1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's coming back!! YAY! DANCE

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by srslywtf, Oct 15, 2013.

1. srslywtf

[YOUTUBE]t4D5egXVqSg[/YOUTUBE]

I'm an oldschool dance fanatic... I mean, I get into the new stuff.... but really, it doesn't have the same feeling as it originally did. The production values are great.. But it's either mindless drunk singalong music, or takes itself far too seriously (IMO)

I was depressed about it for a long time... But everything repeats in cycles.
    I hoped.. I've been waiting - and sure enough, here it comes! I mean.. people never stopped making music like this, but.. Hearing it on a commercial radio station ? Well that blew my mind the other night.

Maybe there is hope for humanity yet! Although there's a big difference between getting into a certain type of music, and getting into the spirit of that kinda thing.. (!)

[YOUTUBE]91V0Cqx9TzM[/YOUTUBE]

Of course this is all opinion, yall can feel free to hate it :lol:

2. Moodlighter

Moodlighter Guest

I like that Chase & Status tune very much! Thanks for introducing it to me. I feel your feels regarding old skool dance. I am stuck in all the older stuff. I just love "that" sound. However, this recent tune feels really nostalgic...

[YOUTUBE]Y3CYKXBEtf0[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2013 at 12:51 PM ----------

Oh....my....god....am I actually sitting here ENJOYING and HAVING RESPECT for a Katy Perry tune? Can this BE??? :O

3. srslywtf

Haha its crazy hey! Great stuff...

4. AAASAS

It depends on the geographical area where you live.

Dance music is played a lot on radio stations in Toronto. Though I don't really like it, I am surprised to hear you say you never hear it, it's all I hear; we don't even have an actual hip-hop station, basically all dance beats, with some rock. There is also no true country station either.

European countries are big on dance music too, even older style.

I think where you live is the problem.

5. srslywtf

I mean *real* dance music.. and yeah.. europe & UK are somewhat of an exception

I can hear the standard commercial garbage, it's overrun the place here. It's not so much that the music is plain bad (although alot of it is...) , just that the attitude that used to come with dance / dance parties has not been brought through, and it's been turned from dance music, into 'drunk singalong music with dance sounds'

#5 srslywtf, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  6. Moodlighter

Moodlighter Guest

This. 10000000000x this.

Nowadays in a club when I request something like Better Off Alone by Alice Deejay (commercial yet old skool) the DJ looks hesitant and says "....hmm maybe if it fits with everything else" when playing modern commerical sh*t tunes that have those same dancey elements. So instead I have to put up with something like a dancey tune by say Rihanna follwed by a slow rnb tune by beyonce just because the names fit together instead of the tunes. These days it seems a gay club is more about how many "gay icon names' you can drop. Kylie gaga minaj perry. Im lucky if get any trance.

7. AAASAS

You can hear a lot of 90's dance songs on the radio hear, it may not be house or trance but that isn't "dance" it's house and trance, Dance music is a really broad genre so you may think it is something when another person thinks it is another.

I wouldn't say the attitude of dance music is the best, it can seem superficial. The lyrics are usually about love and really monotonous in their sound. Not to mention it's mainly all straight love.

Again though Toronto has many radio stations that play dance music, older and newer. It really isn't something different hear. A lot of it is commercial obviously, but thats the only way a radio station will make money.

You can't expect to hear underground anything on the radio, when most radio stations are a business.

Sirius is the only radio I can think off that play alternative of any genre, and that's because they make their money through subscription, if you make your money running live ads, you are going to be playing garbage because people won't listen unless it's garbage.... no idea why.

* all the music you provided is heard on the radio hear on the daily, not the same artists but the same type.

Z 103.5 plays dance crap all freaking day with the odd pop song; a lot is actually obscure bands you wouldn't have heard of so I take back my statement of only playing garbage to make money.

There are so many dance stations I can't name them all I can name all the rock stations and one crap hip-hop station but there are too many dance stations too name.

#7 AAASAS, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Moodlighter

Moodlighter Guest

Trance and house are sub-genres of dance. Real dance.

In fact many actual dance/electronic tunes feature lyrics about things other than love (life, spirituality, self reflection, etc) and employ and create rich and diverse palletes of stimulating, evocative and invigorating sounds. Not to mention crossing with other genres such as classical, rock, nature, folk....

I would venture a guess that you probably do not know much about real dance music. I have explored and continue to explore it as much as possible and am constantly excited by what I hear. I also make this music myself. I know my field. We push boundaries.

It does seem common that people write off and judge a whole genre of music without possessing enough knowledge/understanding to do so. But then That's what people do with many things.

#8 Moodlighter, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013