1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New laptop

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pancake, May 19, 2008.

1. Pancake

i recieved my new XPS M1530 today and it is meant to be 'intel core 2 duo' but it has the sticker on it that says 'intel centrino'. Is there any way i can check using the laptop if dell have just stuck on the wrong sticker or if it is actually the wrong prosseser?

Thanks

2. Alex

Its the right one :slight_smile: Intel launched their Core 2 Duo Centrino tech some time ago its just a sticker meaning it complies with certain power saving stuff etc.
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php there is a program to tell you loads about your PC

3. Pancake

ok thanks!:grin:

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I was going to suggest CPUz too. It's a useful tool. It will tell you the exact CPU you have in the system.

My Dell Inspiron 640m laptop has an Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5600 CPU and an "Intel Centrino Duo" sticker on the case.

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Centrino = marketing fluff. It just means the computer has an Intel processor, Intel chipset and Intel wireless card. By convincing customers that they want "Centrino", Intel has blocked other chipset and wireless companies from competing on Intel based notebooks. They have also created an enormous amount of confusion by having people think it's actually the processor. For the longest while I used to think Centrino was an actual processor.

As mentioned CPUz is good for all the details on your chip. Another quick way to check: right click on My computer and click properties. Or hold down the windows key and press Pause. This screen should tell you the type and speed of your processor.

I hope your new laptop runs well!

6. darkestknight

Centrino is a 'package' which contains a wireless, a C2D mobile processor and an Intel chipset. Basically I was confused at first but it took me a few while to know about it! :grin: