1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate ID

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AtheistWorld, Oct 19, 2013.

1. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I was watching ID, my **now** ex favorite channel, and they were showing a program about a man who married his transgender girlfriend. The transwoman's name was Kris. Sometime during the course of their relationship before the wedding, the man met a cisgender woman and left his transgender lover for her, but he returned to her after his affair with the other woman went sour.

The two got married and they were happy together. Kris had promised to marry her boyfriend and that was enough to lure him away from the other woman for good, but the jilted ex showed up at their wedding, shouting undisguised transphobic insults at Kris.

A while later the scorned transphobic woman was found dead somewhere in a remote area, and they blamed Kris for it, even though the evidence against her was quite tenuous. Now aside from presenting another transperson as a killer, I have one other gigantic gripe about the show. All throughout the segment they constantly referred to Kris as a man, and I recoiled in horror after hearing that. Every time they called her a he or a man, I was reminded of the transphobia I've experienced from straight and gay people alike.

I really wish these programs would stop feeding the anti-trans fire. Not once have I ever een this show broadcast any cisgender people murdering trans people. Worse, that's way more common than trans-oncis violence, and they're owned by Discovery Communications. They're a reputable company, so what kind of message does that send to people when they're airing programs that instruct them to not only mistrust trans people but to hate us??

But this isn't their first foray into prejudice. On another show they depicted Gypsy people as parasites who are only interested in marrying rich men for their money. I knew I should've quit watching it after they disseminated that hateful material. The transphobia stings more, but I shouldn't be more sympathetic to it just because they weren't attacking my race.

I'm so incensed, and it's too bad nobody's invented the Howlers from Harry Potter because I'd just love to send the owners of Discovery Communications one of them right now.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of people in the mainstream don't realize the completeness of feeling that transgenderism is. Even news staff consider a transwoman to be a man who wishes he were a woman, not a woman unfortunate enough to have a man's body.

It's the blind leading the blind, nothing more. Never attribute to malice what you can to ignorance.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    But what about the blatant racism regarding the way they presented all Gypsies as thieves?

I mentioned that for a reason. I wouldn't have abandoned the channel for one offense. But when it happens twice within a span of TWO days, it suggests an agenda. That agenda is to propagate hatred against transpeople and Gypsies. They're an educational channel, so why the **** are they showing hateful propaganda on their airwaves?! I'd expect something like this from Fox but they're a respectable network in the eyes of most people so it's quite unprofessional of them to be putting so much misinformation out there.

I'm gonna boycott them and all the other channels from the company. It's too bad both groups are such small and marginalized minorities. I'd be tempted to start a boycott if I didn't think it would be so ineffective. Most people couldn't give a care about either group. [​IMG]