1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about a book: "A Separate Peace"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tightrope, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember reading this either in middle school or high school.

The theme was about a friendship between two very different boys and it was a trying book, as in tragic. Did the book remain neutral on the topic of sexuality, as in making it irrelevant or not easily determined, or did it have a sexual undercurrent.

Perhaps some of you have read it more recently or remember it more vividly.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think sexuality was a relevant topic. I read ASP in my sophomore year of high school, and while I remember the themes about self-discovery, guilt, duty to one's country, and friendship, I don't think there was really sexual tension between the leads.

3. LD579

Everyone interprets books differently. It's too hard to tell, and, as it stands with literary analysis, it's best not to presume an author's intentions.

Personally, I thought that while the sexuality aspect was not exactly relevant, it could be seen as a subtext. Subtexts are not reliable, though.