1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Book Club?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GirlWhoWaited, Sep 30, 2013.

1. GirlWhoWaited

So, I was thinking... would anyone be interested in doing a book club on here? We could choose a book every month that focuses on LGBT issues or characters and then discuss it. I work at a library, and I keep finding ones that I want to check out. But, since I'm ever-so-closeted, I couldn't really talk about them with anybody. I figured there are bound to be a few others who feel that way. What do you guys think? :icon_bigg

2. iHateThinking

This sounds cool, actually. I'd be down for this, especially because I love to read. But I'm not exactly sure how the set-up would work. Everyone just reads a book and there's a thread started? What if you don't finish in the allotted time? (Don't mind me, I'm just nitpicking).

But seriously, this sounds like a fun idea. Gives me an excuse to spend work money on books. :grin:

3. LILuke

Judging by your picture I would assume you like The Fault in Our Stars? You might want to chreck out Will Greyson, Will Greyson which John Green cowrote with David Levithan.

4. SouthernPangun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'd be down for this book club. It would give me a reason to pick up reading interesting things again since I seem to be having an issue with that now that I'm in college.

5. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I might be interested, if a bit underfunded.

6. GirlWhoWaited

I've read it. :slight_smile:

A few books I've looked at are "The Miseducation of Cameron Post" by Emily M. Danforth , "All the Colors of Love" by Jessica Freely, "Two Boys Kissing" by David Levithan, and "Twixt" by Sarah Diemer. If anyone else has suggestions, we can make a list and set up a poll to decide. I'm excited that there's some interest in this idea. :eusa_danc

7. lukeluvznicki13

I'd like to join your book club if it does start up :3

8. Miss Loopy

Sounds awesome... but at the same time, limiting it to just LGBTQ issues is probably a little close minded when we're trying to get people to be open minded themselves.

9. GirlWhoWaited

I'm sorry if it seems that way. It isn't intended to be about exclusivity. It's intended to be a way to explore literary views and portrayals of our community. I definitely read tons of non-LGBT books on my own, and I'm sure everyone else here does too. It's not an assertion that LGBT books are better than others, just that they are less read and worth our attention. Again, I'm sorry if you were in any way offended.

10. Miss Loopy

Ahh, I understand. I'm not, I'm just wondering how many there actually are about that out there. But personally, I've found the books that have touched me the most actually aren't about LGBT issues, but those that simply touch on them.

You didn't offend me, don't worry.

*note to self, use more emoticons*

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

*note to self, reward self with cookie later*

11. GirlWhoWaited

There are quite a few (both fiction and nonfiction), they just don't get a lot of recognition. I feel the same way, most of my favorite books are pretty mainstream (see icon :wink: ) but I haven't read a ton of LGBT books, so I'm working on that.

12. blond

Yeah i would like to join it too.
    Because i have not really read any books that focus on lgbtq issues.

13. Miss Loopy

Whilst I do like books that entail a story of it, I find that so many of them are literally just how certain people coped with it, which gets overly repetitive.

14. GirlWhoWaited

Agreed. Obviously, I don't know how long this would go on or what people would want to read, but I'd be totally open to incorporating something like "Mortal Instruments", which has gay characters (who are awesome and BA as well), but their sexuality isn't central. "Twixt", one of the books I looked at, is a YA dystopian that happens to center around a gay character. :slight_smile:

15. Englishlad

I would love to join the book club if it gets off the ground. :slight_smile:

16. Silver Sparrow

I'd be in. Ooh, the Miseducation of Cameron Post.

17. utsuratsura

I'd definitely be in~

18. iHateThinking

Maybe we could have like, a monthly theme for a novel? Like, one month it could be dystopian, the next month could be horror, etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be LGBT only, though I've wanted to read more LGBT books. So maybe we could do a blend of both LGBT and non-LGBT or LGBT-related novels? Maybe alternate back and forth between the two?

One book I have (But haven't finished) is The Culling by Steven Dos Santos. The main character (from what I've read so far) is definitely gay.

19. biggayguy

I'd like to join. I'm currently re-reading the Magic's Pawn trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. The main character is a gay teen in a medieval world that also has magic. His father rules a small kingdom. He tries to toughen up his gay first-born son. OTOH I'd be interested in something new to read as well.

20. Talented Miss K

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to join the book club. I'm a buyer for a used bookstore, I belong to a book club now but we've never touched on anything LGBT. No one is against reading on this topic but I can tell it makes some uncomfortable.