1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a part in a play - Loving/playful gestures with a man?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Siarad, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Siarad

I am playing a character in a play who, in the first scene, has got a loving/teasing relationship with her current boyfriend. At the end of the scene, they have to kiss then they have to keep the lovey-dovey stuff up for quite a long time while another character makes a sarcastic comment. The directors have asked us to do the kiss then do 'loving/playful' gestures with each other while the other character's talking. The kiss was easy enough but I don't think either of us had a clue what 'loving/playful' gestures meant. All my relationships have been awkward relationships with men I didn't actually fancy because I was/am secretly gay and though he is a straight man I get the impression he is quite a straight-laced chap and that the kind of teasing gestures the directors are indicating are not really his thing.

Anybody have any ideas what kind of gestures/actions we could incorporate? (Bearing in mind the scene is set in a restaurant so they would have to be things people would do in public!)

2. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Constantly fiddle with bits of his attire.

Pull bits of imaginary fluff of his hair.
    If he's wearing a tie - straighten it. That's a particularly good one.

Look into his eyes like at any second, his face will actually puke pure gold-encrusted pearls upon you. When you're not looking into his eyes, look him up and down in an admiring fashion.

Giggle a lot. Instead of kissing all the time, rub noses together.

When you're that 'in love' your partner is the best thing since sliced bread. They are literally without fault. Try to imagine and get into that mindset.

During school we did a Miller's A View From The Bridge. I played the main character. It was difficult because my part needed me to kiss a boy full on on the lips. I just had to act in the same way that I was kissing someone I found genuinely attractive.

Break a leg! :slight_smile:

3. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pretend the guy is a woman. Maybe that will work.

4. Siarad

That is a brilliant description of a loving gesture - I really have to remember that one!

Thanks, we'll probably get there - the other day was our first rehearsal of it since I've just changed part and we were rehearsing in an actual restaurant so hopefully given time we'll get there.

Adi - Good thinking but I've never had that kind of relationship with a woman either, sadly!

5. GirlWhoWaited

Get to know each other on a friendly level, if you can. At least to the point that you're completely comfortable invading each other's space. Do you mind me asking which play it is? Different time periods call for different mannerisms. :slight_smile:

6. Siarad

It's a play called Seven Menus - it was written and set in 1994 originally. It is all set in one restaurant where the couples change around with each new scene - so my character, 'Ruth', is with 'Jack' in scene one, at dinner with 'Hazel' and 'Paul', then scene two is Ruth, Barry, Hazel, Paul, scene three is Ruth, Barry, Paul, Dawn and so on. It plays on the way that the characters change and how they behave differently in relationships with different people. Ruth doesn't really have the same sort of relationship with Barry as with Jack, so it doesn't require the same sort of acting.

In the third scene I just have to be a mean, sarcastic bitch and I am doing brilliantly with that scene!

#6 Siarad, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  7. Silver Sparrow

Rub noses, push lightly on or tap your scene partners nose. Come up with something that matches the relationship the charadcters have. And getting close to your scene partner will really help.

8. GirlWhoWaited

That's good. At least you don't have to relearn how to move or anything. :slight_smile: Just try to find something natural to use. If he has soft hair, play with it. It'll be more natural if you can find something you like (at least to some extent). :thumbsup:

9. Siarad

The directors suggested that - I almost knocked it off! He insisted it didn't hurt though! :eusa_doh: