1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Degrassi

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Miss Fox, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Miss Fox

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love the show Degrassi! It has so many story lines that I relate too! I adore the lesbian, and gay couples on the show! And there was this transgender boy named Adam and he was just so awesome! They killed him off though... :c

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be really into Degrassi. Adam was totally awesome. He was the sweetest little cupcake :slight_smile: I stopped watching the season he was introduced though, so I had no clue they killed him off. D:

I find that Degrassi on a whole has always been pretty good at representing the LGBT community (Well, as good as those kind of shows can really be) and portrays it in a positive light, which is also great :grin:

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched Degrassi for only a few episodes, but I loved it to bits. One can't help but acknowledge that so few real high school kids are heart-pounding sexy nor even as dramatic as the ones in the show XD but I was thoroughly entertained.

Oh, and Claire/Eli are a fantastic couple. <3

4. Miss Fox

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh my gosh!<3 I agree! ELI AND CLARE ARE SO ADORABLE!;w; Elcare all the way!

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2013 at 02:58 PM ----------

Batman: Yeah Adam was awesome! And aww! You've really missed out on some good stuff! And yeah he just recently killed him off. :c He was texting and driving. And I agree with you, Degrassi has been representing the LGBT community really well!

5. Rainbow Girl

Degrassi is my favourite show. I loved Adam, it's too bad they killed him off but I heard many times that the actress left for another show. I also found Fiona Coyne who was an out lesbian really inspirational. She was strong, fierce, feisty and brave. I loved her. And I adore Eclare too.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the things I think is cool about the show is that it's been going on for generations. Some of the teachers/parents in the current show (as of couple years ago) were students in the earlier generation of the show.

I also like how they aren't afraid to tackle tough subjects: self-harm, teen pregnancy, bullying, drug addiction, disability. And they do it in a sensitive and thoughtful way.

I can't help but think (without any backup) that Ryan Murphy may have drawn some from DeGrassi's approaches with some of the ways that Glee has handled some of these tough topics.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't seem the newer ones, but I really loved watching the earlier DeGrassi Jr. High series, especially the first series. It's aged really well.

Weird, I kinda dress like the in an 80s DeGrassi style!

8. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Darco was done well. The Riley storyline was done HORRIBLY. The lesbian storylines are done well, as usual.

9. Abbra

Awww Adam died? He was one of the only characters I still liked.

Truthfully, I don't really like the show anymore. I don't know if it's because of nostalgia or whatever, but it honestly feels like the show kind of lost that realism that made it so great when I first discovered it. There are still some really great stories (Adam's comes to mind), but a large majority of the stories almost became too big for high school. One of the most impactful moments of The Next Generation series was when Jimmy got shot. However, now they are having shootings and killings so often that it lost that soul that kept it held together so well.

I guess the show isn't bad so much as it's just changed a lot.

I'm also going to say that I haven't liked any of the lesbian storylines (granted, I haven't watched since the Las Vegas movie, so it could have changed). I absolutely loved Fiona as a character and was so happy that she ended up being a lesbian, because she was frankly the only one suited for the sexuality. Alex and Paige always screamed "we did it for ratings" because there was no build up to them being lesbians,and Alex literally changed from straight to gay with no prior development. However, they then ended up doing the same thing with Imogen and just decided to make her bisexual even though there were no hints. I honestly believe the thing that causes so much grief in the gay community is this idea that we can somehow make straight people be gay just because we like them, when that is rarely ever the case.

I still love the older series to bits though. Perhaps I'll try and pick the show up again and give it another shot.