1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on re-reading books?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sully, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Sully

I've never read through a book more than once! I'm a chronic movie re-watcher but I've just never got round to books.

I've been wanting to go through the Harry Potter series again, and maybe the Eragon books. I always think though, if I'm going to read, why not read something I haven't already read!

Thoughts? Opinion?

2. Thedistra

I recently reread the Harry potter books, I was surprised at how much I forgot that isn't in the movies. I say go for it.

If you enjoyed them the first time, you'll enjoy them the 2nd time as well.

#2 Thedistra, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. biggayguy

I've read through LoTR twelve times. It's like visiting an old friend. Some books are like that. Most books once is enough. I've read through Harry Potter a few times. Maybe I'll go through the Eragon books again. It's different after you've seen the movie.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HP series is the only one I've re-read.

5. Emulator

I re-read books all the time when the closest book I pick up is an old one...it's quite entertaining. While the experience is not the same as reading it the first time round, there are new meanings to the text.

6. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I reread books more often than I read new ones -
    The first time I read a book, I'm reading to find out what happens next.
    The second and third and fourth etc. time I read a book, I'm reading to experience the world that the author created. If the writing is good enough, there's no limit to how many times I will want to re-experience it.

And to answer your question about Harry Potter - I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. I've read all of the books multiple times, and I would definitely recommend that you read them again.

7. Sully

That's another one I've been meaning to do!!!! After exams are done I think I'll start on LoTR!

8. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I re-read books when their really good and I haven't read them in a while. I do the same with movies and shows.

9. Grimm

I feel exactly the same way. I've lost count of how many times I've read through the Ender's Game series and Tuesdays with Morrie. Same with LotR, but it definitely hasn't been twelve. Yet. :icon_wink

10. biggayguy

I read LoTR the first time in high school. That means I've had thirty two years to re-read it. You know you're a Tolkien fanatic if you make it through the Silmarillion and some of Christopher's books.

11. Gen

Gen

I loved reading mysteries and thrillers from a very young age and almost exclusively sought for them throughout elementary and middle school, so in the spirit of the genre, I grew a habit for paying close attention to everything I read in hopes that I could solve the mysteries before the novel reached its end. Combined with the fact that I was a chronic bookworm, I gained an extreme knack for reading comprehension. I usually remember every nook and cranny of the works I read.

Unfortunately, though, because I really want to reread old favorites. On the topic of Harry Potter, I can reread them through book 3 and book 7. The one quarrel I have with that series is that I have never been a fan of side plots that don't directly cycle back to the main plot and books 4,5, and 6 are littered with them. Not that those are specifically bad; just out of personal preference.

12. Jonathan

I reread books all the time. Actually, I probably reread books now more often that I actually read new ones. Even though I already know the story and what is going to happen, I still find it to be incredibly relaxing and an enjoyable experience.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've all been talking about fiction, which I rarely read, but I have reread several fiction books that were particularly good.

As far as nonfiction (about 95% of my reading, probably), I've probably read Brené Brown's 3 books at least 3 times each, and quite a number of others. I find that while some of the material I've already got and remembered, there's always something new I pick up, or something that I take away in a different way.

I don't think one can ever read too much :slight_smile:

14. greendaisy

I didn't used to like rereading books, but I have a few favorites I can read over and over, such as tha Molly Moon series and Harry Potter (I've read it more than eight times).

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I reread books It's like visiting an old friend

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I only reread books if the book in question is really good.

17. lukeluvznicki13

If they are series of books that i really enjoy then I reread them.
    Like I have reread the Harry Potter series 3 times.

18. purplekitty

Like many of the above posts, I re-read books more often than I read new ones. The first time I read a book, I feel like I'm riding along with the emotions and the action. While this also happens on my re-reads, I also think it's fun to find world building details and foreshadowing that I didn't notice before. I usually re-read books based on my mood. It's kind of like a way of venting my feelings by living them through a book. Of course, sometimes I re-read a book just because it's my favorite series and it's been a few months since I read it. Or I do it because I just feel like fangirling over one of my favorite characters. Really, the list of reasons just goes on and on.

19. castle walls

I like re-reading books that I really enjoy. I don't know how many times I've read The Picture of Dorian Gray. When you read a book for the 2nd or 3rd and so on time, you may pick up things that you didn't notice previously or you may found a great part of the book that you forgot about. When I get some more free time, I hope to read the entire Harry Potter series again and, of course, read The Picture of Dorian Gray once more

20. Siarad

There are certain books I read/listen to over and over again.

I have read Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman a lot of times because I find it so clever and witty. I don't know if it counts as 'reading' but I listen to a Terry Pratchett audio book of some kind pretty much every night to get to sleep. I know them all off by heart so it doesn't matter if I fall asleep in the middle of them.

I also have children's books from when I was younger that I often re-read if I really do just want to stave off boredom (good on night shifts towards the end of the shift when I'm too tired to really pay much attention to what I'm reading) - Memoirs of a Dangerous Alien, Abominable [Robert Swindells].

For 'serious' books I've re-read for my own purposes - His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman and Trumpet by Jackie Kay.

When I was a mainstream teacher I re-read books I read as a child with classes and that can be a really nerve-wracking experience. I read Skellig with a Year 7 class, feeling the book to be as magical and special as I found it the first time and I was just hoping that I could do the book justice in conveying it to a group of cynical twenty-first century 11 year olds.