1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anime Subbed or Dubbed?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by anthonythegamer, Sep 15, 2013.

?

Subtitles or Dubbed?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2013.
  1. Subtitles

48 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. Dubbed

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. Don't care

18 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. When I watch foreign dramas, movies, anime, and TV shows, I prefer subtitles. When it's dubbed, the voices can be way off, the voices can sound out of character, and some things make sense when it's in their own language (for example, japanese puns can mean something completely different in English).

But what do you guys like more? Subbed or Dubbed?

2. Abbra

I prefer subtitles. With dubs, they always seem to Americanize references, which really bugs me because it breaks the immersion within the foreign worlds.

3. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
  4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Movies DEFINITELY has to be subbed.. I want to hear their real voice.

And what Abbra said about Animes

---------- Post added 15th Sep 2013 at 11:46 PM ----------

You mean at the same time?? Whats the point?

5. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Not at the same time, but to enjoy both and compare, I like the immersive factor of subtitles, but dubs bring in the more localization and many anime/manga creators state that the Americanized versions of their works are superior.

6. Ticklish Fish

sub, even if it is like a french movie like Amelie or german movie like Goodbye Lenin! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Deaderpool2

i like how with some subs they give a definition on certain things as well as what they are saying, like for example if somone mentions golden week a caption at the top of the screen will appear to tell you what golden week is since the anime doesnt describe it for you. plus you learn somthing new about a different culture.

8. robotman

I like dubbed because it is in English... The only problem is they cut out ALOT of things that is in the subbed version. I would like the dubbed version so much more if they kept everything in it... but I would still pick dubbed now anyways.

9. biggayguy

Subs, the dubbed anime's can get way too wordy. It's like the bad guy must make this awful speech before he kills you. Maybe that's just a Japanese thing?

10. Mysz

Subs... except for Cowboy Bebop and Rurouni Kenshin. In CB, the dub voice actors are excellent and sound very authentic/westerny. In R Kenshin, the Japanese Kenshin' voice actor is done by a girl; which might have been fine if Kenshin was a litle child, but he's a grown man. The English dub is still satisfactorily in-between without being over the top.

11. Deaderpool2

yeah i have to agree when a grown man is voiced by a woman in the japanese sub its a little confussing, especially when they have long hair and feminine features like kenshin and the mouse guy from fruits basket. thats another anime i need to watch, ive heard mixed things about it.

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Subs. Except for scenes that are supposed to be in English. I watched Mahou Sensei Negima! and the few scenes where he's ACTUALLY teaching English, the Japanese accent from the voice actress, and the wording is just wrong. The character is supposed to be a 10yo Welsh boy. I have seen some episodes dubbed, and they just have the wrong voice actor for him.

13. Blurred Horizon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love Subtitles because I want to hear the original voice actors. Plus it combines Reading and Watching T.V. and you are unconsciously learning another language.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer dubs if they are good. If not, subtitles of course.

I like the original voices and being able to translate bits and pieces eventually, but it is at the cost of being able to look at the action. It becomes a choice to sacrifice entertainment value for a little education.

Voted "Don't care" though. Translation medium makes no difference on whether or not I'll watch most times.

15. GirlWhoWaited

It really depends. I like some dubs, because I like to knit or draw while I watch, so it's nice to hear something I understand (my Japanese gets me to the bank, the nearest restaurant, an the bathroom). With k-dramas, though...I' go crazy if they were dubbed. I love picking up bits of Korean from them...that's weird, isn't it?

16. Illusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dubbed shows are good to watch when not entirely concentrating - like doing homework or drawing or whatever. Subs really need your full attention, you know. But you know, if I need something for that purpose, I'd usually watch a live action show/cartoon normally in English.

That said, I almost always watch shows subbed for many reasons. For starters, you can hear the original voices and most dubbed anime voice actors tend to be... sub-par. The fact that less of the dialogue is lost, and well, the fact that most anime isn't dubbed and so the subbed version is the only option. It's not like I'm going to wait until an anime is dubbed to watch it.

For series I like enough to watch again, during a rewatch, I may watch the dubbed version if the voices aren't too bad, simply to change it up a bit,

17. vyvance

Depends on the show for me. Usually just prefer whichever language I saw the show in initially, unless the VAs are just terrible in one of the languages.

For example I watch in:

Subs: Bleach, Death Note, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu

Dub: Dragon Ball Z, FLCL

Either is fine: Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop

18. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just realized, I did watch an anime that was dubbed, and I liked the dub better. But, it wasn't the English dub. It had the options of the original Japanese, German, or English. The sound of German, combined with the voice actors chosen, seemed to be a much better fit for the anime Last Exile. Still had the subs on so I could make out what was going on quicker, but with that anime, it seems like it was made for the German language.

19. Etak

Subbed! All my friends like it dubbed, and it drives me crazy. Subs help my Japanese, and it's just better for reasons already mentioned.

20. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Subtitles. Dubbed version just sound a bit...fake to me, I don't know.