1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people in most zombie fiction know about zombies?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Siarad, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Siarad

A slightly random one but I'm just starting to watch The Walking Dead for the first time and it made me wonder about zombie films/TV.

Zombies as they appear in The Walking Dead and other filmed zombie fiction are a major part of our understanding and culture - most people would think of that image when they think of a zombie now. It's the George A. Romero zombie.

Yet in most film/TV zombie fiction people are always completely taken by surprise by the zombie apocalypse. So to get into the series we have to imagine a world completely unaware of a major part of culture...

2. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I freaking love The Walking Dead!! I would have never have thought it of it that way; interesting.

3. CheesyGoose

Well the thing is, that people in the Walking Dead are mostly like adults and such. I believe that before the apocalypse, they didn't really know about zombies, yes. I believe that the zombie culture existed, however, they just didn't pay any attention to it.

Then there's the part where I would say that Glenn and Carl should have known at least something about zombies. Then again, what if they knew, but they were just shocked to see that something like that actually happened.

But yes, there is also the major possibility that zombies weren't really well known or perhaps they just weren't a part of that culture.

4. oh my god I

Oh yeah, thinking about it, that's weird. :slight_smile:

I guess it's funner that way. But it could be cute if someone made something where all the zombie-prepared people faced a zombie apocalypse.

5. Foxface

I am a devotee of zombie culture...certainly no expert per se but here is what I think

We can easily discount films like the 60's NOTLD as the zombie culture wouldn't have been as popular. But when it comes to the Walking Dead or perhps Day of the Dead with Sarah Polly then I think there is another problem.

So consider yourself right now. You've thought a lot about zombie culture but if it actually occurred do you really think you wouldn't be surprised as hell by the revelation and attack? When you consider Rick and the gang from Walking Dead, I doubt it is a constant thought in there mind so I am again not surprised that they are taken aback at the situation

Foxface

6. Zinnia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only zombie apocalypse I've watch where anyone knew about zombies was World War Z, but even then it was only a few people, not everyone. Also, I agree with Foxface that everyone would still be surprised and running around screaming if this really happened, but I also think that some people in zombie apocalypse movies or TV shows seem completely clueless as to what the things are and no one seems to consider zombies even jokingly.

7. CheesyGoose

Yeah, as I said before and as the others mentioned as well, it's probably the shock. The shock that something like that actually happened. I think that most people forget everything and focus on getting out of the danger zone and surviving. Then, when they're safe fora while, they think about who those things were and so on.

8. AAASAS

Zombie culture is made up and really revolves around some very lost idea's by those who practice Voodoo, Santeria or Mucumbi.

The actual "culture" we see today is a creation of Hollywood and really isn't a culture, and is more a fad.

9. Dented

If it helps, the writer of the comic has said that Night Of The Living Dead was never made in The Walking Dead's universe so the whole zombie thing never took off.

Although the characters in Shaun Of The Dead have definitely seen zombie movies and they still manage to end in the same situations a lot of other zombie movie characters do.

10. Stripe101

In the Walking Dead comics they call them zombies. So assume so. Other than that, nothing else comes to mind other than previously mentioned films.

11. Hrantou

I've noticed that a lot of zombie stories tend to avoid the fact that everyone should at least KNOW about them. I think it makes a better story when the zombie apocalypse is totally unexpected, as opposed to the real world where everyone knows what they are and probably has a plan to survive already mapped out in their head :grin:

12. Siarad

What's your plan, Hrantou? :icon_wink

13. Foxface

I know you weren't addressing me, but my best friend and my partner made a plan years ago that is pretty air tight

Basically we travel to North Dakota (where I was stationed in the Air Force) and grab these 2 2.5 ton trucks and go to the store for food and grab my partner. We barricade in the Minuteman III shop...believe me nobody is getting there. The entire area is surrounded by a strong fence and we have a pretty good cache of weapons in MMIII. Once food started to run low we'd make our move to other stores. Fortunately since zombies don't climb well it would be hard for them to reach us in the 2.5 ton truck.

Eventually we'd used the vaults to store our food and supplies...unstoppable!!!

Foxface

14. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well I think if they all knew how to handle zombies.. then it wouldn't be as edgy and serious, it would end up more comedic like Shaun Of the Dead :lol:

15. Foxface

that's a pretty good point

Foxface

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If people in zombie fiction knew about zombies beforehand, there would be no apocalypse. Every nerd and survivalist who heard the news would immediately turn into this:

[​IMG]

A zombie apocalypse would certainly be interesting, but I don't think the zeds would be the biggest problem. :wink:

17. Hrantou

Truthfully I don't really have one. Never gave it much thought. I know everyone likes to talk about how they would survive but in reality, if it ever happened the way it does in movies and shows, hardly any of those people would survive. Sure you can have a plan, but there's too many unexpected variables that come into play that would make survival difficult. That's not to say we would die off. Humanity would survive. We always do.

Bah! I'm rambling. Your question: I would wait a few days in my house to see how the events play out. I have emergency supplies stacked up in my house. Depending on how things turn out, I would go from there. If the world did truly end and zombies out number us, I would strike out on my own (I do better on my own) and head to my grandmas place. She lives in a very small gated community in the middle of the mountains and if anyone survives its her.

This post turned out longer than I thought hahaha. But you get the picture :thumbsup:

18. Given To Fly

I'd be one of the first to die. I just know it.

But I reckon I'd make a good zombie :grin: