1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by IanGallagher, Sep 4, 2013.

1. IanGallagher

I just came back and thought the movie was great. I was never interested in Twilight, didn't like Beautiful Creatures, and couldn't get through thirty minutes of The Host. I did like I Am Number Four, Roswell (on WB), and Smallville and I'd say this was most like that. It didn't really focus all of its time and energy into the romance department, but off set it with fantasy elements and action sequences. Also it was the first mainstream film in America that I've seen that has ever had a masculine or straight-acting representation of an LGBT dude which really stood out as being progressive in American cinema.

2. MsH

MsH

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was surprised when I actually enjoyed it. Though that song that played when they were in that garden place did not go with the 'romantic' scene at all.

3. Holly

I've been meaning to see that... *looks at cinema times*

4. G91

G91

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was dragged to see this with a few friends recently, and was pleasantly surprised! I'm glad they focused more on the action too, my kind of film, and the character Alec was nice to look at :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . Have any of u read the books, as one of my pals recommended them to me? Does the first one differ much from the movie? :slight_smile:

5. KingdomKeyDK

See if you had read the books, you would have been disappointed (or so I thought). I know they usually have to skip some stuff, but there was a lot of stuff skipped, and I hated Jamie Who's-it-what's-ers. Aaron Tveit would have made a better Jace to me.

6. GirlWhoWaited

I enjoyed it, and I read the book. Alec's character arc is so awesome. I love how real he is. He's absolutely terrified that he'll be outed, but he grows so much over time. I would have liked to see more of Magnus (most beautiful man EVER), but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the ending was a bit too unfocused, but that may have been the 40oz beer I consumed while watching. Lol.

7. Munyal

I loved the first book, and I totally ship Alec/Magnus. I have the second one on hold. I figured out the whole deal between Jace and Clary about halfway through the book.

8. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love this movie! I've seen it twice already. I really hope there's a sequel.

9. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I want to see this movie.

What I like about the novels is that, yeah there are some classic YA clichés, but the story is better than the other big name YAs out there in that it has a better balanced story line. The action/mystery is (rightfully) the main plot and the romance (which is rarely done, but should be) is the sidestory. There's more focus on what actually is important in these kind of scenarios, which is establishing powers, getting the bad guy, saving lives and that. I like that the romance didn't take an overbearing first seat in the story, instead that was given to creating the world, establishing the hunters, the more interesting fantasy aspect. It wasn't just some slapped together background for this 15 year old to have boyfriend drama during. Instead, the supernatural aspect is actually treated properly as the main reason they're all doing everything they're doing by getting most of the attention and the romance happens over time in the background of that, only in the spotlight at mostly appropriate times throughout the story. I feel like that's one of the biggest things that sets Mortal Instruments apart from the rest in a good way. In the context of typical YA formulas, it's more "realistic" in its handling of character relationships vs. the bigger plot. Then there's the nice portrayal of two gay badasses and the unique circumstances surrounding the main romance. While it does get YA'd later with triangle bla, I do like the twist on the main pairing. It's a very interesting way to take things and the handling of it is pretty good. Again even just the two of them get a bit YA'd throughout the series, but not in the ridiculous, over the top way that couples or potential couples get in most of the YA's, especially the supernatural sort.

And as odd as this sounds, I also appreciate that all the main characters are not lovable or even likable for the most part. Clary's okay, Simon's okay (a little dicky for going all Jacob Black later), Jace is a dickhead, Alec's a tool, and his sister's an alright girl. None of the hunters are overly "amazing" and Clary is not overly amazed by them, like the Cullens and Bella. So, I know it sounds weird, but I like that I don't love these characters. I like that there's nothing initially to love and many things to not like actually, especially in the beginning. They're not, personally, any different from people in the regular human world, even if they do have an inflated sense of self (*ahem* Jace) and even that is very human. I like that the author didn't make them angelic just because they come from an "angelic" world, you know what I mean? (Do I? :lol:slight_smile: I had to get to know them like real people and found myself not still not caring for most their personalities, but instead coming to either like or dislike them because of their actions, which I prefer. Not loving them makes me really fond of them in a different way, an "appreciative of the writing" kind of way. I don't know what I'm trying to say anymore, but hopefully someone gets what I'm saying. :lol:

10. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've seen the movie twice. I loved it! I honestly don't care about the awful reviews or the awful box office. I was entertained by it.. it had everything, great cast with chemistry, many cool action scenes, and not least romance. I might even watch it a third time!

11. kem

kem

I was asked to see it by a friend, and I didn't have anything better to do so I spent. The acting was pretty much terrible except for Peter Sheehan (Simon Something), who sadly didn't have his god-damn sexy Irish accent. I haven't read the books and don't intend to, so I did not know what to expect, and so I was surprised that it was really scary and violent, to me at least. The scariness could be just because of the really loud volume though. Still, the film was rated K-12 so I assumed something different entirely.

12. lukeluvznicki13

omg i really want to watch this movie :grin:

13. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hmm.. I don't think Lily Collins or Jamie Campbell Bower were that bad. The worst actor in the movie was the guy playing Magnus Bane. The other actors were more than good enough for this kind of movie.

The thing is.. this movie was far from perfect, but I still enjoyed it. I loved the cast. They had amazing chemistry. The movie had a good plot. It was full of mystery, action, romance.. it basically had everything! It didn't deserve the harsh reviews.

14. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So... I guess the sequel is not happening anymore :frowning2: