1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Piano

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Hopeful, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Hopeful

Hey, I've played the piano for years and years now and haven't been practicing anything good in a while. I studied classical/whatever came in those learn to play piano books for a long time, then I played mostly classical and some folk music but on my own I've always been into learning piano songs like The Entertainer, Open Arms by Journey, Ben Folds, etc. Any suggestions for new stuff?

Also, are there any good websites for free piano music downloads? Or if not free sheet music, any sites that are worth joining and paying the fee? I see so many out there and I'm not sure which are good or not... Thanks!

2. beyond

Ever thought of trying jazz?

3. Gallatin

Well, Billy Joel has a lot of songs that are piano-heavy (like the aptly named "Piano Man", "Lullaby", etc.). Elton John is another. Also some of The Beatles' songs (and Paul McCartney's later solo work) have a lot of piano in them.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not in the position to take up piano at this point, but whenever I do get the chance, I will because of this guy. I can rattle off a number of piano-driven songs of his:

Miami 2017 (intro and outro especially)

New York State Of Mind

*She's Got A Way (piano is the ONLY instrument)

And So It Goes

Leningrad

That should keep you busy for awhile. Can you tell I'm obsessed? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Gallatin

Ah can't believe I forgot "New York State of Mind". One of my faves.

Two others I just thought of - "Baby Grand" and "She's Always a Woman".

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I left out Baby Grand because it's a duet and might not transfer that well, but Always a Woman is another great one. Might even be easy enough to sing along to as well, if you're a fairly competent singer.

7. AAASAS

You can get almost any classical music piece online, classical music is of the Public Domain, and some early 20th century music is the public domain.

A lot of other sheet music especially for modern music is going to cost you because people still want to make money of it.

I don't think pirating modern sheet music is big enough to access any song for free.

At least that's what I have found, if the song is 60+ years you can find it most likely for free.

8. Hopeful

I have, actually. I used to hate jazz and I don't know how much I'd enjoy hearing it on the radio a lot, but I'd love to learn some. Do you have any suggestions?

9. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are some really amazing peices written for piano from different game soundtracks. My my favourites are "those who fight" and "one winged angel" both from FFVI, They are really fun to play :slight_smile: