1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neofolk, anyone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Owen, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm not one for straight-up folk music, but a lot of the more abstract, atmospheric folksy stuff put out by bands in recent years has been a real joy to listen to. Anyone else a fan? Anyone know of any other artists/music that remind them of it? Here are some examples:

[YOUTUBE]yrWT-cYO_rs[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]Eihs8V6Qcmc[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]FDakWq7aVx8[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]EfnmkkOTRSs[/YOUTUBE]
    The music doesn't kick in on this one until 55 seconds in:
    [YOUTUBE]OsbfIooztWI[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]-SGx1YqGhro[/YOUTUBE]
    One of the problems I'm having with finding stuff like this is that a lot of these songs are flukes in their band's discography. With the exception of Nest, every one of the bands that made the above songs is usually a metal band (which is how I got into this stuff in the first place). It's hard to find bands that stick to this style consistently, which is a shame, because it's beautiful stuff.

2. AAASAS

Folk denotes cultural music basically of any given culture.

I like some Turbofolk which can be considered neofolk, but it is Balkan folk music, I also like neo-hispanic folk music.

[youtube]60DkptmEgPc[/youtube]
    [youtube]MUSo27xkjU8[/youtube]
    [youtube]Tc0-2w1JXOA[/youtube]
    [youtube]LxTUxLgyYcY[/youtube]

3. GirlWhoWaited

I usually go for stuff that isn't purely instrumental, but Nightwish has a few folk-inspired songs. "Over the Hills and Far Away" is a personal favorite. :slight_smile: It has lyrics, but it's a good one.

4. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I like Death in June, Sol Invictus, Fire + Ice and Rome (which doesn't exactly fit into the category, but is still not martial industrial).