1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Email

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by davo-man, May 22, 2008.

1. davo-man

I've got a technological problem, that I was hoping some of you could help me with:

For background, I currently have three email addresses; a hotmail.com address, with a very informal name, a university email and a custom server email. I would like to start a new email account (preferably gmail, as I've heard great things about it), which has all three other accounts forwarded to it. Therefore, I would only need to sign into my gmail account to recieve all my emails. There are a couple of reasons for this; I need a professional looking email to put on resumes, hotmail has failed when sending a couple of long emails that I spent like an hour writing :slight_smile:tantrum:slight_smile: and to make it easier to check all my emails.

However, I've got a couple of problems with this:

MSN does not let me sign in with a gmail account. I might be doing it incorrectly (because I know people who sign in with their gmail accounts), however if there's an option that I need to click on, could some please let me know?

Hotmail does not let me forward emails to my gmail account. Is there a program I need to download to allow them to interface?

Thankyou to anyone who can help, it would be much appreciated

2. interstella

gmail is crap. i have it and it won't let me send attachments.

to use your gmail on MSN, create a .net passport (i can't remember how) with your gmail account.

3. LOVEjames

Clicky.

That's to use your current e-mail address as your msn. I have no idea how to do anything else. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kids these days just really don't know how to use Google, huh? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This is how you would get your existing Hotmail into Gmail:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/01/import-your-hotmail-messages-into-gmail.html

Setting up forwarding of new Hotmail into Gmail appears to be non-simple although I could probably talk you through it.

What you might do for a bit is use the manual method above every day or so and then make sure when you write back to people, you write back from Gmail and mention to them you've switched addresses.

People do switch email addresses all the time--it can be done! It just takes a little effort and patience.

You really need to get totally rid of your Hotmail address after a while. Basically just send a message to your entire address book with your new Gmail address saying: "In X months, I will be shutting down my [email protected] email address so please use my Gmail address." Then send it out again about 2 weeks before you do "shut it down." And make sure you are always mailing people from the new Gmail one... lots of time people just reply to the last address they have for people and at least if they don't do that, if you've sent them mail from your Gmail address, they will at least have that address "on file" for you.

I guess it's easier to shut down a Hotmail address when you don't use it for MSN/Windows Live Messenger but consider it a good way to cull your contact list! *grin*

You can sign up a Gmail address for use with Messenger for sure, because I've done that with both of mine.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It won't let you send attachments?! I have it and it lets me send attachments just fine. It doesn't like to receive .zip attachments, though, which is quite frustrating (and stupid in this day and age given they have perfectly good virus checkers embedded in Gmail).

Are you maybe choosing attachments that are too big? I know there are definite limits to the size of attachments you can receive and I'm guessing there are send limits too.

6. interstella

I use my gmail for school, so it's mostly word and powerpoint files.

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gmail hates sending executables, and executables in zips, so you have to do stupid things like rename it ".zi' and ".ex"

Showing my age, I like to use a thing called an E-M-A-I-L C-L-I-E-N-T. I currently use Thunderbird. I have it set up to check all my inboxes (including hotmail) and I like it because I get a copy of my mail on my hard drive, and I find it more responsive than the latency of a webmail client. Plus it alerts me whenever anything arrives. I think hotmail required a plug-in.

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have a lot of images in your Word and Powerpoint files, that might be the issue. By default the Office apps don't reduce the file size of graphics you add to documents, so if you add a bunch of 5MB pictures to a Powerpoint, it can easily get to be 15 or 20MB, which would be too big for Gmail (and most web-based email services, and maybe even most email services in general).

One thing you can do (at least in Office 2003 stuff) is click on one of the images in the document and that should bring up the image toolbar. The fifth button from the right of the toolbar is the "Compress Pictures" button. It looks like this:

untitled.PNG

If you press that, you get the Compress Pictures menu, where you can select "All pictures in document". By default the Change resolution section is usually on Print, which is good, and then you can click the [OK] button and it will significantly reduce the size of your Word or Powerpoint document by reducing the file size of the images you've added.

9. interstella

^^ good idea. thanks!
    i'll be using my aol email for now.

10. PatC

If you ever need another one, this: http://www.mail.com/, is good. Sends and receives everything alright, and you can get just about any user name you want.