1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Book Club-November

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GirlWhoWaited, Oct 29, 2013.

1. GirlWhoWaited

Hey, everybody! I hope you've enjoyed this month's book, if you chose to read it. I got to thinking, and thought it would be a good idea to get the poll going for next month's book a little early, if people are still interested. If you are, leave some suggestions below. :slight_smile: Here's mine.
    If You Could Be Mine by Sarah Farizan

"Seventeen-year-old Sahar has been in love with her best friend, Nasrin, since they were six. They’ve shared stolen kisses and romantic promises. But Iran is a dangerous place for two girls in love—Sahar and Nasrin could be beaten, imprisoned, even executed if their relationship came to light.

So they carry on in secret—until Nasrin’s parents announce that they’ve arranged for her marriage. Nasrin tries to persuade Sahar that they can go on as they have been, only now with new comforts provided by the decent, well-to-do doctor Nasrin will marry. But Sahar dreams of loving Nasrin exclusively—and openly.

Then Sahar discovers what seems like the perfect solution. In Iran, homosexuality may be a crime, but to be a man trapped in a woman’s body is seen as nature’s mistake, and sex reassignment is legal and accessible. As a man, Sahar could be the one to marry Nasrin. Sahar will never be able to love the one she wants, in the body she wants to be loved in, without risking her life. Is saving her love worth sacrificing her true self?"

2. DrkRayne

Omg i want to read!!!!!!!!!

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Book club, eh? I'm sure I can add something a bit closer to the top of my reading list...

4. Zyanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That sounds like a very interesting read!

5. GirlWhoWaited

We'd love to have you. :slight_smile: We're reading "Will Grayson, Will Grayson" until Nov. 6th or so. Once we have a few more suggestions, I'll put up a poll for November. :slight_smile:

6. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    here's mine:
    Chase in Shadow by Amy Lane -

Chase Summers: Golden boy. Beautiful girlfriend, good friends, and a promising future.

Nobody knows the real Chase.

Chase Summers has a razor blade to his wrist and the smell of his lover’s goodbye clinging to his skin. He has a door in his heart so frightening he’d rather die than open it, and the lies he’s used to block it shut are thinning with every forbidden touch. Chase has spent his entire life unraveling, and his decision to set his sexuality free in secret has only torn his mind apart faster.

Chase has one chance for true love and salvation. He may have met Tommy Halloran in the world of gay-for-pay—where the number of lovers doesn’t matter as long as the come-shot’s good—but if he wants the healing that Tommy’s love has to offer, he’ll need the courage to leave the shadows for the sunlight. That may be too much to ask from a man who’s spent his entire life hiding his true self. Chase knows all too well that the only things thriving in a heart’s darkness are the bitter personal demons that love to watch us bleed.

7. biggayguy

I'm reading:
    BTW I Love You

When Aidan logs onto the Internet one night during winter break, he hardly expects to meet tall, dark, and handsome Jake - let alone discover over the course of their chats and emails that Jake may actually be...well...pretty much perfect. However, with Jake studying abroad 8,000 miles away, Aidan soon finds himself struggling with the intense feelings that he's developed for a man he's never actually met.

With an ocean between them and all of the doubts and questions that come with the distance, will their relationship ever find wings? And when they finally meet in person, can their online romance become an IRL happily ever after?

8. Silver Sparrow

Miseducation of Cameron Post

9. GirlWhoWaited

Looks interesting. :slight_smile: I'll make sure it goes up on the poll.

10. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who's the author?

11. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hm, I've never been part of a book club. Might be fun.

Here are some November suggestions from me:

Seeing by Jose Saramago

On election day in the capital, it is raining so hard that no one has bothered to come out to vote. The politicians are growing jittery. Should they reschedule the elections for another day? Around three o’clock, the rain finally stops. Promptly at four, voters rush to the polling stations, as if they had been ordered to appear.
    But when the ballots are counted, more than 70 percent are blank. The citizens are rebellious. A state of emergency is declared. But are the authorities acting too precipitously? Or even blindly? The word evokes terrible memories of the plague of blindness that hit the city four years before, and of the one woman who kept her sight. Could she be behind the blank ballots? A police superintendent is put on the case.
    What begins as a satire on governments and the sometimes dubious efficacy of the democratic system turns into something far more sinister. A singular novel from the author of Blindness.

Seriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres

I've experienced a lot the last few years and I have a lot to share. So I hope that you'll take a moment to sit back, relax and enjoy the words I've put together for you in this book. I think you'll find I've left no stone unturned, no door unopened, no window unbroken, no rug unvacuumed, no ivories untickled. What I'm saying is, let us begin, shall we?

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

Eyes mark the shape of the city

The midnight hour approaches in an almost-empty diner. Mari sips her coffee and reads a book, but soon her solitude is disturbed: a girl has been beaten up at the Alphaville hotel, and needs Mari's help.

Meanwhile Mari's beautiful sister Eri lies in a deep, heavy sleep that is 'too perfect, too pure' to be normal; it has lasted for two months. But tonight as the digital clock displays 00:00, a hint of life flickers across the television screen, even though it's plug has been pulled out.

Strange nocturnal happenings, or a trick of the night?

12. natashaholme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Next lesbian book on my reading list is The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith, a lesbian classic published in 1952:

"The riveting story of Therese Belivet, a stage designer trapped in a department-store day job, whose salvation arrives one day in the form of Carol Aird, an alluring suburban housewife in the throes of a divorce. They fall in love and set out across the United States, pursued by a private investigator who eventually blackmails Carol into a choice between her daughter and her lover."

13. Sitri

Ugh, I want to read! I can't read more than one book at a time or I end up finishing neither. Right now I am reading Le Morte D'Arthur. That will take a long time. Probably until Christmas.

14. GirlWhoWaited

Ooh. That's been on my list for ages. :slight_smile:

15. GirlWhoWaited

I'll be putting the poll up tonight or tomorrow with the new suggestions, so keep an eye out for that, everyone. :slight_smile:

16. Miss Loopy

Oh wow, that book you suggested sounds fantastic.

17. GirlWhoWaited

Thanks. I thought it looked really interesting. It's really short, too, which might be good with holidays/exams coming up. :slight_smile: