1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a tape into an mp3 file.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ty, May 24, 2008.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

How dooo i do it? I have this german speaking helpy thingy my teacher recorded for me, but its on a tape and i only have one tape recorder in the kitchen which isnt good for revising =/ so i need it moved to my computer.

Thankies.

Attached Files:

2. Helen

Helen Guest

well, I don't know how to do it without ordering something off the internet.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/9778/

I'm afraid this is the only thing I can think of :frowning2:

Although a more drawn out way is probably to download the program Audacity (I'll post the link after I've finished typing), and (providing you have a laptop) go down to the kitchen and record it, then export it into an mp3 file. That's what I do ^_^

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

3. Ty

Ty Guest

I think i might just record it using the mic on my computer. good point is that it's a mac, so the screen and everything is all packed together. bad thing is that its still a desktop =/

4. Helen

Helen Guest

Oh...

No chance of bringing the tape recorder to where your computer is?

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Is there an audio input socket on the computer? Is so you just need to get a lead to connect between that and the headphone socket on the tape player (Maplin will have something suitable). Then you will get better quality than a microphone, plus no background noise.

6. Alex

Either you connect the tape thingie to your PC using line-out on the tape, and line-in on your PC.
    Get a special thing to do it for you.
    Or record it using a microphone.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't record it from the tape deck speakers to the computer's mic because that will just suck. Do the line-in thing.

8. PatC

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I had to do this for a wedding once.

I bought a cable from Radio Snack - 1/8" stereo to 1/8" stereo, I think. Plugged one end into my computer, and the other into the headphone jack of my old cassette walkman. I opened a new file in an audio editing program, started recording, and hit play on the walkman. Had to do a bit of fiddling on the volume, but it came out fine.

Lex

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yep, that would be the one. Maplin here is the same sort of stores as Radio Shack there.

11. PatC

I didn't think of that, it depends on the tape deck. I have an old stereo from the '80s, and it uses the type of cable I posted, but that is what you want if its a walkman or something like that.

:slight_smile: