1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Culling - A YA LGBT Dystopian novel

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by iHateThinking, Aug 22, 2013.

1. iHateThinking

This will probably be a short post because I haven't started reading the book, but I figured it would be worth mentioning (I don't know if there's a novel thread).

So, I had gone to Barnes and Noble this afternoon with my father and his girlfriend and was left to wander the store by myself. I went into the Teen section, as per usual; I generally enjoy YA fiction for some reason, minus the really common placed supernatural romances that seem to be filling the shelves. BUT, when you find an interesting story, it's usually pretty darn good.

I'd been browsing the shelves and came across a novel called The Culling by Steven Dos Santos. The first paragraph read like a normal dystopian novel, evil government and death and violence, a la Battle Royal and The Hunger Games. Then I hit the second paragraph and was rather surprised. The main character, Lucky (Lucian) falls for a guy named Digory. I actually had to do a double take, because to be honest I almost never see YA LGBT fiction in book stores, especially Dystopian. I know YA LGBT books exist (books like Keeping You a Secret and Will Grayson, Will Grayson come to mind). But Dystopian and LGBT blended together? Never.

Of course, that was not the only reason I picked up the book (I love Dystopian/Post Apocalyptic fiction as it is), but it was a factor; to me, it seems like a really rare find. I would also be very interested in a YA Lesbian (and others) Dystopian or Post-Apocalyptic novel, it'd be interesting to see how different kinds of same-sex, genderqueer, etc., partners would operate in this kind of setting.

I'll definitley post or give a review once I've finished it. Have any of you guys read it? and if so, how was it?

2. Minx

I think it was mentioned before, but I am really amped to read this now. :grin:

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never read it, but considering I wrote something similar as an assignment that required us to make characters and put them through the Hero's journey where I took the character I made that came out of my dysphoria and made an LGBT story set in a dystopian setting, I'll take a look at it.

I'm a pretty big fan of dystopian settings. 2112, Lifehouse, the Alex Rider books and the Shadow Children series were all stories I loved.

4. iHateThinking

Well, glad to know I wouldn't be the only person interested in LGBT Dystopians (nor the only person who would like write one) :grin: I actually had a dream involving girls who were in love prior to a zombie outbreak, but then one of the girls somehow got injured and suffered moderate brain damage as the outbreak happened. Then more details that I came up while in the realm of consciousness.

Looking forward to reading this one though, once I finish my dreaded summer homework. :dry:

---
    Also, thanks to whoever moved the thread to the entertainment section. I do apologize, I had a derp moment and posted it in the wrong section. x_x

#4 iHateThinking, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. Northern

Hmmm well I know what book I will try getting next :grin:

6. Holly

That sounds awesome! I love dystopian novels, and LGBT stuff.

Must read!

7. GirlWhoWaited

"The Miseducation of Cameron Post" is a YA LGBT novel. It isn't dystopian, but it looks really good. :slight_smile:

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'll be sure to check it out. :grin: I have a thing for dystopian, overdone as it currently is. And LGBT dystopian? I don't know why I haven't set out to purchase it yet.

9. monotone

Proxy by Alex London is a YA dystopian novel with a gay main character, fwiw.

10. iHateThinking

Honestly? I almost got this book. It looked interesting.

But Barnes and Noble only had hardcover copies and I didn't want to spend TOO much in one sitting.

Wasn't aware of the gay main character, either I misread the back or it's interlaced within the story and I'd have to read it to see it. But I liked the concept, I'll probably see if I can get a paperback book after school starts.

#10 iHateThinking, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  11. monotone

The gay angle (or any romantic angle at all) isn't a major part of the book.

I thought it was pretty good.

12. MijSo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah, I also think there's a pretty good chance that the whole same-sex affection won't play a major part in the plot, would it still count as LGBT?

If it does, then you should check out the City of Bones series. One of the main characters is gay and in love with the straight man character.

13. monotone

I read The Culling and I thought it was a great book.