1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any anime you consider as awesome as Death note?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Straight ally, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I really loved Death note! Its passionate, witty, engaging and awesome!... I really thanks a lot to the friend of mine who showed it to me 5 years ago.

Im craving to discover a life changing anime with the same level of impact that Death note had on me...any suggestion from Death note 's lovers.

Please please please! Im craving something like that!

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How about Code Geass? The premise is a lot different (guy with magic eye overthrows evil overlords with giant robots and ambiguious morality), but the execution is basically Death Note and Gundam combined. Awesome.

3. Mysz

Just a warning, you might received some very biased opinions on this. Not necessarily bad opinions, just biased ones. I'll try and base my answer on the similar qualities it shared with Death Note, but give the differences and cons so you can decide for yourself =)
    Shiki - Like Death Note, it questions what is 'good' and what is 'evil'- whether killing people is a crime or necessary. It offers some mystery and unexpected plot twists. Like Death Note, there are essentially two 'sides' in this anime. Both are intelligent, and both try to discover and later outwit each other.
    However, it is somewhat of a horror anime, and does not have a very detective feel like Death Note did. It has more supernatural elements than Death Note, and gets disturbing towards the end.
    Edit: What An Gentlemen recommended is GREAT. I'd write a comparison for Code Geass too, but he summed it up in a much shorter fashion :slight_smile:

4. Momosboy

To me, Elfen Lied. I love it. Neu is super cute, the split personality thing is awesome, and it has the PERFECT level of gore.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One anime I heard the plot of sounds pretty cool, it's called Deadman Wonderland. Look it up. Highschool of the Dead is pretty awesome too, though I'll admit a lot of it is fan service. Another anime I'd highly recommend is Cowboy Bebop if you haven't seen it yet. It's pretty damn awesome and if you stay up late you should be able to catch it on Toonami. I'll also throw FLCL and Full Metal Alchemist out there too, even though I've seen only one episode at best.

I've heard Neon Genesis Evangelion is good too.

6. Ticklish Fish

Liar Game is a MANGA that only have live action japanese drama <3 and manga as far as I know.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

^This ^ x100!

Also Code Geass as mentioned earlier.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Watch Fate/Zero =]

9. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Death Note but I consider both Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (or the manga storyline of FMA) and Attack on Titan (which admittedly, is still going, but I love it) more awesome.

FMAB is a great story with lots of characters and a ton of fantastic twists and turns. It's a definitely a must see, even if you end up not liking it as much as DN.

Attack on Titan is an emotional rollercoaster. There isn't much I can say about it without spoiling anything, just be prepared for this to be some serious shit. They don't squander episodes like some series do, and there is always a lot going to keep interested in the plot, but again, it isn't actually over yet, so that might be a downside.

10. Watch Future Diary (Mirai Nikki). A pretty awesome anime but it gets sad near the ending.

11. BadCanadaJoke

What the other guys said:slight_smile: They beat me to it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But,I viewed what they said, you got your answer :wink:

12. Deaderpool2

yeah code geass is awsome because it IS death note with mecha; one high-school boy is given one ability and with it creates an army in an attempt to overthrow a fascist government. just be warned that in series 2 we get alot of fan service that comes the :***: out of nowhere.
    Shiki is amazing too, at first you think you know who is in the wrong and right but at some point you will start questioning who the villan(s) truely is.
    Full metal brotherhood is amazing though it takes a few episodes for :***: to get real but when it does youll find yourself staying up till 3 am on a work night just to try and squeeze one more episode in.

Baccano is really good as well, it has a great cast of characters whose stories are told out of sink, its set in 3 different times in the space of 2 years, so your never quite sure when what happened and what significance it has on which timeline until it all starts coming together. and by god is it fun along the way. just skipp the last 2 or 3 episodes, they werent based on the manga and were kinda shoehorned in, has a disney sequel kind of feel to it, like beauty and the beast two.

Angel beats is funny and soul destroying. it can be absolutely hilarious and then all of a sudden the mood will whiplash to reveal a characters tragic backstory. a boy wakes up to discover he has no memory and is part of a fancy highschool. however he is infomed that he and everyone else here is dead and that if he gets good grades and behaves as a model student he will "move on" but that he could be reborn as anything including a barnacle or worse. so most of the students are trying to destroy god for giving them such crappy lives and then ending them before they could change it. however a mysterious girl named angel who is also student body president tries to outdo them at every corner, using her unnatural abilities to try and get them to "behave" even if that means cutting their heads off (dont worry they cant die since they are already dead). it can get a bit silly sometimes but when it is good it is SOOOO good.

13. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Cowboy bepbop is good...but not my type xD... On the other hand...deadman wonderland is is is is AAAAWESOOOME!!! When i found out it was incomplete while the manga was finished and there isnt any sign of the anime being finished in another season, i inmediatly searchedfor the manga and read it... And is not like i have the habit of reading mangad...actually this would be my first time, and GOD its awesome...it must! Be completed as anime.

I will have to check highschool of dead, sounds interesting

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2013 at 11:15 AM ----------

I already began to watch it...if it continues with the strenght it began, then its going to be awesome.

14. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

Personally I've never actually watched Death Note, I know I know *Hides* I've wanted to but I've been forgetting I suppose though I heard it is very good. I really enjoyed Black Butler, since Death Note came up as a Recommendation I figured they where similar.

15. AvowingAvery

My favourites of all time are Fullmetal Alchemist (not Brotherhood) and Soul Eater. Death Note is 3rd on my list after them. Not much else really holds a place on the shelf :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. GirlWhoWaited

I love Soul Eater, but it has a very different feel to it. Vampire Knight is pretty girly, but the art is gorgeous. Nabari no Ou is another of my favorites. It's pretty great. Ghost Hunt is fun, and a bit creepy... not the best characterization, but it's entertaining. Nothing really measures up to Death Note for me, but those are the ones that come closest. FMA is really good too, but it's been stated a few times. :slight_smile:

17. Saint Otaku

Elfen Lied, Durarara, Baccano, Madoka Magica, Steins;gate... and of course, Fullmetal Alchemist, Brotherhood all the way, not that manga-deviating "original" (bleck!)

18. penguin machine

I haven't seen it, but the two I love are Hellsing and Trigun. I also enjoyed Digimon Tamers (series 3) far more than I expected, I'd recommend it to anyone. I actually cried. Stupid emotional digimon.... :3