1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with LGBT Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ninerw, Nov 28, 2013.

1. ninerw

Hey guys,

So I was watching Geography Club today and even though I have read the book since I was 17, the movie felt way more profound to me. It seems to happen every time I watch an LGBT movie, I am struck by the "Hollywood" of it all. It feels so real and you make such a strong connection that it is hard to let go.

I didn't know if this belonged here, but I thought it would be a good discussion topic. How does everyone else feel about LGBT movies? Do they make you pine for Hollywood or do they make reflect on the life you live? Have movies in general skewed your perceptions of the LGBT society or relationships? How do you cope with these feelings?

It's not that I hate movies or LGBT movies...but sometimes it gets hard to get past the "realness" of everything even though it is all fiction.

2. thekillingmoon

I don't think movies are very realistic for the most part, any movies actually, not just lgbt. Some may leave an impression because of a tear jerking story or because you can relate to a character in some ways.

Of course, they don't exactly reflect how relationships are. In reality everything is a lot more plain, people don't always have witty lines to say, there can be a lot of awkwardness and awkward silences. And no one looks like they just walked out of a beauty parlor 24/7. In movies people often wake up with perfect hair and make up, we all know that's not how it is in reality lol. Sex scenes in lgbt movies aren't always very realistic either, many of those roles are played by straight actors.

You have to take it with a grain of salt. There are a lot of watchable movies that you can enjoy, only few that leave a lasting impression and even with those movies, you can't expect real relationships to be like that.

3. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I feel like gay movies in particular go out of their way to show how hard it is to be gay, how unlucky in love gay men are, and how circumstances prevent them from ever ending up together. Out of three gay themed movies I've watched these last few days, ZERO had the two guys end up together.. I'm just sick of it. I want a happy ending for ONCE. Ugh :frowning2:

4. I really don't see them well - we are always struggling, miserable, or we have to split up

there is never a couple that ends up happily ever after :bang: :***:

5. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's exactly what I wrote in my post above. I just want happy gay movies where they end up together. You can say what you want about eCupid and Is It Just Me, not exactly quality movies.. but still they both had happy endings, and they were both funny and romantic, not to be taken too seriously. I want more movies like that. Like.. I get it, LGBT people struggle, ok, enough already. We will never be equal unless you treat us like everybody else. We are more than the issues facing our community, we are individuals, some are happy and in love. Others are not. The problem right now is that we only see the depressing, sad, unrequited love kind of movies. I just don't understand why :frowning2: I don't mind those movies, but when those are the only ones getting made, then yes, there's an issue. I want more happy and positive movies, with happy endings, where the main characters end up together. That would be nice.

6. Amerigo

they aren't ethnic enough, and almost always end with a happy ending i.e. someone getting laid, thus far from the reality of it all.

7. DesertTortoise

There's La Cage aux Folles for comedy, and no tragic ending.
    And Wild Reeds (French) -- beautiful discovery of young love.

8. fulcrum

They always seem to focus on the sexual relationships more than the emotional real world stuff. And all the emotions seem exaggerated somehow. I mean the emotions are strong, but it just feels unnatural somehow. Maybe they mean to appeal to people still heavily in the closet, hence the intensity.

9. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They are so boring, unrealistic and cheesy. Focused way too much on sexual stuff presenting homosexuals as promiscuous. I rather chew on electric wires than watch these silly movies.

10. flatlander48

When we read a book, we have the words and we must create the images for ourselves based on those words. With a movie, or TV show, we have the words but the images are presented to us in such a way that it reinforces the words and vice-versa. I think that visual aspect accounts for the difference.

11. Saint Otaku

I don't usually watch any movie unless I see it has a good rating, and I do not except LGBT movies from that. That said, I have heard the main problem with LGBT movies is that they're too focused upon the romances and sex, they're too happy (though as Roger Elizabeth De Bris said: "Keep it Pretty, Keep it Witty, Keep it Gay!")

12. Silver Sparrow

They also seem (at least for movies marketed towards younger people) to be journey of self-discovery type movies. The character has to go and find out who they are.

13. tex st

tex st Guest

yeah idunno, i'd like to see more gay movies having a positive message/happy end

14. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    These past few days I've watched a lot of gay movies, ALL of them had sad endings. I just.. I don't get it:frowning2:

15. musicrebel

Yeah I'm not really a fan of LGBT movies because they have an over-use of focusing on the sexual aspect of the relationship and not the emotional-aspect of it. This one I watched recently called "The Guest House", it was pretty cheesy and had an over-use of the sexual-relationship stuff. I really didn't like it because one of the characters looked exactly like my old therapist I used to have and it creeped me out a bit.

16. ninerw

I've been the opposite. I have watched 3 gay movies each with a supposed happy ending and every time I am wrecked afterwards. Pining for Hollywood is what I like to call it because you want what is presented in front of you through the movie or imagination. And it gets hard to separate the fantasy from the reality. When you do, it can be really jarring, sending you into a downward descent.

But there is a hopefulness, especially with the movies that focus on the journey of self-discovery. IMO during my journey of self discovery I always wanted to do it how the movies or books told me to do it, and now I get the message they are sending. You have to do it in your way because it is your life.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This afternoon, I just saw Freefall, in German with English subtitles. It was touted as Germany's answer to Brokeback Mountain, well, that was a bit of an ambitious statement. It was the same generic theme of a straight guy, complete with pregnant wife, discovering his love for a guy.

This theme is starting to get a little shopworn I'm afraid. It was well-acted and competently directed, but it lacked that certain grace that Brokeback has in spades.

Of course the ending was less than happy...but not terribly tragic either.

18. UndercoverGypsy

Who can hope to match Ang Lee, though?

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly!

20. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting topic - I guess whenever watching "regular" movies the unrealistic/Hollywood storyline and treatment didn't usually bother me that much, and thinking about it now it's probably because I don't identify 100% with that "heteronormative" reality. However I tend to cringe a lot more at contrived scenarios, caricatural portrayals or poor character development when it deals with GLBTQ situations/characters. Unless it's an obvious comedy that is otherwise well produced (Mambo Italiano comes to mind).