1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Sick of Songs

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Data, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Data

Data Guest

So I listen to songs that I like OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER until my mom goes straight up insane. She can't see how I can listen to them so many times without getting sick of them.

I listened to Fruhling in Paris by Rammstein for a week straight. It is still an excellent song and I'd listen to it for another week!

Then I listened to Mann Gegen Mann for a week and I put it on a Youtube looper everytime I took a shower. Again, I still listen to it over and over.

Now I've been listening to Instant Crush by Daft Punk over and over again and my mom just yelled from the parlor "You've been listening to that song for 3 days non stop!!! Don't you get sick of it? EVER?!?" I just said NO! I never get sick of them ever. I really don't.

The one catch...I have OCD. :eusa_danc I'm wondering what others think.

2. Tzoa

There are some songs I get sick of. If a radio station plays a song over and over and over again, I can go from loving it to wanting to never listen to it again in just a few days.

But other songs I listen to on a constant loop. I've literally been listening to Learn me Right by Mumford and Sons with Birdy for the past two hours, and can easily keep going. It's my study song. I put it on and get to work. Sometimes I put Counting Stars on a loop, but it's not as effective. I've also put I Love It (I Don't Care) on a constant loop when I'm cleaning and never got sick of it.

So, I guess it depends on the song and why/when I'm listening to it.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I've done the same, usually listening to a new song on repeat for at least a few days (depending on how many times I get to listen to music).

Something I do, since I don't have the cash to spend on new music, is buffer a music YouTube video. Lyrics video, something. If I'm on my iPod touch, once I'm out of range of WiFi, I'm stuck with whatever song I decided to buffer before taking the dog out/whatever. So may as well take advantage of how long it took to buffer, right?

4. timo

Not too long ago I wanted to ritually kill my downtairs neighbour because he kept on blasting the horror called Wrecking Ball on volume 86 and it made me sick. Miley-induced vomit everywhere.

But it's different with music you like. I can listen to certain albums over and over without getting bored of them.

5. Hexagon

I listen to songs over and over sometimes. For like a week solid. Then I get bored. I try not to annoy anyone else with it though.

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Happens all the time. There are certain bands I don't like not because their songs are bad but because every song they put out is immediately played to death and I get sick of it. Most notably the Foo Fighters.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if my mom's been listening to the Imagine Dragons CD that I bought and then forgot to take with me. :dry:

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm not quite that extreme with my repetitive listening, but I have shocked some of my friends when they find out that the most played song in my music collection has over four hundred plays (probably around 430 now). My favorite album, Agalloch's The Mantle, which I only listen to from start to finish, has around 75 plays on each song, and I listened to that one a ton via a full-album video on YouTube before I broke down and bought it, so I've probably listened to it 100 times through by now, maybe even 120. And I still love it. :slight_smile:

9. Data

Data Guest

Yes, that is a very good point about how the songs on the radio can get old if you don't absolutely love them. I used to turn off the radio if the start of a Taylor Swift song came on.

I guess I just get an attachment to a song when I can relate to it strongly. Then I want to hear nothing but that song.

10. freeskies

Songs that i love, i tend to listen over and over again until i reach a threshold where i know i'll get sick listening to it again. That's when i stop and come back after a long gap! on a side note, I dont know why i dont really get sick of Taylor Swift.... i like her, probably because she is a feminist and likes writing about her ex's . Although i dont like her more popular auto tuned songs from the radio, i like listening to her little known songs that seem so genuine and raw. She is a brilliant songwriter!

11. sammy1

It all depends, if I'm in a depressed mood I won't even listen to music because it's just my same songs over and over and over again and it just pisses me off sometimes even tho I do have a large variety of different genres I still do get sick of music completely occasionally. But when I find a new song I love I will listen to it over and over pretty much until I am sick of it.

12. Harve

There's a song I've listened to 203 times. Sorry not sorry.

This is over many years though. I don't think I'd ever listen to the same song twice in a row or more than 5-6 times a day, let alone for hours straight (!!!).

13. double a

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I DO THE SAME THING. i just have a cd that I become obseced with and play it while i sleep

#13 double a, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  14. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have some albums I've listened to around 20-30 times all the way through in one sitting, not consecutively though.
    I think the most I've done is I'll get addicted to a song for a couple days and listen to it 70~100 times in a row.

15. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember a few songs I was obsessed with :

Lord of the Rings (Hobbit something,the one with the violins haha)
    MGMT Kids
    Linkin Park Numb...

I don't think it has much to do with OCD (Well maybe in your case it does) But I don't have OCD and I can easily listen to the same CD for aaaaaages on repeat.

16. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Try classical. You'll have hundreds of years' worth of artists to draw from. :grin: