1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adaptions of video games get panned all the time

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gazza123, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

But some of them are actually good and I enjoy them. Video games are not gonna be deep thought provoking pieces and I don't want them to be. I want to be entertained with a good story and decent characters. Whether they be video to film characters or brand new. I don't really care. As long as it gets the feel of the game right.

Here is some video game to film I actually enjoyed

Tomb Raider
    This was a great one and second one us also cool. Jolie did a great Lara Croft and the action was spot on. Yeah she did done pretty crazy things but Tomb Raider isn't known for being realistic... Well not until the recent game release but the movies were good.

Resident Evil
    I love these. Each film is different from the last and really ups the action. People complain its not like the games and yeah, I don't want it to be otherwise why not play the games. The films present a new story in the Resident Evil universe with a brand new character which Milla Jovovich plays brilliantly. It references the games and uses the characters but no way does it have the exact same story which is good... Because if it did, it would be kinda boring.

Mortal Kombat
    The only bad thing I can say is it wasn't gory enough. Bit character wise they got it right and fights were ace as was the music and it all tied together in a nice little story. Enough said.

DOA
    it basically did what the games did. Pretty ladies fighting. I will admit that this is sort of a middle ground for me as some characters weren't like they game counter part in luck and the story was a bit meh but the fighting was good.

Bloodrayne series
    I have no idea why. I'm not saying its good but I dunno... It's sort of so bad it's good. Definitely not one of the better ones but hell, I still watch from time to time.

So what do you guys think?

Have you saw that you thought was okay?

2. Stripe101

The Tomb Raider films were stupid but enjoyable.

Resident Evil was so bad it's good. Most of the sequels stink.

Mortal Kombat was an awful film. Not to mention no spine ripping like in the game.

I never heard of the other two.

Another you may never have seen was the Max Payne film. That was really bad...

There has yet to be a legitimate video game film adaption. And honestly, I don't think there should be. What makes games so great is that they put you in the story. YOU make choices, get involved, and occasionally screw up. Video games are far more immersive than any film ever could be. It is an art form of it's own and shouldn't be hastily converted to another.

For example, they're making an Uncharted film and I believe it to be a disaster. What makes that series so good is it's immersive puzzles and action. If that's turned into a film, there won't be much to enjoy except cheap special effects and a mediocre story. When will the film industry learn...

#2 Stripe101, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love completely idiotic video game movies. Slightly related to the games, pure action, and they hardly take themselves seriously. I've never seen Mortal Kombat so I can exclude it, but the others were pretty sweet. :grin:

Now if they were to take story-heavy games like Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed and make CG-fapping movies out of those, then I might get mad.

4. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    The problem with video game movies is that they choose the worst possible games to turn into movies. Instead of choosing story-driven games, like Grim Fandango or Mass Effect, they chose things like Moral Kombat or The Sims (?!).

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a Sims movie?

And here I was blissfully unaware!

6. Live action video game movies get panned there are animated films based on video games which are pretty good.

7. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I don't even know how it could work.

Will they actually speak Simish as well?

8. KingdomKeyDK

I know there's that FFVII: Advent Children movie. That one was a game, but was turned into a movie instead. Does that count?

9. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

that was actually a pretty good one

the first Final fantasy film was pretty crappy thou

10. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep, believe it or not. Quite possibly the worst source material for a movie adaptation ever.

The Sims (film) - The Sims Wiki)

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The idea of making a film from the game 'Battleship' was pretty bad, as well...not a video game, but why? What's next? Candyland? Checkers?

12. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Tetris: The Movie 3D

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With tensions with and within Russia rising, you might have something! =p

14. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

[youtube]LHY8NKj3RKs[/youtube]

15. iHateThinking

That'd be an impressive undertaking. I would see that movie just because the actors spoke Simish.
    ---
    I dunno, for me video-game movie adaptations don't fare as well for the same reason book-to-movie adaptations generally suck: through the process, a lot of the detail, story, character development, etc., that can be well-portrayed in a book/video game get lost in order to make them fit into a time constraint. It can lose a lot of the "oomph" it had in its original format. The stories have the potential to get changed a lot, and are generally not true to the game they were intending to portray.

Silent Hill: The Movie/Revelations was only loosely based on the Silent Hill games, and both mixed and matched different parts from different games in order to make it... I don't know. Different? Special? I have no clue. I mean, it wasn't to say the movies were awful, I enjoyed them both.

And as others have said, it loses it's immersion factor. In a game, you grow with the characters, you learn to love/hate the characters in the story, the story, in a way, becomes a part of you, even for only a brief period of time; in games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc, your choices can greatly effect the outcome at the end. It's engaging. Whereas movies are just an impersonal and passive demonstration of pictures.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love movies as much as the next person. But adaptations come with a whole host of issues. There are some that have done it well (i.e., Harry Potter), but generally it's not something I would advocate. I'm a bit of a purist in that sense.

16. Hun

Hun

The problem with most game-to-movie adaptations is that they are either adapted from a game with no story, or one that nobody cares about. Or they're directed by Uwe Boll.

17. Jaden

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most video game movies I only enjoy in an ironic way, like they're so bad they're funny. Super Mario Cros. is absolutely hilarious, for example, as are some Uwe Boll movies. I actually really like the Mortal Kombat movie, though, but that's mostly because of nostalgia :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: