1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tim, May 27, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Before you start reading this, know there are spoilers from multiple final fantasy games in it =P

Anyone like playing these games? I've played all of them except the PSP/Gamecube ones, and still love them lol. FF12 is a bit annoying to the point I refuse to try to beat it :S The battle system sucks. =P

Got reminded of how good FF7 was when I stumbled across the saddest scene from any FF on youtube...

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=aB-HIYCR4dk[/youtube]

For those who don't know, Aeris was the one of the last surviving members (or was she the last? I always forget :astonished:) of a race called the "Ancients". She was trying to save the world from a meteor by invoking the powers of the holy materia (the orb that falls), but as she almost succeeds, the enemy of the game comes down and stabs her... killing her. I cried when I first played the game and it happened.

There are a few other sad scenes in other Final Fantasy's, like Aria in Final Fantasy III, when Luneth is about to be killed, she pushes him out of the way, sacrificing herself in the process, throwing the entire party into a rage, then galuf sacrificing (yes, there are a lot of sacrifices in Final Fantasy games :astonished:) himself to save his granddaughter and friends.

Most of Final Fantasy 10 is full of sadness :frowning2: Don't even have to get into that, you kill your father, your fathers guardian who was guarding you isn't even alive, you turn out to be a dream, and yuna loses most the people she cares for in one swift blow :S, Including the aeons <.<

I miss playing most of the playstation ones, my sister pawned all of them except 7, but I lent it to a friend and he scratched the final disc so it doesn't play -.- All I have is Final Fantasy 10, 12, Tactics, and 3 lol >_< So yea, my little rant about one of my favorite game series =P

2. Hoppip

I've only played VII (haven't beaten it), X (hate. it), X-2 (hate it more) and XII (love it).

I love the games, but I really disliked X and X-2. I didn't like the characters or the world. X-2 was too cutesy... The whole design of X was too colorful and awkward. Which I kinda understand. The music of X and X-2 was REALLY ANNOYING. And Seymour started to get impossible to beat. And I want to hurt Yuna. And Rikku turned into a blondie-bimbo by the second, which I didn't like. And Lulu really needs to put THEM away.

XII's battle system is amazing and fun. It's extremely easy compared to X, which was near impossible for me. I like the characters in XII but they're still a bit flat. The world does a good job of keeping a solid genre (like, it's not some ancient amazon race in a technologic world). Although the gameplay was great and new, the storyline was hazy and boring... The characters weren't that dynamic (nice looking and sometimes fun to listen to, but still not that interesting.) The storyline was weak mainly because I didn't care about the characters. It's hard to play a game when you as a player don't have a reason to. Vaan was too stereotypical. I liked Penelo, but her part wasn't drawn out enough.

Balthier... mmmbaby.

SORRY. I like Final Fantasy games, but they can get old after awhile. I'm very critical and hardly pleased (I like to be blunt). I guess I like the storyline/plot aspects of video games. As far as plot goes, VII was the best. X had an okay plot... But XII is the most fun to actually play.

3. Tim

Tim

I just don't like XII's battle system, and the storyline is a bit lacking... lol. Penelo is a running joke among the Final Fantasy community, she rarely said something other then HELP! or what do we do now? or something like that. -.- But yes, Balthier is freakin hot, same with vaan, in the cutscenes =P

X-2 was fun with the sphere changes, I loved the mascot class XD. I HATED the fact that summons were dead in the final fantasy universe though. I LOVED FFX though, dunno why you hate it. Bosses are SUPPOSED to get harder. Most bosses you're supposed to use yuna to wear them down then unleash your hard hitters... And all the characters had a unique story to them.

4. Hoppip

I guess I just didn't like it as a whole - it didn't click with me. (Probably the same way XII didn't click with you?)

I loved Rikku's Berserker dressphere because she ginga'd! "Ginga" is like, the fighting stance of Capoeira (which I love). And Rikku did Ginga as a Berserker. I thought Machina Maw was really cool, but Floral Fallal and whatever-Paine-had was lame.

And I didn't like the beginning scene of X-2, with Yuna singing. It was one of those I'm-embarrassed-to-be-playing-this-video-game-in-front-of-people moments. At least for me.

I like FFXII battle system because I have my gambits set up perfectly. I just berserk+haste+lure Basch and let Penelo and Balthier prance around and use Protect, Haste, and Curaga when needed. And Balthier has "Foe HP = 100% - Steal" so he automatically steals various items. : D

Oh, but if you wanna know my favorite game period, it's called Psychonauts. It's for the PS2 - I've played it 3 times though... Which is rare, because I usually get bored with games pretty easily. : D

Favorite FF character? I think mine is Red XIII. I keep in my par-tay as much as possible.

5. Tim

Tim

For favorite FF character... I think Rydia wins that for me, she stayed loyal to her friends, even knowing that they slaughtered her entire village (even if on accident), and even after being swallowed by a giant serpent, she returned to save her friends when they were on the brink of death.

6. Hoppip

Yeah, but you see....

Red XIII is like... a dogwolf.

A talking dogwolf.

: D

Haha. I don't know anything about Rydia. Which game is she from?

I think CuchĂșlainn (the summon) from FFXIII is a FOX.

7. Peridot

I played FFX and X-2. That's really it.

I liked FF7, though, even if I still can't beat it. -_-;;;

8. Tim

Tim

Rydia is from Final Fantasy 4, which comes out as a remake on the DS in july with voice actors. It starts with Cecil, a dark knight, and his dragoon friend going to the village of the summoners delivering a ring from the king. The ring destroys the village, without them knowing what it would do, and they find Rydia to be the last surviving member of the village, her mom was the dragon (first boss of game), she's like 9 years old... Cecil takes her in, but she doesn't trust them, until the kings soldiers try to kill her, when cecil becomes a traitor by killing the soldiers. Then later on, she gets swallowed by leviathan, and isn't seen for a long time... Then when the party dies from an attack in battle, Rydia appears as a full grown woman with new summons, and can kill the boss with her summon spells =P She explains that leviathan brought her to the world of the summons, where time flows differently (which is why she's a woman), and she was training how to become a stronger summoner (she's the last one in the world now...) She lost her ability to use white magic, but she gained massive power.

So yea, she became my fav. character. =P

I'm gonna save money from my first paycheck to buy it if I get this job I'm interviewing for today =P Final Fantasy Tactics A2 comes out next month, I wanna play it, but not worth $30. XD

EDIT: Here's a video from the japanese version of the remake which came out a while ago, which shows Rydia's return :wink:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=u0Qt3aCXnm4[/youtube]

#8 Tim, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  9. Adrian

Adrian Guest

Haven't finished FFXII yet, although I'm near the end. The battle system is a nice change but the plot is the worst one since the NES era. They changed the primary character to Vaan part way through development, I thought that was a bit of a mistake really, since there are other characters more central to the plot.

I'm looking forward to the remake of FFIV coming out for the DS.

Might be worth limiting the spoilerage, I can't imagine there are that many people on here who have completed all the games...

10. Steam Giant

I loved the Final Fantasy series until FF7. FF7, 8, 9 (to a lesser extent) 10 and 10-2, I severely disliked. FFXI (11) was an MMORPG and, really, not much of a FF game, which is why I absolutely fell in love with it and very quickly became addicted, hehe! FFXII (12) was good too, and I loved how they borrowed from FFXI for their battle system.

And, of course, the Tactics games are the win!

Oh, favorite character? Kain. No doubt.

#10 Steam Giant, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let's see....I've played...

1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 12. I still enjoy the series, but the Hollywoodification of it is starting to bug me. Ever since Nomura was popped into the character design chair, everything has gone downhill. Flashy lights, explosions, and wild hair have replaced epic storylines and memorable characters. I'm really not excited about FF13 at all.

12. EthanS

EthanS Guest

i played sum but like a bit of it , and one i played through it all was ff tactics, my fav charaters are vincent and shadow :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: , for some reason I like mysterious characters never the main guy or girl

13. Tim

Tim

That was his name! Kain!

You excited the remake of FF4 is coming out next month like me? =P

14. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

May as well do some ranking
    FFT

Chrono Trigger demolishes the rest. It is at the top of the list!
    I wish squareenix would have let chrono trigger ressurection finish their remake...

Secret of Mana falls after FF7 imo, just because of gameplay and the awesome multiplayer system.

I keep my FF tribute up always, myspace.com/danr
    I need to add tactics and SOM in there, but all in good time.

Fav Character? Its close between Edgar, Magus, Sabin, and Cecil.

15. Steam Giant

Of course! My DS is currently busted, so I'd have to borrow one to play it, but geez, I wouldn't miss this for the world! FF4 was WAY ahead of its time...not only was the dialog/storyline censored when it was released in America, but the original story that was submitted for the original release was also censored! Not to mention that the battle system stayed in use for what, 5 games after this one?

Oh, and if anyone's curious or bored enough, my FFXI playdiary is still up, though it's currently dead. http://treahffxi.blogspot.com

16. Adrian

Adrian Guest

My Life As A King is the new crack.

17. Defraction

I was gonna get that, but I'm not so sure... loads of reviews say it's lacking and it's up to the player to make the most of it.

18. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Ahhhh memories of the crawlie nest and glitching the airship. Walking in water at windurst was fun too. I miss FF11 so much ><

19. Ryguy

Ryguy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well i played 12 3 6 7 10 10-2 tactics advance and PSP and am eagerly waiting for 13 and i love Rikku from 10-2

20. skyoverland

lol I remember that, I miss it sorta it took over my life but I made great friends on XI :slight_smile: