1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on LGBT Representation in Fiction

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AProud, Oct 21, 2013.

1. AProud

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, :help:

I'm currently writing an independent character driven comic in the low fantasy genre and I've created a character who is gay and another who is bi. Now, I do understand that that's not the defining characteristic of who we are. That's pretty obvious. Duh.
    But, I have the absolute honor of having creative freedom of what I do with these characters and I was just wondering what do you guys think an accurate representation of an LGBTQ person is?
    or more like what would you like to see more in media regarding the representation of LGBTQ persons?

Ultimately, I want to write a person who is, you know, a person first then whatever else second but I'm having a hard time knowing what to include. The whole thing isn't going to be centered on the fact that these characters are gay or bi, nor is being gay or bi essential in the overall plot but it's character driven and although they have their own goals and their own plans about their life, I would still like to let people understand that gay people exist and are still people. The two characters get together in the end. Kind of. Can't give anything away but there's a romantic subplot that's important to them as characters but not to like per say, saving the kingdom or whatever. It's important because going through that made them learn things about themselves and the experience changed them but I don't want to make it so that it's like they are defined by it.

BLEH. THIS IS SO HARD. I JUST DON'T WANT TO MESS THIS UP. :bang:
    Do you guys have any stories about coming out to someone you like? especially if you were unsure of their orientation? Do you guys have any stories that you think might help? Anything is welcome. I really want to get this characterization part right and I am going to spend as much time as I need to do it.

Thanks,
    AProud