1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ender's Game

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Beware Of You, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So there is this movie out based on a book written by a deeply homophobic man (LDS member, on the National Association for Marriage) and even the book has real homophobic stuff, one of the alien races is called "the buggers".

People are boycotting this movie, what do you think about it?

2. Case

Currently DE. Also, FL, NV, AL and California!
    Even though he's homophobic I still like his work as an author. His writing in the book Ender's Game was amazing. I'm looking forward to the movie. I don't want to judge his work as bad just because the author's personality. In the end its good work.

3. Hexagon

As I advised in the other thread, just don't pay for it. Watch it all you like.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to disassociate his political views from his writing. He's a piece of shit human being, but he's a POS who knows how to write a good book. I'll probably wait until I can get the movie on Netflix or something, though, because Catching Fire is my #1 priority in movies right now. :grin:

5. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Orson Scott Card will never be getting any of my money. I started reading the book once before, before I know what he was like and it made me feel slightly ill to have the book in my possession. Luckily I'd only borrowed it so I don't put any money towards him. I'm not gonna go and so his work is shit, because I don't know. I never finished it. However, I'm not ever gonna delve into it. It makes me feel sick.

6. AKTodd

My partner and I aren't going to see it. I read the book(s) - there's actually a whole series - when I was in HS. Didn't know about the author's views at the time.

The buggers bit is actually one of those British English/American English things. The aliens in question are giant insects, aka 'bugs' therefore 'buggers'. It's sort of like how so many British people here point out that 'faggot' means a cigarette in England and so isn't all that insulting to them.

Todd

7. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You'll be amazed at how many self-professed homophobes love Judas Priest. :slight_smile:

Sometimes, you have to separate a beautiful product from the ugly conduit it came through to reach us in reality.

8. Hexagon

Actually, its fag that means cigarette :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: faggot isn't in general use.

9. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    The entire concept of the book seems idiotic and (as expected) the movie is receiving poor reviews. I wouldn't be going to see it even if OSC was the most gay friendly person in the world. A shame that the book's sales will increase as a result of the movie (even if the movie does poor business), because that means even more money for OSC (and more people reading crap, which is unfortunate, as too many people have wasted their time and money on Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey already).

10. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Ender series is fantastically written literature and I love them all (Though the newer entries and parts of the Ender's Shadow side series are rather ehhhhh) so I will be seeing the movie.

11. GirlWhoWaited

I won't be seeing it. Since I haven't read the books, I figure I have no reason to get involved with something that makes me feel like I'm sacrificing personal morality. It doesn't look all that interesting to me anyway. :slight_smile:

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks like generic sci-fi to me, really. Nothing at all to distinguish it except that I like Asa Butterfield and Harrison Ford. I'd probably want to see it because Ender's Game was a highly acclaimed book, but knowing that OSC is a terrible person, I'm not going to encourage him.

13. Grimm

The Ender series is an amazing work of art, and frankly I feel sorry for anyone whose enjoyment of them was ruined by the fact that Orson Scott Card is the scum of the Earth. The novels have nothing in them that express his views and I highly doubt the movie will either. The only thing I'm concerned about is the movie compromising the books like so many book-based movies do.

14. El Extranjero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I won't be seeing this movie. Not because the book's author is wildly homophobic, though that doesn't help, but because I've seen the trailer and it looks like a steaming pile of bull plop.

15. I'm probably going to go see it. It's a hard decision for me to make, though.

I love Ender's Game. It is a mighty pillar of the science fiction genre. I've read it many times and recommended it to anyone who hasn't read it. The writing is lovely and the many, well-fleshed-out themes are timelessly important.

Orson Scott Card is a bigoted asshole and he was a board member on a well-funded organization that lobbies against marriage rights for queer people in my country. I would feel bad if my money went to something like that, even just a tiny portion of a small amount.

I think, to split the difference, I'll go see the movie and also donate some money to a local LGBT center. If I stopped liking and doing things because they're related to people who hold views I find problematic, I could like and do very few things.

16. biggayguy

I read the Ender books years ago before finding out Card was homophobic. It is a good story regardless that the author is a creep and douchebag. I haven't decided if I'll watch the movie yet. The book is nearly always better than the movie.

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. I've never seen what the big deal about him is. Phillip K. Dick, Stanislaw Lem, Ursula LeGuin, Margaret Atwood and so many others wrote much better sci-fi. I think he's vastly over-rated---more or less cheap pulp.

Plus, his views and the things he puts his money towards are horrid, as is that so-called 'church' he belongs to. Yuck.

18. Sitri

One of my teacher's offered to let me borrow his copy of the book. I must say I am interested but I would feel uncomfortable even touching the creation of man such as Card.

19. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Atwood is a talked about as a candidate for the Nobel Prize in Literature every year. She definitely transcends the genre.

20. Beware Of You

Technically that would be a bundle of cigs