1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superheroes can't be gay

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Hefiel, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Hefiel

Really funny song about how hesitant the comic industry is when it comes to LGBT heroes.

[YOUTUBE]TjALfA-ViEU[/YOUTUBE]

2. GayNerd

No comment...

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I...can't watch this past the first 30 seconds...

4. RainbowMan

Ummm, yeeeaaahhhh

It was sort of cute, in a way :slight_smile:

5. Ticklish Fish

it's more like "wtf did I just watch" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

weird side of youtube

6. Northern

So it is just saying they can't be gay, and not really what's wrong with that... What?

7. Deaderpool2

I have no idea if this was a supportive or derogative video:confused:.

However there are gay superheroes, marvel ones in particular including transgender (kind of). in the mainstream comics there are the young avengers who have gay team mates Wiccan and Hulkling (who base themselves on thor and the hulk) who are in a gay relationship that as far as i am aware has been portrayed positively (its hard to find copies of Y.A. where i live) and have played important roles in major crossover comics such as civil war and the lead up to Avengers vs x men.
    In the Runaways which was started by Joss wheden (the guy who did the avengers movie) there was a super powered human looking alien who discovers she is also a lesbian. the problem is that her parents married her off to a shape shifting alien races son before she was born, and it has to go through or the two races will destroy each other. so to make her more comfortable he takes the form of a woman and refers to himself as a she, stating later on that he prefers this form (see what i mean by kinda transgender?)
    I would strongly recommend giving either of these series a read and not just for these characters, the stories are really good and i would especially like to see the runaways adapted into a film or tv series.

8. Hefiel

It's supportive, in the sense that it highlights the general depiction of homosexuality in the comics industry that they cannot have gay superheroes or that if the superheroes are gay, they cannot be shown to act on it. Northstar from Alpha Fight and X-Men, and Pied Piper from The Flash (and more) are good examples.

I've actually started reading Young Avengers since yesterday. I was at a conference yesterday called "Queer Comics Conference" that was about "[...]to start a discussion about homosexual relationships and queer characters (or the lack thereof) in Western graphic media, with a focus on the heroes of Marvel and DC Comics."

That's where I saw the video I posted in my OP for the first ime. The speaker also mentioned how Wolverine kept on killing gay characters. It was really interesting.

9. Hun

Hun

Ohhh Kollektivet! Some of my favorite Norwegians!