1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want an eeepc or similar

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by joshhunt, Jun 5, 2008.

1. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really want an eeepc or something similar to take to school and do all my school work on.

But i dont really know if i do want to go with the eeePC or if there is a better alternative.

In this laptop, it has to have a decent battery life (about 4 hours of class, but i might not be using it for the whole lesson), so it has to last for atleast 3 hours.

It has to be cheep. Im thinking no more than $500AU. Really, thats all i can afford with not having a job and all...

Wi-Fi is a must, dosnt have to have bluetooth (i would prefer it not to so i can save battery), Solid State Storage would be better than a traditional hard drive, and i dont need all the much storage. 4GB should be plently. Remember, all i would be doing is writing up word (sorry, i ment openoffice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) documents.

It would be better if it came with some sort of Linux distro, not Windows. That way it is simplier and cheeper.

The boot-up time should be that great. I would really like something that is less than the eeePC.

Has to have a good keyboard. I have used the 7" eeePC ages ago and i could use that fine.

It dosnt have to have a huge monitor. I uswed the 7" eeePC ages ago and that was perfect. But really, as long as it dosnt add to the cost, the bigger, the better

Wow, thats a lot of points. Anyway, umm... yeah!

2. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw one "in the flesh" for the first time a couple months ago. It's tiny! I'm tempted to buy one but I already have a full fledged laptop and it would just encourage me to bring it to class which would be a detriment to my education. I also handled a Mac Air for the first time recently. So light! I also saw someone in my class store one in a bubble wrapped shipping envelope :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you want cheap, consider looking used. 4 years ago I bought a used laptop for under $50. It runs Win98 fairly well and it can run Win2000. None of the mainstreams distros support it, and I haven't been able to get Damn Small Linux to work on it. No onboard wireless (or even ethernet) but cards are cheap to come by. I can't look at rich websites, but it's good for reading reference PDF's, streaming music, doing simple word processing, and light web browsing. I can also get it to remote desktop or VNC back to my home machine to run richer applications. In standby it burns virtually no power (in standby for all night and it doesn't even drop 1%) and will wake up within a few seconds. I still get 1.5 hours heavy usage, 3 hours light usage out of the battery, which is amazing for the age (12 years).

I amaze people when in class it opens the class notes PDF MUCH faster than the prof's newer PC. I can also say I have honestly gotten more comments about my laptop than I have ever seen all other laptop user combined. Part of it is the CD-ROM drive. It has the most amazing CD-ROM drive I have ever seen in the history of man kind.
    Here's a video of it (NOT MY VIDEO)
    [YOUTUBE]7DOUJkr_2hg[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sure for under $100 you could find a used PIII class laptop.

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, and I just upgraded the hard drive from 800MB to 4GB, so the hard drive is as good as the Eee PC:lol:

4. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... its not really what im looking for.

Last term i used the 7inch eeePC in class for a day, and i really liked it. I just love how small it is.

The reason i want a sub-laptop is because of the size and weight. It is something i can just drop down into my bag or take around with me everywhere. Honestly, it is smaller and lighter than the textbooks, and i can put an electronic version of my text book onto it which would like be so much better than lugging around multiple text books, as well as my school books that i would do my writing in.

5. Poring

I dont even know if there are any other EeePC-like laptops out there. Only thing I can think about is the Mac air.

You can get a UMPC which is like a cross of a laptop and a PDA. It runs vista and can do everything a laptop can do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Though those things are quite expensive.

But if I were you, the cheapest, and best ultra-portable laptops would be the [new] EeePC. It comes in both Linux and Windows I believe.

6. darkestknight

The cheapest UMPC could be the EEEPc. Other ones like HP and Kohjinsha are really expensive, but they are faster and lighter. :grin:

7. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm... I think i will just end up going with an eeePC.
    Im definitly not getting a UMPC as they would be horrible for typing on for extended periods.

Now i just need to find some sort of government rebate or subsidation so i don't have to pay for all of it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. darkestknight

Well, the EEEpc is still a good choice then! I bet you'll love it! :slight_smile: