1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Belle and Sebastian fans?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by HuskyPup, Dec 9, 2013.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really love this group, especially the albums If You're Feeling Sinister, and The Boy With The Arab Strap, but I hardly ever find any other GLBT folks who seem to like them.

Anyone out there?

Also, for a person who likes these two albums what else would you suggest?

2. LiquidSwords

If You're Feeling Sinister is perfect, I rarely hear anyone talk about B&S so you've made my day. Seeing Other People has to be my favourite moment from IYFS, especially with the gay (I think) lyrics.

I know I've heard Boy With The Arab Strap but I can't remember it so well so it can't have had much of an impact :confused: I like Tigermilk although I still feel it's not as good as IYFS. I remember enjoying the EPs they did right after IYFS also so you could get hold of them too I suppose.

I know they've had several albums since but I've never listened so I couldn't tell you, one day I'll get round to it but it's just that feeling that they'll never top IYFS puts me off.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I need 2 listen to if your feeling sinister again. I do remember a few songs off it but not too many. Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying was cute ^^

4. LiquidSwords

Oh and if you like B&S then it makes sense that you'd like The Smiths, although I'm guessing you're already familiar? If not then I like Hatful of Hollow best so I'd start with that.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, yes, I very much like The Smiths, especially the early stuff. And the Belle and Sebastian EPs were really good.

Very nice to see some other fans!

I also lost track of the later material...a few good cuts, but not as tight, overall.

I liked Damien Rice as well, seems to have disappeared, he has.

6. LiquidSwords

Absolutely the early Smiths stuff is the best! I like you :slight_smile:

Didn't have a clue who Damien Rice was when you mentioned, definitely remember Cannonball though, seem to remember it being on a Brit Awards compilation I used to listen to :lol:

Nick Drake is the type of thing a B&S fan should like, Pink Moon (the album) is perfect. Elvis Costello too, maybe.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, a huge fan of Nick Drake, have the four LP box-set!

And I like Elvis Costello, though for somewhat different reasons.

Oddly, I'm having a hard time finding a whole lot coming out right now that I like. A few things, but not a lot.

8. LiquidSwords

Well all my recommendations have been a waste then! :lol: If you like them all though then at least the recs make sense!

Yeah I'm getting that too, I have been neglecting 2013 music a bit but everything I do hear I tend to e underwhelmed by. Some of the stuff I was really looking forward to this year was a bit disappointing for me too like MBV, Arcade Fire, MIA, The Knife, Kanye, ah well.

Ok one more try, please say you haven't heard On Fire by Galaxie 500.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, haven't heard Galaxie 500. Or I should say, I know I've heard them at some time, but I can't recall just what!

Aside from their first album, I've found Arcade Fire a bit too bombastic/over-blown, for my tastes, kind of over-done/over-dramatic. Similar case with Vampire Weekend. It's cute, but doesn't really move me. But that's just me. I did like the group Shovels and Rope, this alt-country duo that I saw this year, from South Carolina. Not really familiar with MBV, The Knife and Kanye. I guess I have sorta quirky, fussy tastes!

#9 HuskyPup, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  10. LiquidSwords

Funeral is best yeah but I have enjoyed to some extent most everything since aswell. Vampire Weekend I'm with you completely, first album was big at my school when it came out but never really did anything for me and I felt pretty much the same about their latest. My Bloody Valentine I love, Loveless is great but reunion album this year was disappointing like I say.

Will check out Shovels and Rope after I've got me some sleep.

Oh and the latest Yeah Yeah Yeahs, tres disappointing also.

#10 LiquidSwords, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  11. SFSorrow

I've got a few of their albums, not listened to them in ages so I'm not too familiar with them, so you've inspired me to do so again this evening. Most often I listen to their compilation of singles and EPs, 'Push barman to open old wounds' - Dog on wheels, Legal man (just watched the video to that and it features drag queens!) and Lazy Line Painter Jane are probably my favourite songs on there. And The Smiths are obviously great too.

And the best new album I heard this year has to be Savages debut.

Are you familiar with the late-80s C86/ indie-pop scene? Lots of bands influenced by The Smiths and that influenced Belle & Sebastian. The best way to explore them is probably to get on youtube and work your way through the songs on these compilations, loads of good stuff on them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CD86-Tracks-From-Birth-Indie/dp/B000HT3KO2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scared-Get-...386699373&sr=1-1&keywords=scared+to+get+happy

Here's an article about the history of indie pop you might find interesting too:
    http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/6176-twee-as-fuck/

And this song is one of my favourites from the scene, but it's not on either of those albums:
    [YOUTUBE]Z8rwEKzrDas[/YOUTUBE]

#11 SFSorrow, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  12. timo

B&S are pretty nice. I haven't listened to them a lot but If You're Feeling Sinister is great.

They were supposed to play a festival I went to last summer but cancelled :frowning2: Thankfully they will play there next year.

Anyway. Twee pop forever.

[youtube]km9VJgSKEPg[/youtube]

You did not just say that about Arcade Fire :lol: I agree about MBV and MIA though, major disappointments.

13. LiquidSwords

Another listen is probably in order but it feels like there's nothing pulling me back to it, and I won't listen again if it feels like a chore. Sorry :lol:

Also, although MBV was a disappointment, I still quite like it, not like the rest of the artists I listed.