1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I finally watched World War Z...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tyrael, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Tyrael

So yeah, I have been waiting ages. I have read the book by Max Brooks and also I'm a big big movie fan who will watch all sorts of movies. After all the positive reviews etc I was expecting to be blown away.

So I picked it up on blu-ray and gave it a whirl. I must admit, I was thoroughly disappointed! I felt it dragged on a lot at times and just didn't have the energy I was hoping for. Not to mention the fact it is almost nothing like the book in any way. I was happy to see the part at the start which they filmed in Glasgow, because that's where I'm from and I was there during filming lol.

Besides that I just didn't feel it, where did all these positive reviews come from? Movie critics who never read the book? Or does a zombie flick with great special FX in it automatically pass as good? Interested to know what you guys an girls thought of it!

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't understand in the slightest why this was made into a movie. That's not me having a pop at the source material but to me it would work a whole lot better as a mini series and would be able to differentiate itself from the Walking Dead.

As is it's just another Tai Pan and only really good for playing "where's Bobby Petta?" during the scenes shot in Glasgow.

3. I was pissed when they cured zombies instead of using the Redekker Plan.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never read the book, so I thought it was marginally respectable zombie action. The part about zeds "detecting terminally-ill people" was very contrived, but points for creativity and dramatic tension.

Cassindra, I didn't remember any ability to cure the zombie virus, just repel them from attacking the living.

5. Tyrael

There wasn't any curing of zombies in the movie, they just discovered that if they infected themselves with a terminal virus they could become effectively invisible to the zombies. It was a terrible ending I must say, considering there wasn't even many good parts before it.

RSwordsman you really need to read the book to understand just how unlike it the film is lol. I agree with what GeeLee said, a mini series would have been better. There's plenty good zombie flicks out there which are better than this. One of the best I've ever seen was a french movie called La Horde (The Horde) which was fantastic!

6. It's a similar basic idea, and nowhere to be found in any sort of form in the book. The book has the Redekker Plan, which was morally questionable in the extreme, and sacrificed millions upon millions of unsuspecting innocent civilians by building safe zones in high threat areas and using them as bait to lure the zombies away from those few safe zones intended to survive the crisis. Humanity survived by being coldly practical and then fighting an extremely bloody and protracted campaign, not by inventing something to prevent zombies from attacking so they could be easily mopped up. It was also far, far, far too optimistic and morally clean compared to all the stuff done in the book.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds grim, cold, and the only thing badass enough to save us from extinction/awesome enough to sell a great novel. Now I'm really sorry they made a neat happy ending for the movie; the original would have had a hundred times the emotions involved.

8. Tyrael

Yeah it's pretty harsh, but it would definitely do the trick if it was implemented the way they describe it. It's calculated and brutal. That is why I really didn't get why the movie went the way it did, it just didn't do the book justice. Though I suppose it wasn't an easy book to translate to film, they probably should have left it alone. Though it would be nice to see something brutal, cold and harsh make it onto film to show the other side of the coin.

9. Ticklish Fish

I haven't read or watch the movie, but on wiki now on the Redekker Plan....

Damn, that's sick in the mentally disturbing sense not "cool" sense

10. Tyrael

Well when you're facing extinction, the mentally disturbing and sick plan might just be the only one which can save you. You should definitely check out the book. I wouldn't recommend the movie tbh, unless you base it on it's own merits (of which there aren't many) and pretend it has nothing to do with the book.

11. Ticklish Fish

zombie stuffs aren't really my thing, sci fi anytime :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

from the wiki of Zombiepedia on World War Z: "This time period was characterized by a combination of denial and profiteering. This was likely based on the Western response to the AIDS virus."

Maybe this book is just an allegory/representation of on how fuck up human natures are

12. UndercoverGypsy

Well... Nobody's posted this yet.
    [​IMG]

13. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I still can't get my head round why they left out the Battle of Yonkers. Only reason I can think of is a bunch of marketing trolls (Dilbert FTW!) decided that the US Army making a complete arse out of the battle and losing horribly as a result wouldn't play well to the average "'MERICA F*** YEAH!" American which comprises the entire movie going audience in the world (in the minds of the trolls).

14. Ticklish Fish

Have there been even a movie about American solders losing? Or any movie in the globe about their own country losing?

15. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Take it as just one of the excerpts never touched upon in the book, that was expanded on in the form of a movie.
    It's not horrible, but if at any time, you thought you were going to walk in, and see anything remotely similar to the book, that sounds like bad thinking on a personal level.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not my favorite zombie flick, but I didn't hate it, except the end, and the solution; though it was okay in that manner, just not for this movie.
    I think I was more put off by the blatant product placement. =P

16. js28

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I could not agree more. The book would have been perfect for a mini-series. What a wasted opportunity.

17. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I remember being in glasgow watching them film some scenes. I did watch the movie though and thought it as crap.

I've been waiting forever for a really decent zombie film. Oh well, maybe next time..

18. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Fair enough. But it's one battle which is for the purposes of showing that from a military standpoint you can't approach a zombie attack in the same way you'd approach an attack by humans. I can't get my head round why you seemingly can't depict that on film, especially when you can show how them using what was learned at Yonkers leads to them retaking the country.

19. Tyrael

Yeah I mean there's so many things that were just bad about it. I didn't watch it on the assumption it would be like the book though, I had already heard so much about it from the internet etc that I knew it wouldn't be. I just expected...I don't know, something better :S

20. Hrantou

They really have nothing in common other than both having the title "World War Z". I was AT LEAST hoping to see the Battle of Yonkers. But no. It was just Brad Pitt running around the world fighting zombies. Then the ending? Dafuq? I don't know who thought of that ending but they should not be allowed to make movies based on popular books ever again.

To me the movie should just be labeled a cash grab. The only reason people watched it was because of the book...and everyone who watched it left disappointed, me included.