1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any good books about gay teens?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Andstillimhere7, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm interested in reading a book about gay teens, does anyone know about a good one? Make sure it involves teen years, coming of age, teenagers, and/or also conveys a strong theme. List any please. Add a short summary.

2. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've read several but one that always comes to my mind is Keeping You a Secret by Julie Ann Peters.
    The actual summary put on the back of the book.
    Expectations. A girl meets a guy, falls in love, gets married, has sex, not necessarily in that order. Holland Jaeger is living up to the expectations. But when she meets Cece, the course of her life is changed forever. She falls in love with this girl—this out-and-proud lesbian. Holland's awakening to her own sexuality is the key to setting her free. Can Holland trust that the people she counts on most in her life will accept and embrace her newfound identity? Keeping their relationship a secret may prove to be the worst mistake Holland and Cece could ever make.

There was another one. I can't remember the name because it's been so long but I at about this guy who is I guess you would say average high school student. He deals with issues of being gay and in the closet, being in love but hiding it, and the fact that person he is love with is the high schools most popular jock who also happens to be gay and in the closet. I'll look it up and once I remember or find it I'll post it.

3. LD579

If you'd like, I can PM you a list of good books that are nice and appropriate for a 13+/teen/under-18 audience with LGBT main characters, as well as with summaries and my general thoughts on them.

Some books just don't meet my standards, honestly, so my list may be more selective than most others' lists.

4. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Geography Club is really good. It's cute, funny, realistic.. everything you'd want from a coming of age book.

5. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The whole series of the Geography Club is really good. Most of Brent Hartinger's teen books are LGBT-related.

6. Siarad

We just read 'The Boys on the Rock' for our book group. I'm not sure that I would say it's good but it's... interesting.

7. biggayguy

BTW I Love You by Nico Jaye seems pretty good. I'm on the third chapter. So far the main character was tricked by a friend to meet an imaginary date and ended up in an adult book store. He missed out on a concert but something good happened on the way home.

8. GirlWhoWaited

We just started up an LGBT book club right here on EC if you'd like to join us. We're just finishing up Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. I enjoyed it, and it seems like it would fit your bill. :wink:

9. SilverMist111

Ooh, cool. How can I join?

But well, the only book that I read with an LGBT character that I actually enjoyed was the House of Hades, but it wasn't the point of the book. **shrugs** I still love it. :slight_smile:

There is this one blog that I read that reviews a ton of books though, and the writer of it is a lesbian teen, and she does like LGBT related books, and I've enjoyed some of her other recommendations, so I'd say it is safe that her LGBT recs are good... can I post the url here? or is that against any rules?

10. GirlWhoWaited

I THINK it's generally ok to post links to other sites as long as there is no identifiable stuff about you or way of contacting you offsite. It's always good to check with the mods though.

As far as book club goes, just jump in. :slight_smile: I post threads here in Entertainment and Media. Right now, we're taking rec's for the November book. Within a few days, I'll put up a poll. Vote for your favorite, and wait for the winner. Then it's just read and discuss. The first discussion (WG,WG) opens Nov. 6. :slight_smile: Hope you'll check it out. :thumbsup:

11. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    OMG the house of hades has an lgbtq charecter in it!!!!!!!!!! WOW now im actually going to read it (I love the series but I thought I was getting a bit old)

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Boy Meets Boy (2003) by David Levithan
    Two Boys Kissing (2013) by David Levithan

Rainbow Boys (2001) by Alex Sanchez
    Rainbow High (2003) by Alex Sanchez
    Rainbow Road (2005) by Alex Sanchez

Just some personal recommendations to start you off on the path toward the wonders of queer fiction....:icon_wink

13. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I also read rainbow road, etc. while I was going through an intresting period of time while i thought that straight love stories would turn me straight and therefore refused to read them

14. dayday4

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Gemini Bites is one of my favourites (Judy and Kyle Renneker are sixteen-year-old fraternal twins in a rambling family of nine. They have a prickly history with each other and are, at least from Judy's perspective, constantly in fierce competition. Kyle has recently come out of the closet to his family and feels he might never know what it's like to date a guy. Judy, who has a history of pretending to be something she isn't in order to get what she wants, is pretending to be born-again in order to land a boyfriend who heads his own bible study)

Also Will Grayson Will Grayson is pretty good (One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.)
    ]

15. sysreq

EXACTLY my dear watson.

16. Silver Sparrow

The Miseducation of Cameron Post