1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real life Model for Character I'm writing.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheLovelyAudrey, Aug 27, 2013.

1. I hope to not sound offensive (or weird) but I'm currently Producing thoughts and outlines for a Book/story I'm writing
    The main character I'm coming up with is named Melvin Hayes a Ftm transgender but in order to create a sense of legtimatcy I am considering to base the character on a actually transman
    If any transindividual want to volunterr for it Feel free to either post here or message me.
    thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

2. Gen

Gen

Just to share some of my thoughts, and in case no one else replies; while I definitely think it would help to become more informed of the emotional and psychological effects of being a transgender individual, I would be careful of falling into the 'social division' debacle. A male character's will sound more of this way, a female characters voice will sound that way.(Substituting any other gender, orientation, or racial differential)

In our own personal thoughts and philosophies, what groups we fall under hardly matters. I would study up on transgender struggles and internal issues, but I would not try to base the personality or life circumstance of that character off of another individual because those are things that are entirely unique to us all regardless of orientations. In short, you have to be sure to make a character is who transgender and not a transgender character, especially if their orientation does not drive the plot.

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
  4. Dully noted.
    Im writing that being trans would bring dissaproval and hate from others
    I mean this story to be a commentary on Transphobia in the LGBTQ community.
    I'm still new to writing in general so I'm doign what I can to get practice

#4 TheLovelyAudrey, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013