1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(BBT) Sheldon and Amy's relationship- cute or dysfunctional?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Reader, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Reader

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The reason I ask is because I have a Sheldon-esque mild fear of physical contact and I have Asperger's Syndrome. Recently my close male friend said that he is falling in love with me. As a friend, I love him to bits, but I am a lesbian- kinsey 6, homo romantic, etc.
    We have decided to have a relationship similar to that of Sheldon and Amy in the Big Bang Theory- a non-platonic and non-romantic one where the line is drawn at hugging and holding hands.
    Is this a good idea or not?

2. Night

Night Guest

If it works for you, it works for you. Nobody else can tell you whether or not it's a bad idea and you shouldn't listen to anyone who says it is.

3. LinkLarkin

I think this is likely to depend on whether you are both going to be content at limiting your relationship in this way. Bear in mind that a large source of humour in their relationship derives from Amy trying to become sexually involved with Sheldon even though he ostensibly identified as aromantic and asexual. You do not mention that either you or your friend are asexual, which means that ultimately come or both of you may want more than this out of a relationship. Certainly there is nothing inherently wrong with the two of you sharing this kind of relationship, but I would advise both of you to think carefully about the long term sacrifices you would have to make, and make sure that you are willing to make those sacrifices for the sake of being with each other.

4. GayNerd

It think it's both.

It's cute that Amy tries to go past Sheldon's "Boundaries" and Sheldon trying to not ruin the relationship.

But the relationship is also Dysfunctional. It isn't how the others' relationships are and Sheldon and Amy always act like "Robots".

But the more serious the character, the funnier they are. :grin:

5. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Both, but who am I to judge.

6. GirlWhoWaited

I think for Amy, it's dysfunctional, because she isn't getting what she wants from their relationship, but her persistence and lack of pride in herself socially allow things to continue. For Sheldon, it's hyperfunctional. He gets intellectual companionship, she humors his eccentricities, and helps him interact on a more "normal" level with his peers. So, if you're the "Sheldon", it may seem fine to you, but your "Amy" might struggle with this. Particularly with the added complication of your sexuality. Sheldon is at least abstractly interested in women. Their relationship sort of rides on Amy's hope that he will shift away from his asexuality. The way I see it (and my perception could be very wrong; sexuality is a fluid and subjective thing), you have even further to travel along the spectrum before he'll be able to have the kind of relationship he's probably looking for. And...where does that leave you? Should you have to change everything about yourself for this relationship? In my opinion, no. I think it's a fine balance. Like a tightrope over a lava pit. If one of you moves in the wrong direction, someone could get hurt. It's up to you, and only you know your situation, so this is just stuff to consider. Good luck. :slight_smile:

7. ScatteredEarth

Interesting comparison. It's up to how comfortable you are in the relationship :slight_smile:

8. twink182

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too, thought I had a fear of intimacy and close physical contact. Then I realized it was because I was gay. It was intimacy and physical contact with WOMEN that I feared. I am no prize but I have been repelling womens' advances since elementary school. How I never put the pieces together is both intensely sad and funny.

Now, as for Sheldon and Amy, if their relationship gets much closer, I may lose interest. It's essence and what makes it funny, to me, is his reluctant participation and rejection of intimacy. You just know that the writers are under pressure to "normalize" their relationship to satisfy the show's female heterosexual audience. In other sit-coms in the past whenever the primary male and female characters end an awkward "dance" and begin a relationship, the show begins to suck (and is usually cancelled soon thereafter).

9. photoguy93

It's fine if you're both Sheldon. At first, I thought "aww...Sheldon...you're so funny." At this point, I think "damnit, Amy...either find a way to sleep wit him or dump his ass."

Relationships aren't just about one person. That's honestly the best advice I can give. I don't know your friend or anyone you'd be interested in...they might be okay with it. I just think it's good for a few types of people, and bad for the rest.

10. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hate it. I've always hated Amy. She's annoying and not funny at all. Sheldon was always supposed to be asexual, and that's how I liked him. It annoys me that Amy came along and ruined that.

11. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not see a problem with it.

12. Stripe101

Seeing how Amy terrifies me, I feel that my answer would be biased.

13. justjade

In real life, I find no problem with it.

On BBT, however, it's pretty annoying. Amy is obviously a very sexual person while Sheldon is not. In fact, he can't even wrap his head around the feelings he may or may not have for her. It might just be the lack of chemistry between the two characters or actors, but I can't bring myself to believe that they actually like each other.

14. TorreyGlory

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As an Aspie myself, can I just say that Sheldon's character annoys the bejeebers out of me? In the first couple of seasons, his quirks were kinda funny in a relatable way, but now they've given him every Autistic stereotype imaginable and cranked it up to eleven. Gaaah.

The 'Shamy' relationship - not only dysfunctional, but often crosses the line to abusive. But that's television; reality is a bit different (see above paragraph).

"Is it a good idea or not?" Well... TBH, what you're describing sounds like an enhanced friendship. Is he OK with that? Have you made it crystal-clear that you are "a lesbian, kinsey 6, homo romantic"; that he shouldn't ever expect anything more? If both of you are on the same page, then cool, but sadly I've seen it before where someone with a crush will take anything at all in vain hope that one day those feelings will be returned. And then it all comes crashing down when reality sets in.

15. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Glad to see I'm not alone in my dislike for Amy. I feel like my favorite show got ruined when they added her to the cast :frowning2:

16. Reader

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys, we're just sticking to friendship! I mentioned in another thread that there was a girl that I really like, which might make things difficult. But thank you guys! xxx