1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eminem

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sarah1, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

Eminem has a new single out named "rap god" - cool, maybe he'll become unpopular now and go away like The Beatles after "bigger than Jesus"

A girl can hope

2. DrkRayne

I actually like him. Despite the words he uses, Eminem came out for marriage equality and in support of gay people a while ago.

He used the derogatory terms against other rappers who have dissed him. We all know they are derogatory, but the hip-hop community has used them as insults for years and that's what he is doing. He isnt singling out gay people.

3. someperson1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yea I like him too. I'm not sure that he should get away with as much as he does though. I guess the success of his music depends a good deal upon the controversiality of his lyrics though. I just hope that his music and other rappers' stuff doesn't make homophobia and other forms of prejudice more acceptable and rampant.

4. LiquidSwords

The Beatles never really got unpopular though :confused: Anyway I lost interest in Eminem some time ago but I definitely rate a lot of what he's done in the past.

Homophobia in hip hop tends to be overstated and it's got a whole lot better in a relatively short period of time.

5. elel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be a fan, but his quality of work is pretty bad nowadays. I hate berserk and I have no interest in listening to the rest of the album. Personally, I don't like the deragoratory words that he used in many of his songs.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still need to revisit his discography. I remember listening to a lot of his stuff when I was a kid back when ICP's Joker Card series was coming to an end or it had just ended. Good times.

7. lukeluvznicki13

I don't like his music
    i realised recently that all he does is just shout when he is suppose to be rapping o.e

8. Foxface

I think his early rap work is fantastic. I think the shouting comes from anger but there are plenty of verse that is rapped instead of shouted. A couple of his songs transform from rap to the shouting and it gives an emotional depth to it

See Stan and Lose Yourself (Warning: Explicit lyrics)

Both of these show the mounting anger that just rises and rises throughout the story

Foxface

9. Moodlighter

Moodlighter Guest

I dont think he's relevant today. Much like the likes of J-Lo.
    I also don't care for his self indulgent anger. It's like a moaning adult acting like a kid. Go get some therapy. Sure let it out through your music because it's cathartic but why inflict it on the rest of us. It's like much poetry -its SO personal in such a way but you still want people to "yes eminemiwemmy I understand poor eminemiwemmy".

10. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

This i totally disagree with ! He can say "i support marriage equality" then go on and on about gay boys and FAGGOTS. kids hear those words and repeat them cuz they make it look cool to be a homophobe! This is something that has real life impact for real people! Like my 9 year old nephew who is being bullied at his school!!

Would people put up with it if he were saying "brown boy go back to mexico" ?? Hell no!! but its ok to be a homophobe in main stream media!! i fucking hate it!!!

No more of this "oh his music is cool, dont blame hip hop" its total bullshit!!!

#10 Sarah1, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
  11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "We Made You" was a nostalgic trip for me. I feel so left in the dark since I don't keep up with artists anymore, so I don't know when or if he's releasing a new album.

12. Foxface

because every single one of us has the easiest job in the world when it comes to music...CLICK! Music off

It's also cathartic for the hundreds of thousands of kids who have lived the same life. It's nice they aren't alone.

Adele and Taylor Swift whine and moan about past loves and exes. Why should they subject us to it? It's the same argument. I could easily say...get over it Adele and Taylor. Or get over it Eminem. The music gives voices to people some times.

but again...CLICK! music gone. So it isn't 'inflicted on us' when each of us has the power to turn it off or never turn it on in the first place

Look I am not crazy he used the f-word in some of his lyrics. I get the upset and anger and I don't actually feel it's wrong to be upset about that. It's absolutely the opinions of the listeners but it irritates me when someone makes it sound like we have to hear it.

Early rap and R/B had a hell of a voice. Granted now it's all Kanye calling himself a genius and talking about objectifying women but before it had stories to tell and I believe some of Eminem's stories are amazing

Again...listen to Stan. A great tale about an obsessed fan who saw a non-existant relationship and suffered.

Lose Yourself is a great tale of a boy becoming a man despite the incredible odds against him

Foxface

13. AAASAS

Yay another person that hates Eminem.

This pop singer, yes he isn't a fucking rapper, I know thousands of artists with more integrity than him who haven't been recognized so he clearly is a pop artist.

He is homophobic, and thinks he is hard when he raps about fucking pop culture and celebrities, he is a fucking loser. I cannot express how much I hate Eminem.... and I love hip-hop.

I can almost judge a true hip-hop fan by if they listen or respect Eminem. Especially white people, anyone that thinks he is great because he is the "only" white rapper clearly doesn't listen to hip-hop and is unaware of 100's of white rappers with more integrity than him.

Eminem is a talentless joke, he couldn't make a beat, doesn't know anything about music, and only says things for shock value.

He reminds me of a 13 year old, rapping about gay people, and how much he hates his mom. Get some real problems you fucking joke.

To the O.P I hope Eminem disappears as well.

He also used DRE for his beats, every fucking rapper from his era used Dre or Premier, so that automatically discredits him from hip-hop in my books. Dre makes the same type of beats over and over again, Premier is awesome but he kind of stagnated in his progression.

Bleh, sorry I love hip-hop and hate when Eminem's name is used in the same sentence without the words is not.

I also hate the way he raps, he puts on a nasaly annoying tone to his voice that reminds me on someone being mocked.

Anyone that says his songs are deep hasn't listened to hip-hop, his songs are superficial, and so far up there own ass he is craping them out.

I am willing to listen hundreds of artists that could destroy his credibility in seconds.

#13 AAASAS, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  14. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

Wooeee, let's be friends :slight_smile:

15. Moodlighter

Moodlighter Guest

You're right. Inflicted was the wrong word. I certainly do not feel inflicted, because I turn him off the moment I hear his stuff. But on the odd occasion I have given him a listen, I think my biggest issue with him is more his "tone" - that angry shouty voice. It exhausts and bores me. And come to think of it, and this is just a theory, if he was to rap with the same voice about fluffy bunnies and everyone kissing each other, I imagine I'd be equally bored and exhausted by it. It's not so much the lyrics, but the lyrics do usually match his stroppy voice.

Adele has a voice I can tolerate and even enjoy.

And to re-think once again - as WooEE pointed out - there are other numerous rappers who are "more talented" etc but they do not get the attention/air-time/support/promotion that Eminimeimein does. Eminineinm is pop - popular - chart - the genre of music that is forced on people - you can't help but catch it at some point - so in a way it kind of is inflicted. The fact that I have to even reach for the "off" button is enough to say the song has been put in my way. Whereas these other rappers that WooEE talks about, I've never had to turn them off, because they've never been on, in my way. It would be even worse if he came on in a nightclub - fortunately that has never happened - but there is a degree of infliction. Popular chart music is inflicted.

Nicola Hitchcock is not inflicted. I have to go looking for her music. One reviewer said one of her albums lyrically sounds like she is just having a constant moan about her failed loves. But her voice is so tender, enchanting and breathtaking, and the music is lush.

#15 Moodlighter, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
  16. Foxface

We're just going to go around and around with this so I am just finishing with this statement. In the first sentence you say 'inflicted' wasn't the right term then you rattled off reasons why it is 'inflicted'.

Music isn't a compulsory sentence. I think it's a bit rough to say because you have to 'reach for the off button' and thus it's inflicted. I mean I can see why many don't like him and that is totally fine but like I said, tune him out, don't listen, hit the off button.

And this statement is towards really anyone but again...don't like him, don't listen.

I think Justin Bieber is a no-talent waste of space jst like the Jonas Bros and One Direction so I don't listen.

anyway, have a fine day

Foxface

17. Moodlighter

Moodlighter Guest

If you read what I said I openly stated I was re-thinking (reflecting and reforming) my ideas. So in a sense I am debating with myself as much as I am you. I am allowed to do that. Thus I was not "rattling off" reasons as you put it in a manner that came across as condescending.

18. Thedistra

I use to listen to him when I was little. My dad did so I did as well. Same thing with ICP, Pink and 50 cent. I still like his old stuff and haven't heard his new stuff. Personally even if i listen to a song over and over for a hour or two I still don't remember the words. So I never noticed that he said anything about gays. (That's my guess as to why I never noticed)

Having memories attached to his early work probably makes me bias to him, but even so I don't think he's the worse rapper out there. I mean he is certainly better than 50 cent. I rather like Gone without me, Stan, and Fack for childish reasons.

I believe he is the only rapper that I like at all anymore. Though I don't really listen to music much expect in the car, whatever happens to be on the radio.

Shrug I'm behind the times.

19. LiquidSwords

You can't be into hip hop and like eminem, for real? :confused:

It's not like I worship him and he's nowhere near my favourite rapper but I've got a fair amount of respect for him.

#19 LiquidSwords, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  20. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You can stereotype or make fun of homosexuals without being homophobic. Think about Seth MacFarlane. He makes fun of everything on Family Guy including homosexuals (Brian's cousin Jasper, Stewie, etc) and is still a big gay rights supporter