1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overrated Movies/TV Shows/Books?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Oxelotl, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Oxelotl

Okay well it's all in the title, but what movies do you think are completely overrated. I've got quite a few movies and shows that are overrated (even shows that I love I still think is overrated), but top of the mind is Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.

Every single time I heard about this movie I heard it was the funniest thing of all time, and that Will Ferrell is the best comedian ever. Despite that I always lower my expectations so it didn't get hyped up....but wow. Seriously I really didn't like Anchorman. I honestly only laughed a few times, and found the bloopers at the end to be funnier than the movie. I just didn't think it was all that was cracked up to be. Not bad, but definitely not the Greatest Legend I ever told (And I swear I'm not trying to annoy people who love that movie, the jokes just didn't get to me and if perchance I offended I'm sorry)

Anyway yeah what shows and movies and books are overrated to you?

2. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Movies: Citizen Kane, Annie Hall

TV Shows: Seinfeld, Game of Thrones

Books: The Great Gatsby, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, The Picture of Dorian Gray

3. ToxicRat

Oh dear, I have to disagree with you about GoT! I think it's amazing, but each to their own.

Movies: The Impossible
    TV Shows: Mrs Brown's Boys, Absolutely Fabulous

4. Holly

Definitely The Great Gatsby for books. I had to study it for English Literature (even though it's an American book), and I really didn't enjoy it. It's labelled as the 'best American novel of all time', but honestly, my severe dislike for the characters, unreliable narration and the complete lack of plot twists made it a highly disappointing read. I can't doubt Fitzgerald's writing, it's well written, just the story is awful...

5. Dented

For movies, I'm going to have to say 500 Days Of Summer and Moonrise Kingdom.

6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cough.. Romeo and Juliet.

7. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As much as I like Harry Potter, I do think it's a tad overrated. Great reads, but not quite as great as most seem to think they are.

8. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    My Little Pony, I cannot see why people like it.

9. Oxelotl

Okay I can't believe I started this thread without mentioning Mrs Brown's Boys. One of the most overrated shows, of anything ever.

10. Cthulhu

Movies: American Pie

Possibly more personal taste, since comedies are so subjective. It's just not my brand of humour.

11. AAASAS

Movies - Avatar, any Batman movie, any Ironman movie, practically any crappy movie based on a comic book. The Avengers.

TV Shows - 30 Rock, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, Game of Thrones, there's a lot of prized crap out there. Especially how I met your mother, that show is the lowest common denominator. So full of cliches and poorly written jokes for the masses. Never made me laugh in the slightest and I am a huge goof ball.

Books - Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code, all I could think of.

12. Gen

Gen

I only disagree because I feel that they would fall more into the great category because of what they were considering they were written for children to preteens. Compared to all of literature they were revolutionary or anything, but in the name of children's literature they largely were.

Anyway, I'll add televised sports. Not simply because I don't like them, but largely because at least half of its viewers only watch it out of societal customs.

13. kresukun

The Lord of The Rings is something I feel is overrated. I tell my friends I don't like it and they more or less alienate me because of it, not my fault I don't like something, not my fault if I like something either.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my God! I feel so much less alone. Here I thought I was the only one!

15. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I totally agree on The Great Gatsby. Just an unpleasant book all around.

16. Gen

Gen

This City of Bones/Mortal Instruments series that they are trying to make a new craze. I actually tried to read the first book before it became popular so I was shocked when it started getting attention.

The characters are juvenile, the story blatantly copy and pasted multiple sections of other fantasy works, and her writing style is average at best. I'm not trying to be mean; I just really don't get it.

And I'm sorry, but Clary? Was this some inside joke I missed? It sounds like a nickname from your childhood that you can't seem to convince your grandmother to stop calling you. Though I can't say it didn't fit her personality.

17. Gallatin

The Scarlet Letter. Had to read it for English class in junior year. Literary masterpiece? Not to me.

Also, The Big Bang Theory. I have tried watching this show but I just don't enjoy it. I find most of the characters to be annoying, and the humor to be average at best.

18. BloodyRose3000

:eek::eusa_doh::tears::eusa_naug

19. Abbra

TV shows: Big Bang Theory, hands down. I simply cannot like any of the characters. The Indian one is the only character that I even remotely liked, and he was a background character.

Most of the 90's Nickelodeon cartoons , most notably Doug. I don't understand how people can complain about current cartoons, and yet praise some of the crap from the 90's. The fact that they were able to have slightly more adult humor doesn't make the show automatically good.

Books: Catcher in the Rye. I get that Holden is supposed to be annoying, but that doesn't automatically get him a free pass for being only decently written. I felt like most of the time, his narration was used as a cheating device so that the author could leave out information.

Harry Potter is kind of overrated, but I don't really have a reason. They just never interested me, and they still don't.

Movies: I don't like the Avengers. The entire thing felt like a string of unfinished subplots.

Citizen Kane is another one. I get that it's a very influential film, but it's simply not enjoyable. It's a sad case of a film that didn't age very well.

20. whattagirl

Word.