1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop help!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Helen, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

As you probably already know by now, my laptop's just about on it's last legs, and I must prepare for the worst. However, being the sentimental bunny I am, I simply cannot even contemplate losing my files. I have far too many music files, as well as plenty of pictures and videos that are all very dear to me. I have been told by someone clever that I can take my hard drive out of my laptop (and sure enough, after he downloaded my service manual and read through it copiously, he said that there should be a four screw panel where my hard drive is, and he was right!).

But what do I have to do to this hard drive in order to get the files onto my new laptop, when I get one?

2. sdc91

I wouldn't suggest taking out the hard drive. You'd have to hook it back up to something to transfer files.

I'd recommend getting a new computer and a transfer cable and using the operating systems' file transfer wizard, or buying a portable hard drive to back up your files and then transfer it onto the new computer when you buy it later.

I'd go with the second option, since you'd have a drive to backup your new computer on in case the hard drive on that fails. They're pretty cheap and it's a good idea to always have a backup.

3. Helen

Helen Guest

Thing is, I won't be able to get to my files. My laptop won't even let Windows load, so if I want my files, I have no choice but to manually remove the hard drive.

4. Alex

You can try creating a Linux live-cd, that should enable you to boot and put your files on a USB-disk

5. Helen

Helen Guest

How do I do that?

6. Alex

www.ubuntu.com you can download it there, theres a guide on that site aswell. But you have to burn it as an image on a cd, then make ur pc boot from it, it might not work. For example if the HDD is like.. dead.. nothing can be read from it that easy.

7. Chris89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What I would do if I were you, is take it to a professional and see what that person says about saving your files. A professional will most likely know what to do to save your files. They understand not wanting to loose everything- that would be horrible!
    But I'm sure someone who works with computers for a living will have a more than capable suggestion for you

8. PatC

Better still woulb be if you have an external hdd, or an MP3 player with a tone of storage. Then run the ubuntu live cd. that way, you have enough space to do that, the other thing is, you could put damn small linux on a pendrive, and boot from that. That doesn't even require burning a cd:slight_smile:.

9. Alex

Thats even better :slight_smile: forgot that linux thingie

10. PatC

That linux thingy turned me into a geek. That and the maze screensaver on windows 95:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:(hell yes, I got that bitch on vista:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).