1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic Card Help.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CrimsonThunder, May 20, 2008.

1. CrimsonThunder

Hey just wondering if any computer smart people can help me out here!

I bought a graphic card for my computer, it is a Geforce 6600. So I plug it in to my PCI-Expressx16 slot and plug in my monitor. (I've got drivers for both my monitors and my new graphics card already installed)

However when I turn on the computer the screen is all fuzzy and theres all weird colors going around. Eventually it gets to the point where the screen can't take it anymore and fills up with those weird squares of color and then just freezes.

So yeah, has anyone else had this problem before? And know how to fix it, it could be something to do in the BIOS because I haven't done much there only had a quick look and couldn't find anything.

2. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    is the monitor connected by a Sub-D VGA cable or a newer DVI cable? Is the connection secure? Have you tried another monitor?

3. Alex

Not bios.
    make sure cable is set up properly, and set the refresh rate in windows to 60hZ (use your old graphics card for that)
    How could you install drivers for the card if you cant get into windows?

4. CrimsonThunder

It has both VGA and DVI cables (I can use whichever) And I have two different monitors and it happens on both ones.

I can get into windows but its very hard to read or do anything.

5. darkestknight

Have you fully inserted the card into the socket? Have you pushed it in harder?

Loose graphics card tend to frizzle the screen! :grin:

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Drivers can be installed before the device is, and I've had a number of devices that recommend you do such.

As others double check that the board is fully seated. I've never used PCI-e but I know for AGP,PCI and ISA the card will have virtually none of the connectors visible above the socket. And usually the cheaper the motherboard or case, the less likely things will be to line up. Usually things get hung up on the external slot side of things.

Also are cooling fans (if included) hooked up?

7. Alex

Nono you are not supposed to install drivers for nVidia cards before you plug them in.
    You uninstall old drivers and disable/plug out that card.
    You put the new one in and boot to windows.
    And download the newest drivers from nvidia.com and install them then reboot again.

8. sdc91

Well, if you've tried all the connection options, made sure that the card is seated properly, and you have tried reinstalling the driver, then you might have to RMA the card. You're sure that you didn't touch it or give it some shock, right?

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess the nVidia driver package blocks you from installing drivers if a card isn't present, but it is theoretically possible to install hardware drivers without the hardware present. Then when you install the hardware it is immediately recognized and the proper driver loaded.

My Geforce Go 7200 is PAINFULLY slow to use with legacy SVGA drivers, and if other nVidia cards are similar, I'd recommend downloading the up to date drivers and leaving the installer on your desktop before swapping the cards so you don't have to endure trying to surf the web at 2fps. I wouldn't wish that torture on my worst enemy!

#9 Kenko, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008