1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Katy Perry-Ur so Gay

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by person57, Aug 14, 2013.

1. person57

Has anybody heard the song “Ur so Gay" by Katy Perry. It was one of her first singles. Do you think the lyrics in this song are homophobic and offensive to the LGBT community?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I don't know how to explain why, but I just didn't see it as homophobic.

3. whattagirl

Yeah same. Some people get really mad about it but I just don't get it. I think that it enforces some stereotypes, which isn't really cool, but Katy obviously supports the LGBT community and isn't homophobic in the least, so I forgive her.

Oh, and it's really catchy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. KingdomKeyDK

Ur so gay and you don't even like boys.
    No you don't even like,
    No you don't even like,
    No you don't even like boys.

I don't think she's referring to actual LGBT people anyway. I think she means like a guy who has gay characteristics. Well maybe a little, but not in a bad way.

5. Robo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She is using stereotypes of gay people in her song kind of as an insult to the guy, but it's a break-up song so it's supposed to be angry and insensitive. I think the intent is always important, and the intent here is nothing harmful as far as I can see.

6. Nevashiva

Nevashiva Guest

The intent here is saying anything 'gay' gets views, due to controversy...I honestly don't trust most those 'yay for gay rights' girls/celebrities, cause most of them are doing it for publicity's sake..I guess it's a mutual benefit thing.

A lot of youtubers also resort to titles regarding being gay, just cause it gets views.

It's like talking about drugs or something..its just an edgy thing to talk about.

Anyways, I am sorry if she is bitter about her boyfriend and is using Ur so gay to offend him...then yes she is being offensive, but gay guys always have this thing about those girls and that they really can do no wrong. She's human and had a stupid song..is not an option.

I get mad cause I am frustrated by blind trust of someone who obviously has a lot to gain from strategically saying the right thing to their fans/demographic.

#6 Nevashiva, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  7. Stripe101

Sometimes this community gets offended way too easily.

8. person57

I'm not really offended but I was wondering if other people found it offensive.