1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many shows is too many?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Oxelotl, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Oxelotl

Okay so I was bored and it occurred to me that I watch a lot of TV shows. Like....I think a crap lot is a good technical term. SO I counted aaaaaand.....I watch 26 TV shows, with further plans to watch another 9 TV shows that I've missed. Equaling 35 TV shows that I would presumably watch, more or less. So is this too many? I feel like I might have a problem. This is including Cartoons, Dramas, Sitcoms and animes.

2. Ticklish Fish

are you doing it during holidays/free time or is it blocking you from doing school work/house work?

it's also nice to fit some exercise in though? You know, people have made some "exercises" while watching tv shows. (the doctor who one is a memorable pic came to mind)

3. Oxelotl

I"m doing it in free time and in holidays and it hasn't necessarily blocked or impinged on my housework. And I also try to do some exercise while watching TV. Sometimes.

4. badwolf13

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If that's too many shows then I don't want to be right.

I'm not sure how many shows I officially watch. *spoilers* It's a lot. I think that as long as watching shows isn't getting in the way of you living a healthy life then why not? Do what makes you happy! That's how I see it.

5. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There is no such thing as watching to many TV shows.

6. Thewitt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i dont think there can be too many shows to watch. If it dosen't cause any negative consequences on your life then go for it. I watch around the same amount of tv shows maybe more. I have complete whole series in like two days while in school.

7. LILuke

As long as it's not getting in the way of you living your life and doing what you need to do then it's totally fine. :slight_smile:

8. Ticklish Fish

Another note, maybe take a break from watching shows and analyze the cultural or social or political topics in the shows? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It'll make watching shows more fun!

9. AAASAS

Don't worry I am addicted to cartoons as well, and will be till death. If I haven't matured at 23 I don't think I'll ever change my preference.

I have spent the last two weeks watching Archer, South Park, and Futurama, so you aren't alone.

10. Oxelotl

Okay so the general consensus I'm getting is that it isn't a problem. Great! Load off my mind.

I try to do that...I'm too daft though! Symbolism is hard for me :slight_smile:

Haha, South Park and Archer is on the list. Both brilliant cartoons/shows.

11. kem

kem

I don't really watch TV, just Netflix and the morning talk show and news before going to school, so 26 sounds overwhelmingly many to me :O I don't think it's a problem but I'm amazed that you can follow that many, I watch maybe like 5 shows.

12. Ticklish Fish

I... want to introduce you to tvtropes XD

lol. I think South Park touch on some current issues too, but I don't watch that show except for occasional videos stumble upon

13. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think in my whole life I've watched my fair share of TV shows. Malcolm In The Middle, Scrubs, Friends, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, The Kardashians (sigh), other random cartoons, Wipeout, Hannibal, American Horror Story, The X Factor, America's Best Dance Crew, fear Factor, Total Blackout, Buffy and others I can't remember.

I just try to balance it out, plus, most of them are either cancelled, or are at night, 9/10pm once a week. So I don't find myself watching TV 24/7. Maybe instead of tuning in every day you could just catch reruns during the week, or use Netflix.

14. DrkRayne

I try to watch TV when I can, but most of my shows are on hiatus right now:
    Rizzoli and Isles
    Fosters

Rookie Blue
    Defiance
    Warehouse 13

I usually DVR then watch when I have more time. I only watch Rizzoli and Isles and Fosters regularly tho. Everything else is when I have a moment.

15. Oxelotl

Well Archer is brilliant. South Park I enjoy mainly because the humour is topical, which I enjoy. And I'm mad for TV Tropes. To the extent I will have 30 tabs open at a time and I go on for 5 minutes and don't get off until 3 hours later. TV Tropes is an obsession.

16. AAASAS

Archer is well put together, but I think South Park's brilliance get's undermined by it's immaturity. The general public likes easy to understand humour that is generally applicable to all, but South Park requires extensive knowledge of pop culture, current events and just North American culture. A lot of it's jokes, that are often satirical go over people heads and they just think people like it because it has bad words and potty humour.

I like it for it's emphasis on modern North American society, and how ridiculous we are. It really humanizes living in this world, and just puts everyone and everything on an equal playing ground; you'll notice they hardly favour one side or another on an issue and like to highlight the human condition in dealing with problems.

I can go on and on about that show, I am not a regular fan, I have been watching it before I could understand all of it's jokes, and it really influenced my humour preference to this day.

Archer is just amazingly written, with amazing sequencing and plot development. The episodes like South Park need to be watched completely from beginning to end to enjoy all the intended jokes. Any other sitcom can be flipped on at any moment, and you can laugh; the laugh tracking encouraging you doesn't hurt either.

You can turn a South Park or Archer episode on in the middle and have no idea what is going on and not understand where every joke is coming from, that's how built up and well developed the shows are.

I also love South Park for making epic episodes like ; Lice Capades,that are only written and developed for one single amazing joke or message at the end.

It is the thought process of people that write things like this that actually make me laugh, anyone can think of jokes you find on Network sitcoms, but it takes a very different mind to come up with some of the stuff found in the shows I mentioned. I laugh because I can't believe someone could be that ridiculous to think that, it's funny to know that adults are just as immature as children we're just conditioned to act "tougher".

Family Guy actually is a show that I have hated but actually really love, it is surprising, thought I don't commend it for character development or plot that much, but a lot of the writers of that show have to be unbelievably hilarious. It just takes one segment of that show to make my day.

17. Oxelotl

Wow talk about your in-depth analysis. Well yes I agree with you. Not being American I'll admit there are some jokes that completely go over me because I just know very minimal stuff about American politicians. But I will agree with you. It's chock full of pop culture references so you need a large understanding. I'd like to think I have a large pop culture understanding because I do get most of the jokes in the show. I don't watch it for the Potty humor I watch it for the Pop culture. I'm basically just repeating myself and rambling here.

As for Family Guy, I feel like the humour is less....smart? I don't know. The pop culture references aren't necessarily strong or interesting or controversial, probably because an episode of FG takes 9 months, SP takes 1 week. I find with Family Guy the humour comes from "Let;s throw whatever joke we can think of at the wall, see what sticks, and then we'll try and weave a plot around them" while shows like Archer or South Park the jokes come from the plot first.

And I like your comment about adults being children. Maturity is just knowing when to be immaturity. So all adults can be come big kids at the thought of immature jokes. Smartly well written immature jokes.

#17 Oxelotl, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  18. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a total TV show junkie too! I don't know what I'd do without them haha. To me, there's no such thing as watching too many TV shows. Not only do I follow a bunch of current ones, but I also go back and watch old ones that have ended. And for my favorite shows, I buy the DVDs and watch them over and over again.