Vie Boheme from Rent...

are all pretty inspirational?

3. Fiddledeedee

Does it have to be Broadway or can it just be musical theatre? Because if the latter, then "Ich gehör' nur mir", from the famous German musical Elisabeth, is pretty cool. Here is a wonderful English rendition. (If you understand German, then listen to the introduction too, because it gives background to the song by talking about the life of the real Queen and Empress Elisabeth.)

If you try to change me,
    I must break away
    To be what I am on my own!

4. carty

carty Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't really! Though does " I dreamed a dream" from les mis count? Cliché maybe but i find it one of the most moving emotional pure song.... and the tigers come at night.... with there voices soft as thunder.... he took my childhood in his stride - love the lyrics.

5. FloatingPiano

"Don't Rain On My Parade" from Funny Girl. :grin:

6. LinkLarkin

:eek: How did I forget that one?! I watched Funny Girl less than a week ago! :eusa_clap

I will also add I Don't Know How To Love Him from Jesus Christ Superstar to my list (!) Aldo, As If We Never Said Goodbye from Sunset Boulevard and I Know Him So Well from Chess

7. Fiddledeedee

I'm getting so many good songs from this thread.

8. SecretlyASloth

Being Alive from company is a good one too :slight_smile: Just remembered that

9. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love just about every song from Ragtime. Some people complain it is too anthem heavy as a musical, but man I love it! Wheels of a Dream with Audra McDonald and Brian Stokes Mitchell is heaven. 'Til We Reach That Day is quite possibly my favorite Act 1 closer of all time. Gives me chills every time! And Back to Before is a stunning statement about one woman's discovery of self-determination and personhood in the early part of the 20th century.

10. Northern

"A new Life" from Jackyl and Hyde, great song I like to sing it when I am down, pretty awesome :slight_smile:

11. biggayguy

We Belong Together from Wicked
    Music of the Night from Phantom
    If You Were Gay from Avenue Q
    Climb Every Mountain From Sound of Music
    Seasons of Love from Rent
    Memories from Cats

12. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like "Strangers Like Me" from Tarzan is just the perfect song for any baby-gay just discovering the queer community. It's not exactly inspirational, but it's still a favorite :slight_smile:. As for inspirational that people haven't already mentioned, I love "Hear My Song" from Songs for a New World. "Life Support" from Rent, "A Light in the Dark" and "Light" from Next to Normal, and "Circle of Life," "Endless Night," and "He Lives in You (Reprise)" from The Lion King.

13. Bear101

"Defying Gravity" from Wicked. There's NOTHING like it at all. Everything else comes in a distant 3rd.

14. Abbra

"Happiness" from You're a Good Man Charlie Brown instantly comes to mind. The message is simple, but it's very poignant and true.

RENT's Seasons of Love also inspires me for some reason.

Defying Gravity from Wicked, because how can that not be inspirational?

Somewhere that's Green from Little Shop of Horrors. I actually think this is pretty inspirational for kids who aren't allowed to be gay for whatever reason.

I guess Tomorrow from Annie, though it's super cheesy.

15. biggayguy

It Sucks to Be Me from Avenue Q. Everyone has problems. Mine are pretty small compared to some people's.
    Season's of Love talks to me about counting the truly important things in your life; like loving and being loved.

#15 biggayguy, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013