1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gravity (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AtheistWorld, Oct 19, 2013.

1. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I saw Gravity and I thought it was a well-done film. I normally think Bullock is overrated but she pulled off a good performance here. But....the contradicitons in the movie really bugged me.

George Clooney wasn't supposed to die. In the first place, if the movie was scientifically accurate then he would float back to Bullock after the tug. Secondly and most importantly, he was jetting her around, so not only did they contradict science, they also contradicted their own plot...

America's already a very illiterate country, not just in terms of politics, math, geographyeconomics, but also in science. I can't help but see these kind of inaccuracies in movies and tv as part of what's dumbing us down.

It's a shame Carl Sagan didn't write the script. It could've been perfect if he would've written it...

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read an interesting article that was an interview with their science advisor, who has very reputable credentials.

There were other serious problems with the plot, most importantly the fact that the Hubble, the space station, and the Chinese station are in three separate orbits, hundreds of miles apart.

The science advisor spoke of a number of the problems with the plot, and those were issues that everyone was aware of, including the director. They made the decision to do some things that were simply unrealistic so as to make a better, more exciting plot, and figured that people would be willing to suspend belief for the sake of having a more exciting plot.

Hardly any movies made, even those based on real events, are 100% accurate to the events they are portraying. They always take liberties for dramatic tension and artistic license.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    And I get that they had to use fake science. I can accept the fake science but only to an extent. But to show the severe lack of understanding about gravity when their movie is called Gravity?... Ugh, that's just so annoying.

From a technical standpoint, I thought it was superb. It was groovy how they had the muffled dialogue, and the silence in outer space. The audio was done well, making it feel so real. the reflection of earth on the helmets was another thing that I liked. So while it was badly written, I loved the production they put into it.

4. Stripe101

I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't until afterwards I started to think about it's inaccuracies. I guess it just drew me into the terror they were feeling of being stranded in space. It's only a film. It's allowed to be inaccurate sometimes.

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first saw this thread, I was like, "oh man, what did I do?"

I didn't know there was a movie called Gravity out. Guess I have to go see it, fake science or no.

6. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    @Gravity: Haha, I didn't even know there was an administrator with that name.

@Stripe101: Eh, it's kinda inexcusable for the movie to have that many inaccuracies though. They're a studio with lots of money, meaning they have access to any scientist who could assist them with writing the script. Evidently, the science didn't care that the film was so inaccurate or he wasn't an expert.