1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSN virus

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AzThRg0, May 22, 2008.

1. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Qucik warning to MSN users, their is a small virus making its way around msn, it will start with someone you know messaging you saying something like "is this really you?" and then it will have a link with your email address in it. DO NOT CLICK THE LINK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! just passing it on

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try changing your password, Brian. Did you type your username and password into any web page not belonging to one of Microsoft's services?

3. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    never, I just clicked a link and downloaded something cuz I am a fucking moron like that

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it sounds like a genuine accident. Don't be so hard on yourself. Hope the virus didn't mess your computer up too much. But thanks for the warning. (*hug*)

5. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'll try, and its not too bad, it just messages ppl with the virus, its more of a minor annoyance then anything

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been doing some research.

The easy way: try System Restore, works on Me, XP and Vista.

The hard but possibly cleaner way (note that you need administrator privileges in order to do this):

1) Go to Start > Run (or press Windows key + R). Type in regedit.exe, then press Enter.

2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and delete the entry "System Services Monitor = %sysdir%\wbcmgr.exe"

3) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and delete the entry "System Services Monitor = %sysdir%\wbcmgr.exe". Close the Registry Editor.

4) Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL. The Task Manager should show up. Under "Processes" look for "wbcmgr.exe" and click on "Kill Process", and answer "Yes" to the warning message.

5) Look into your Windows directory (usually C:\WINDOWS). Find wbcmgr.exe. Delete it.

6) Look into your temporary folder (on Windows XP usually C:\Documents and Settings\<user name here>\Local Settings\Temp) for a file called pic08.zip. Delete it.

7) Empty the Recycle Bin, then I'd recommend you to restart your computer.

8) If everything seems to be working, you might be interested in flushing your System Restore information to ensure that the virus won't be restored by it. Right click on (My) Computer, choose the System Restore tab, check "Turn Off System Restore on all drives", then click on "Apply", wait until it's done, then uncheck that option and click on OK.

#6 Miaplacidus, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
  7. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thanks Fred, I think I got rid of the fucker

8. waitingsucks

lol, my friend has that virus, maybe I'll send this info to him.

9. PatC

just scan for viruses every couple of days, and when you are worried. Spyware scanning is good too.

10. HalfInsane

Haha, wow, I had that virus at least a year ago (yeah, stupid of me, I was even thinking "Okay, this is so a virus"... I clicked it anyways xD). I'm amazed it's still going around. It's an annoying little bastard, that's for sure. I manage to get rid of it easy, though. My antivirus software found it, I deleted it, and then since MSN was still acting buggy, I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I didn't have any issues after that, it seems like a pretty minor virus.

11. Brandford

I supidly clicked on this as well, >.> jamie this is your fault, and i tried the hard way and i couldnt find the "System Services Monitor = %sysdir%\wbcmgr.exe"

12. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you get steps 4-7?

Some more advice to prevent stuff like this from happening again:
    NEVER open something with a double extension. "coolpic.jpg.exe" isn't a jpg, it's an executable.
    NEVER open a "picture" if it doesn't have an actual picture extension, ditto video or sound.
    NEVER enter your MSN username and password (or any username and password) on some random site. Microsoft won't send you an MSN message telling you to re-login.

Learn to become suspicious of the messages. Usually any MSN virus messages come written not at all like my friends write. Usually a big hint.

Others mentioned antivirus software. I also run myself as a restricted user and only elevate programs when needed. This reduces potential damage from "accidentally" opening something nasty.