1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Trumpetplyer23, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Trumpetplyer23

What are some of your favorite books? They don't have to be LGBT related to be in this discussion. What books are you planning to read in the near future?

My favorite books are (in no particular order): 1984 by George Orwell, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesday's With Morrie by Mitch Alboum, and Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis.

I'm planning to read: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (for English class :dry:slight_smile:, Catch 22 by Joesph Heller, For One More Day by Mitch Alboum, and 1985 by Anthony Burgess.

2. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

To be honest I don't really read that often, but I do enjoy a good book every now and then lol..

I love Truman Capote.. My favourite book is "In Cold Blood" which is amazing!!!
    My other favourites are "The Time Traveller's Wife," "Lovely Bones" and "A Short History Of Nearly Everything."

I'll show all those people who think I don't read... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: hee hee.

3. Jonathan

Some of my favorite books are the Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin, The Godslayer Chronicles by James Clemens, the Shanarra series by Terry Brooks and I just finished reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

4. BadAndy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently started reading a ton of books. I really like to read series so I can grow attached to characters and get lots story on the same thing....My favorites are:

Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse by Stephanie Meyers (there's a 4th one coming out in August!)
    All 7 Harry Potters by JK Rowling
    The Belgariad and Mallorean by David Eddings
    Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea..by Chelsea Handler (I find her hilarious...)

I read a lot of good LGBT books recently as well..my favorites for these were:

How I Paid for College and Attack of the Theater People by Marc Acito
    When You Don't See Me by Timothy James Beck
    M or F? (I don't remember the Authors' names)

5. My fave. books are:

Goodnight Gracie : I forgot the author
    Good Grief : Lolly Winston
    Empress of the world : Sara Ryan
    Hope was Here: Joan Bauer
    The Night I disappeared : I forgot the author

That is just my top five.

6. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

Perks of Being a Wallflower
    13 Reasons Why
    City of Bones (series)
    Raven's Gate (series)
    Twilight (series)
    For Kings and Planets
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Petit Prince
    The Giver
    The Chosen
    Catcher in the Rye

So... this are just the books that I consider my faves forever :slight_smile:

7. davo-man

My favourites are The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett and Galax-Arena by Gillian Rubenstein.

I also love all Terry Pratchett books, Carrie by Stephen King and Catch Me If You Can by Frank Abagnale Jr

Does anyone remember the Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks movie, Catch Me If You Can? Well, this is the orginal autobiographical book by the man himself...It's really interesting

Also, how can The Haunting of Hill House be boring? That would be awesome! Esp cos you can just watch the two movies made of and compare. Also, I read A Clockwork Orange for Year 11 English and also found it really interesting. Once I got past the alternative language the book used, it's a really interesting read, esp the final chapter that's emitted in some past publications (The ones in America I think). And, I also loved The 5 People You Meet in Heaven. I was also going to choose that to study in Year 11 but my teacher wouldn't let me. It was a really good book :grin:

So, in summary, you have quite a similar taste in books to me :grin:

8. MusicIsLife

My faves:
    The Lord of The Rings Series by J.R.R Tolkien
    Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
    Kiesha'ra Series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
    Nyeusigrube Series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
    Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
    Keeping You A Secret by Julie Anne Peters
    The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

9. Poring

Twilight is getting really popular here, and with the upcoming movie, I could just guess how crazy everyone will be. Never read it though, so I can't tell if its good or bad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, I love the books by Paulo Coelho, namely The Alchemist, By the River Piedra I sat down and Wept. Really inspirational books ^_^

10. Kyle Tristan

Kyle Tristan Guest

I LURVE All Books By Sidney Sheldon!

11. Trumpetplyer23

I don't think Haunting of Hill House will be boring, it sounds okay. The reason for the :dry: is because I'm in Honors English 10, and that's the book we have to read, the regular English 10 classes get to read one of my favorite books, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I apologized, I should have specified. Plus, I have to write an essay on fear and the human mind after I read the book. Should be fun.

Yeah, in the original American publications of A Clockwork Orange the last chapter was omitted. However, there are copies of it with the last chapter included and I have that version.

Stephen King is one of my favorite writers. I loved Carrie, but it's not my favorite. My favorite is The Shining.

12. Level N Human

Poisonwood Bible - Kingsolver - I loved the language motif in this one.
    Watchmen - Moore - Does this count? :grin:...
    Battle Royale - Takami - Just for pure entertainment
    Clockwork Orange & The Wanting Seed - Burgess
    Breakfast of Champions & Slaughterhouse Five - Vonnegut
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series - Adams - Self-explanatory.
    1984 - Orwell
    All Quiet on the Western Front - Remarque - Shows a lot about the dehumanizing effects of war.
    The Giving Tree - Silverstein
    The Little Prince - Saint-Exupéry - It's just perfect.

13. Malchik89

My fav books right know are the Demonata Series by Darren Shan, author of Cirque Du Freak xD

14. thiciati

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I read Cirque Du Freak a couple years ago. They were short and easy to read, but good books nonetheless. :slight_smile:

Some of my favorites are:

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
    1984, George Orwell
    Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
    Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
    A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain
    Thr3e, Ted Dekker
    Order of the Odd-Fish, James Kennedy
    Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell (though I didn't really care for Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley... it read more like a long, drawn-out fanfiction more than a sequel)
    So Now You're a Zombie, John Austin