1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Book Club- "Will Grayson, Will Grayson" SPOILER ALERT!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GirlWhoWaited, Nov 6, 2013.

1. GirlWhoWaited

So, here we go everybody. I hope you enjoyed the book. Let's talk. Here are some questions to get us started.
    -What did you think of the book as a whole? Was it entertaining?
    - Who did you most identify with, and why?
    - If someone did to you what Maura did to will, how would you deal with it?
    - Do you think Tiny is stereotypical, and if so, do you think he was written that way intentionally?
    - How did you feel about the dual narration? Was it made better or worse by the decision to have the book written by two different authors?
    - Favorite line?
    - Least favorite component of the story.
    - Do you think there was an underlying message?

For me, it took a little while to grab hold of my interest. I'm a huge John Green fan, but I kind of hated Tiny at the beginning. I kept thinking, John, you hang out with so many gay people, why is this kid such an insufferable cliché? But as the story progressed, and started to explore the idea of judging people at face value, I realized that I'd been caught in a cleverly rigged trap. I had been so fixated on begrudging Tiny's page time, because he was a cliché, that I didn't notice myself becoming the villain of the story. I think that's a great lesson for all of us.

2. GirlWhoWaited

And also, I did like the dual narration. Will and will were so wonderfully different, and having separate authors obviously had something to do with it. I'll admit that will was my favorite to read, though. :slight_smile:

3. GirlWhoWaited

... *looks around*...anybody here? :eusa_whis

4. Saint Otaku

Haven't read it, nor any of Green's books, but it looks interesting :slight_smile:

5. GirlWhoWaited

We're still voting on next month's book if you'd like to join us. :slight_smile: There's another thread with a poll.

6. Saint Otaku

I already voted, creating a seven-way tie in doing so ^.^

7. GirlWhoWaited

I remember this now... *glare of doom*. Lol. Just kidding...kind of... :lol:

8. Lucky Oshawott

Omg. I never actually knew about this Book Club, but I literally just finished this book today. John Green is by far my favourite author. It was great! :slight_smile:

9. GirlWhoWaited

Well, that's lucky! Feel free to jump in! :slight_smile:

10. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    Oh cool! I didn't know about this either.

This is my second favorite john green book, and I loved every bit. I think the fact that tiny was so steryotypical was balanced out by not brig able to tell o.w.g was gay even though we were in his head.
    A great read for anyone.

We have any nerd fighters here btw!?
    DFTBA GUYS!

11. GirlWhoWaited

That's an interesting idea. will was very private about his feelings, which was really stark contrast to Tiny, who wrote a musical about his.

And, yes. Nerdfighters are everywhere. :wink: DFTBA.

12. musican

I found the book very interesting. Reading from the gay Will Grayson's perspective, I would've thought that he'd cringe at the idea of talking to Tiny so I love that they hang out together. I also love how so many of the characters grew to understand one another as well as themselves better throughout the book.

I liked Tiny's character. And I like that Will was straight and was his best friend because so many times gay guys are presumed to have just female friends. The fact that their friendship also had the "I love you even though you make me completely nutso sometimes" aspect made it that much more genuine. I also like that their friendship is a great example of the dynamic between introverts and extroverts.

(Sorry if anything I said is incomprehensible or rambly - I'm typing just before heading to bed xD)

What was your favorite John Green book?

13. GirlWhoWaited

This is a great observation! I hadn't thought much about that. :slight_smile: