1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rugby anyone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JackAttack, Oct 7, 2013.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Are there any Rugby fans on here, whether thats Union, League, Sevens etc? I dont play myself but I enjoy watching it at club and international level. My Dads side of my family are massive Leicester Tiger fans so I sometimes get to go to the games with my Dad who has a season ticket. Im not expecting us to win the league this year, but we've won it enough so its only fair to let someone else win it for once :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I would like a Heineken Cup win though, which isn't likely to happen.

Iv watched the odd Rugby League game in the past and I love the Internationals, including the four and six nations.

Im just interested to see if there are any Rugby fans who are also gay, I don't believe in stereotypes. Also, do you play it?

2. Miss Loopy

Uhh... Rugby League...

I'm a wire fan xD

Union is a different world to me...

3. LiquidSwords

Yuck! Lived in Bath most of my life so obviously I hate Leicester :icon_bigg Doubtful that Bath will be able to make playoffs this year but Heineken Cup qualification has to happen (or whatever European comp we have next year).

Pretty mad about rugby actually, I'm rarely more happy than when I'm playing. Play backrow and occasionally wing, not at an especially high level but it's not bad. Don't know any gay rugby players irl besides me though :confused:

4. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Haha is that hate actually Jealousy? (Just kidding). Bath were good with that win over us a few weeks ago, I wish George Ford was still playing for us. The European comp needs to change anyway, its unfair at the moment.

Its good to hear that there are gay players out there, there was one time when I thought gay people didn't play sport at all.

5. LiquidSwords

No it's genuine hate :icon_bigg Just kidding, I've got a lot of respect for Leicester, was chuffed with our win a few weeks back. Bath are just so up and down at the moment though I have no idea where we'll end up this season. George Ford is looking great though, matter of time before he plays for England I reckon.

Yeah I get what you mean about gay guys in sports, there aren't many professional sportsmen who've come out, at least not in the big team sports in the UK. Still I think I'd be a lot more daunted about coming out in football, for example, than I am about coming out in rugby, I don't think it will be a major problem.

Wallabies star David Pocock lauds ARU's 'Inclusion' policy, which will aim to stamp out homophobia | News.com.au
    Ben Cohen ends rugby career to set up foundation to tackle homophobia and bullying - Telegraph
    Couple of interesting articles.

6. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Respect but you love it when we lose haha. At Home Bath look good, but away you might struggle (that seems to be the case with many team though haha). You could make the top four, since Harlequins are getten poor and Gloucester (who were favourites to make top four) are doing shit. That 4th spot is definitely between Bath and Exeter in my opinion. Im going for a Saracens win this year and Tigers to finish 3rd behind a certain club :/.

There are a few like Gareth Thomas, but your right about it being harder in football especially with all those loud fans. Iv noticed a big difference in fan behaviour when I go to Rugby matches and football matches, the Rugby ones are way more respectful. I still hear the odd racist shout at football matches.

Thanks for those articles. This is pretty good about Gareth Thomas, but I dont hthink you can watch it on this link anymore. Gareth Thomas - Coming Out | My Secret Past | Channel 5

7. Dented

Looks like this rabid Northampton Saints fan picked the right time to come back... :icon_bigg

8. LiquidSwords

A Saints fan to share my Leicester hate! :icon_bigg

I'm sticking with the same top four I picked at the beginning of the season, Sarries top then Leicester, Northampton, Quins making it up. Gloucester, Bath, Exeter with outside chances of making it though.

I know plenty of football guys and rugby guys and I feel much less nervous about telling rugby guys than the football guys. Just seems to be this horrible 'lad' culture with football that doesn't exist to the same extent in rugby, at least not where I play.

Yeah I've read articles and seen interviews about Gareth Thomas but haven't seen that particular programme, might try and track it down, ta.

9. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Haha a Saints fan and a Bath fan as the first Union fans to post on this thread, what a great start.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Oh no, haha. To be fair you're looking good this year, it must be from losing to us in the final last season :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. This might be your year.

I think the term "football is a gentleman's game played by thugs and rugby is a thug's game played by gentlemen" can be applied here haha.

#9 JackAttack, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  10. Dented

Oh, you did not just say that... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And you say that, but we'll probably end up doing great until about February, lose all our internationals to the Six Nations, slide down the table, get back up to about third place, then lose to either you or Saracens :slight_smile:evil:slight_smile: in the semi-finals like what's happened for about the past four years. But yeah, we've still got a pretty decent chance, I guess.

I don't play anymore, but around here, the people who played rugby were often the same people who played football as well. With the predictable 'lad' crap. But yeah, on the whole, it does seem to be more accepting than other sports.

11. LiquidSwords

European weekends were so much more fun when Bath were involved :icon_sad:

Always support the English teams in the HC but it will be weird cheering for Leicester later :lol: Reckon it will be really tight and Ulster will take it by just a few points though.

Wins also for Northampton over Castres, Perpignan over Gloucester, Leinster over Ospreys and Clermont Auvergne over Racing Metro, think that covers all the tight games.

Saracens to win the comp I reckon although it could be any of about 5/6 teams.

12. mvjp

WELSH RUGBY UNION :grin:
    but english rugby league
    my dads welsh but i was brought up in Manchester so for league i go salford reds
    ive never played rugby myself but i have a few friends who do / have and two of them are indeed gay

a far superior game to football

13. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

You will probably be back in it next year.

It was a tight game but we were sloppy and Ulster were quite lucky at times, we have a lot of players injured. I think they deserved the win though and im quite happy with losing bonus point. I like Flood but the amount of times he gave the ball away from some poor kicking was annoying. We have a tough group with Montpelier also in it, but I think we can do it though. Not sure about Saracens, they seem to mess up in the Heineken cup every season when they start good. Im going for a French side, Toulouse or Toulon this season.

#13 JackAttack, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  14. LiquidSwords

[​IMG]

Him and Halfpenny in the same Wales team this weekend, can't miss this :icon_bigg

15. English Frenchman

As proud as I am to be English and as proud as I am that England founded the sport....

France will kick anyone’s ass (except New Zealand) at Rugby. We are the most feared European team. We got to the World Cup, made it to the finals against the Kiwis. Admittedly we lost, but it was still a great game.

If only our football team could be as good...