1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Beyond the Candelabra" (Liberace) - see it? what did you think?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tightrope, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sitting there in the hotel one night, ready to go to sleep, and am flipping through channels.

I see an actor who appeared familiar, but disguised, in bed with Matt Damon. WTF. I realized it was Michael Douglas and that it was the movie about Liberace's life.

First, Michael Douglas is a good actor, but I couldn't believe how much he was able to morph to handle this unusual role. Second, Liberace's decadence and self-indulgence was really out there. It definitely painted him as a person who was not likable. There was a scene where he walks through his grand home and picks up a couple of dog turds with a napkin (from all the lap dogs that roamed the place) as if it was nothing.

I think Matt Damon, who I'm indifferent to, did a good job playing Scott Thorson, though I don't know if he was much like the real Scott Thorson. What Scott Thorson looked like doesn't come to mind right now.

I won't give any details, but his decline and death in the film are not prolonged. They are handled rather quickly.

I can say that the film is an eye-opener throughout. I knew nothing of Liberace other than about his crazy pianos and crazy costumes. The acting was good. I'm glad I saw it (piped in to my hotel room free of charge) but it can leave a person out of sorts because of the excesses. It was released through HBO. For some reason, no major studio wanted to take it on. If anybody has any ideas as to what that was all about, please share what you think.

2. biggayguy

I wish I had seen that movie. Michael Douglas was pretty funny as a gay under cover cop on Will & Grace. He has a nice a$$. After I watch the Liberace film I'll come back and comment.

3. blueberrymuffin

Yeah i just saw this first time. Should have been in the theaters and was in the less homophobic UK, but studios here would not distribute. If you consider the rating system here, anything gay-related gets R. The studios here figured it would have very limited audience (basically no one hetero would go see it). There's some interview i saw with the actors and director and they say that the studios said it was "too gay."

Terrific performance by Douglas especially. I didn't know he was even alive still. The Liberace character had his moments of caring. It's hard to not get caught up in self-obsession with that level of fame. If you ask me, Scott was less endearing. He didn't do much that wasn't self-serving. Still, it seemed like genuine love and i enjoyed it.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting thought. "Brokeback Mountain," which I believe was rated R, did well at the box office, and it was gay themed. I saw a lot of elderly married couples and young girls at that particular afternoon matinee.

I wonder if that was because it dealt with cowboys. In a way, I think this might have garnered interest because one got to look into the life of excess of a celebrity. I don't care about Liberace or his music, but he was controversial. Also, in the movie, I noticed this one guy who sort of had a minor role strutting around with his shirt off and was a friend of theirs - Bob. When they rolled the credits, it turned out it was Scott Bakula. Holy smokes.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I read, it was originally produced by a studio for theatrical distribution, but was deemed to be "too gay." Sat on the shelf for a year or two, then HBO bought the rights.

I found it sad and a bit creepy. Apparently it was a fairly accurate portrayal of Liberace's llfe, though.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I forgot to mention the plastic surgeon, played by Rob Lowe, who I have always found annoying, and who played a particularly annoying character. If that's how he conducted business, he was not that professional in my opinion. And that hair ... just wow.

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The plastic surgeon was apparently true-to-life a creep who eventually blew his brains out with a pistol. Sadly, there are plenty of Beverly Hills plastic surgeons who are probably pretty similar to him.

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched it three times the night it premiered. HBO original movies have a habit of making me do that. I remember watching their version of Grey Gardens dozens of times within the month of its debut.

I thought the film told its story quite well. Debbie Reynolds as his mother was just magnificent. I wasn't much of a Liberace fan before the movie, and it didn't make me into one, but I did enjoy it for what it was.

In a way I felt almost sorry for Lee. His life was so different from his glittery persona. And I think all he really wanted, as anyone does, was just to be loved.

To me, Scott's portrayal seemed more victimized than his actual story. Having seen him on The View promoting the film, I got a totally different vibe from him than Matt Damon's portrayal.

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scott is such a broken person from what I've seen (grew up in foster care, history of sexual abuse, struggled with his sexuality, long-term history of drug abuse and time in jail) that it's really hard to know what's true or not true about him.

I know that in the book on which the movie is based, he claimed that he had a long affair with Michael Jackson, but someone did some research on the claimed time periods at which he met Michael, when he was on tour with Liberace, and neither Liberace nor Michael Jackson were in the places they supposedly met anywhere near at the same time.

He also made some other ridiculous claims for which no one could find any corroborating evidence. But most of the Liberace stuff was verified by others who worked with Liberace, and the producer apparently spent a lot of time vetting the script, so it is probably reasonably accurate.

10. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Interestingly enough, nothing is ever "too lesbian". Girls kissing and having sex will draw in the straight crowd, especially straight men. Which is why movies like the French lesbian movie will continue to get made, while gay movies will always be labeled "too gay", and struggle to get funding. It's just your typical double standard. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of seeing lesbian characters being able to kiss and have sex on tv, while gay kissing is censored.

Anyway... back to the movie, it was good. It definitely deserved all the awards it got. Excellent performances by Matt Damon and Michael Douglas too.

11. blueberrymuffin

Yeah, in the interview they mention Brokeback and Matt Damon said it had cowboys lol. American audiences can be so shallow, or that's what the studios think anyway.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also heard him speak in an interview. Scott is not a likable person. The movie made him out to be more likable than he really might be.

Another thing that was weird was that Liberace said "I'm free" when his mother died. Were his puppet strings that pulled by her? Also, we do not see any of his siblings, other than know that some exist. I seriously don't know how the public could presume he could have been heterosexual for as long as it did.

Also, I erred in that this thread should say "Behind the Candelabra" instead of "Beyond the Candelabra." I can't relate either to cowboys or to pianists, but I liked this movie more than "Brokeback Mountain" because it was more urban and more recent in its time frame.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to see this. I went to the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas once, when it was still there, while going to a Pinball convention, and it was fairly interesting. He was certainly a curious figure, and a time when gay men didn't really exist in the media. A bit flamboyant, but then so was/is Elton John! And David Bowie...and many others.

14. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thought it was OK, but overall it was a derivative biopic that didn't really do anything special. Found it impressive how they made 40-year-old Damon look believable as a 20 something' twink.

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2013 at 02:16 PM ----------

Any plastic surgeon who recommends "corrective surgery" to people who are not seriously disfigured is a creep. These jerks prey on people's insecurities.

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree. I once got an email press release from some publicist in Beverly Hills, advocating and promoting breast enlargement for teen girls on behalf of some plastic surgeon. I sent the publicist a scathing, blistering response and asked her how she could sleep at night, contributing to people's shame and singlehandedly encouraging beautiful teen girls to think of themselves as less than ideal.

She never responded, but she dropped that plastic surgeon as a client soon after. I don't know if the two things were related.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Michael Douglas is picking up his Golden Globe as I type.

17. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    One of the least surprising wins of the night.

18. Mzansi

The film made me quite uncomfortable,
    As it showcased the worst stereotypes of being gay to me,
    I was frankly quite irked by it.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the shallowness and excess made me uncomfortable. It's more of a case study of what happens to someone when they can command anything at the snap of a finger more so than it is about gay stereotypes, at least to me. Looking at this another way, Rock Hudson succumbed to AIDS at about the same time and, except for the private life he kept separate, he did not conform to the stereotypes. Instead, this movie painted an ugly side of the entertainment world more so than it painted a picture of everyday gay and bi men.