1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artpop Review

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Williamtheloner, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Williamtheloner

If you didn't already know, Artpop was leaked a few days ago (in full HQ) but I wanted to wait till the 11th so that it would be fair but I couldn't resist lol B) I downloaded and gave the whole album a full listen today. I wanted it to be good because I like Gaga (even though I'm non stereotypical) and her past few albums were amazing especially BTW. I loved every single song on BTW (except for Judas and Bad Kids) However, after listening to the album I think that Artpop is by far her weakest album. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as the previous 3. However, this is just MY opinion though, you guys might have different opinions after listening to the album yourself. I'm gonna write my track by track review but forgive me if I don't sound like a professional critic. I'm still a high schooler lol :grin:

1. Aura - nice beat, I love the psychedelic feeling of the song. Kudos to Infected Mushroom for producing the track. I actually loved the song until I found out that the lyrics were talking about sexualizing Muslim women. :confused: Rating: 7.5/10

2. Venus: I don't understand why Gaga would want to choose this this as the second single. It's not bad but it is far from good. It's catchy and has potential but it lacks that special oomph that would make it a top 10 hit single. The bit before the last chorus was stupid and for some reason I keep hearing "take me to your penis". Lol Rating: 5.5/10

3. G.U.Y: This may be a good choice for a possible future single, it's quite catchy. Zedd's production was the highlight of this song. Rating: 8/10

4. Sex Dreams: NASTY LYRICS. Nice beat, nice song, doesn't wow me though. Rating: 7/10

5. Jewels and Drugs: This sounds like every other hip hop song you hear on urban radio, nothing special in it. With 3 rappers featured in this song, they almost outshined Gaga. Also, her voice here reminds me of Miley Cyrus's from "Twerk". I prefer Dark Horse by Katy Perry more than this. Gaga+Hip Hop=fail. Rating: 5/10

6. Manicure: Catchy rock song, but I think it's bland. Rating: 6/10

7. Do What You Want: One of my favorites from the album. Nuff said. Rating: 9/10

8. Artpop: I don't understand why some critics think that this is a standout track from the album. I personally think that it's mediocre, and it doesn't live up to its name. Rating: 6/10

9. Swine: There is way too much going on in this song and she is trying way too hard. There is too much techno and hard beats and for a moment I thought I was listening to a Tiesto song or a remix. I don't really like the lyrics either. The "door creaking" before the bass drops is annoying too. It's my pick for worst track of the album. Rating: 4.5/10

10. Donatella: Nice beat, but too similar to dance songs on the charts. Her impersonations are cheesy as well. Rating: 6/10

11. Fashion: Cool 90's throwback vibe, but meh. Rating: 6/10

12. Mary Jane Holland: I never would've thought that this song is about drugs from the title. Cool lyrics. The production is what makes the song listenable and great. Rating: 8/10

13. Dope: Raw piano ballad that shows off Gaga's voice really well. Her best ballad. Rating: 8.5/10

14. Gypsy: This is the closest thing that Artpop has to a Marry the Night/Edge of Glory esque anthem. The song and her voice sound great, but it's not up to par to the latter. Rating: 7.5/10

15. Applause: Great album closer and choice for lead single, not as strong as her previous lead singles though. Rating: 8.5/10

Overall album rating: 6.9
    Favourite tracks: Do What You Want, Applause, Dope, Guy and MJH.

THERE YOU HAVE IT! :grin: Feel free to post YOUR opinions about the album if you want :slight_smile:

#1 Williamtheloner, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. justjade

Thanks for this. I'm pretty eagerly anticipating this one, and I can't wait to hear it. I've only heard "Applause", but I think it's damn good. After what you said about "Dope", though, I really want to hear it. She has an amazing voice/vocal range. I also love when artists perform unplugged. It's cool to see how different the two versions sound.

Personally, I like her older stuff, like "Bad Romance", so I keep hoping to hear something that cohesively reminds me of that.

3. Williamtheloner

In Artpop I'm afraid you won't. The album is predominantly EDM and there is nothing that's pop anthem-ish enough that will remind you of Bad Romance. Maybe Gypsy will though, I don't know.

4. justjade

Well, let's put it this way: I was kind of disappointed when I heard "Born This Way". I didn't think the lyrics were that good, nor was the tune, but I liked the message. I guess the stuff I like of hers is somewhat darker and heavier.

5. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    So Do What U Want is the best song? Not surprised TBH. She really went downhill after Poker Face.

6. Williamtheloner

Nope i don't think so. BTW imo is so much better than The Fame/Fame Monster

#6 Williamtheloner, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  7. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Respectfully disagree. BTW only had like one listenable song, which was the massively disappointing BTW. Everything else on it was forgettable.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait, who put an album out?

9. Williamtheloner

Ok so I gave the album a second listen today and I must say I enjoyed it more than the first time. Imma give you my updated ratings of each of the songs:

1. Aura - 8/10
    2. Venus- 5/10
    3. Guy- 8.5/10
    4. Sex Dreams-8.5/10
    5. Jewels and Drugs-6/10
    6. Manicure-8/10
    7. Do What You Want-9.5/10
    8. Artpop-5/10
    9. Swine-4/10
    10. Donatella-5/10
    11. Fashion-5/10
    12. MJH-8/10
    13. Dope-9/10
    13. Gypsy-8/10
    14.Applause-9/10

Honestly if Venus, Swine, Artpop, Fashion and Donatella were removed the album would be amazing

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2013 at 06:37 AM ----------

Hmm okay then if it's your opinion.

10. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Lady GaGa. The conversation was about Born This Way. I was saying that every song on it, sans Born This Way, was forgettable.

11. musicrebel

I couldn't resist to wait until the 11th to hear the album as well. I think the album was pretty good overall. However, she seemed like she was trying a bit "too hard" to be experimental. It ended up sounding almost the same as some pop music out there (like MANiCURE sounded bland). I believe if she incorporated other use of sub-genre-esque music into the album instead of full-on electronic dance music, it'd be better. I love Gaga; I've been a fan/monster since 2009. I hope this album does well for her. She's a growing artist and she's capable of doing anything with her music.

12. Jordz

I love it, I like ever song on it. Personally I think it might be my favorite.

13. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

This album is a complete 10/10 for me, her best yet.

14. All41

I'd say
    Aura: 9/10
    Venus: 6/10
    G.U.Y.: 4.5/10
    Sexxx Dreams: 5.5/10
    Jewels N Drugs: 4/10
    MANiCURE: 8/10
    Do What U Want: 10/10
    ARTPOP: 10/10 (her best song in my opinion)
    Swine: 6/10
    Donatella: 6/10
    Fashion!: 8/10
    Mary Jane Holland: 5.5/10
    Dope: 7/10
    Gypsy: 4.5/10
    Applause: 7/10

15. Xochipilli

I feel like Gaga tries too hard. It's a decent album though.
    I really like Swine, Aura and Sexxx Dreams!

16. ScottishLad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aura - 9/10 - Love it.
    Venus - 7/10 - After seeing her perform it live on X-factor I couldn't (and still can't) get it out of my head, but I don't really like the lyrics.
    G.U.Y - 6/10 - I like it but I don't hesitate to skip past it.
    Sexxx Dreams - 8/10 - This song actually turns me on o_o...
    Jewels N' Drugs - 5/10 - Feels like it should be on Bangerz instead, least favourite of the album.
    MANiCURE - 8/10 - I love how her voice sounds on this track.
    Do What U Want - 7/10 - Catchy song but it sounded so much better when she performed it live and I really disliked R Kelly's part.
    Artpop - 10/10 - L-O-V-E it.
    Swine - 7/10 - The lyrics and singing are great but the parts in between verses really put me off.
    Donatella - 8/10 - I like the sort of sarcastic lyrics or however you would describe it.
    Fashion! - 7/10 - I like it but it just feels somewhat lacking.
    Mary Jane Holland - 8/10 - Good but again I feel like it's lacking.
    Dope - 10/10 - L-O-V-E it and it's melancholic vibes.
    Gypsy - 10/10 - Another one I love, been singing this (in my head) all day, my favourite from the album.
    Applause - 8/10 - I loved it when it first came out, but It doesn't have the same effect on me now.

Overall I really like Artpop. Being a big fan of Gaga I have to say that in comparison to Born This Way and The Fame Monster it sits in between them- being better than BTW but not as good as TFM.

17. ThatOneHuman

Out Status:
    All but family
    I saw this, I definitely have to post my ratings for the songs.

Aura - My first thought: "What exactly am I listening to?" Overall thoughts: Rather odd. But, I like certain parts of it. Rating: 5/10.

Venus - My First thought: "The beat is pretty addictive." Overall thoughts: Love the beat and the chorus. Rating: 7/10.

G.U.Y. - My first thought: "Well then..." Overall thoughts: Her voice, lawdy~ Rating: 8/10.

Sexxx Dreams - My first thought: "Interesting way she's doing it." Overall thoughts: Dear lord, this is dirty. Rating: 6/10.

Jewels N' Drugs - My first thought: "A man?" Overall thoughts: This sounds so old school with the rap mixed in. Rating: 8/10.

MANiCURE - My first thought: "Is that really Gaga singing!?" Overall thoughts: Why is this so amazing sounding? Rating: 9/10.

Do What You Want - My first thought: "Yeees." Overall thought: This is my jaaaam! So addictive! Rating: 10/10.

ARTPOP - My first thought: "She sounds so sweet." Overall thoughts: Well, too bad the sweet sound of her voice couldn't make this one better. Rating: 5/10.

Swine - My first thought: "There is that feisty voice I adore!" Overall thoughts: Time to learn all these lyrics to this awesome song! Rating: 10/10.

Donatella - My first thought: "Those first few speaking lines...why, Gaga? Whhhy?" Overall thoughts: It's not the worst on the album, but definitely not the best either. Rating: 7/10.

Fashion! - My first thought: "Ooh. I like where this is going." Overall thoughts: The perfect song for cruising in a convertible. Rating: 7/10.

Mary Jane Holland - My first thought: "Very interesting starting beat." Overall thoughts: I don't think I should love the lyrics as much as I do. Rating: 7/10.

Dope - My first thought: "Is someone taking piano lessons?" Overall thoughts: She sounds more drunk than anything in most parts. Rating: 5/10.

Gypsy - My first thought: "A slow song? Oh, how I love you, Gaga." Overall thoughts: One of the better songs of the album, voice and lyric wise. Rating: 9/10.

Applause - My first thought: "What is this junk? This CAN'T be my precious LG!" Overall thoughts: I shall forever sing this song. Rating: 8/10.

OVERALL ALBUM THOUGHTS: Definitely not her best, but I still like it quite a bit.

18. person57

I'm in love with Dope and Do What u Want :slight_smile: